Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:56:01 PM
712921 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Amazing Spider-Man « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Amazing Spider-Man  (Read 13522 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 03, 2012, 11:22:59 PM »

Right now I'm hiding out in my house after squealing like a fan-girl while watching this film.

Gotta say, Andrew Garfield did a better job than Toby Meguire, much more lively.

Spidey was actually cracking wise in this one.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 05:31:22 AM »

Will never understand why it needed a reboot. They could've just carried on and used a new cast. No-one's really going to care are they? Saw the trailer for this when I went to see a re-showing of Jaws at the local cinema (which was Jawsome!), just looked like 90 odd mins of CGI spiderman flying around in mid-air with a CGI Lizard. That does not constitute "action" in a movie for me, I can see all that stuff in an xbox game...

dean

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 07:40:58 AM »

The question is was it good though?

I haven't heard much hype about this one, strange considering how strong the previous films were at the box office.

Less strange considering how terrible Spiderman 3 was.  I still hold out hope being a Spidey die-hard and a Garfield fan, but the fact I haven't heard much, good or bad, usually means its not going to go well.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 08:21:28 AM »

Decent, but not great.  Other than a few scenes, the 3-D was uninspired and unnecessary.  I thought the casting was good.  But how can you have a Spider-Man movie without J. Jonah Jameson and the other Daily Bugle characters?  Nooooo!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:27:08 AM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
dean

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »

Shame...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »

Decent, but not great.  Other than a few scenes, the 3-D was uninspired and unnecessary.  I thought the casting was good.  But how can you have a Spider-Man movie without J. Jonah Jameson and the other Daily Bugle characters?  Nooooo!

No J.Jonah Jameson.....? Wow....

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 02:54:30 PM »

J.Jonah? Bah! He never provided any entertainment value.  Buggedout

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:19:54 AM »

No J.Jonah Jameson.....? Wow...

Nope.  No Robbie Robertson, Ned Leeds, or Betty Brant, either.  Not to mention the lack of Harry Osborne and Mary Jane Watson.  I guess they didn't want to overload this one and decided to save up a few characters for the sequel.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »

No J.Jonah Jameson.....? Wow...

Nope.  No Robbie Robertson, Ned Leeds, or Betty Brant, either.  Not to mention the lack of Harry Osborne and Mary Jane Watson.  I guess they didn't want to overload this one and decided to save up a few characters for the sequel.

Could be....too bad.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Archivist

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 06:20:04 AM »

I caught it this weekend, the first weekend of its screening in Australia.  The turnout was not big, but I usually go to a small independent cinema rather than a multiplex.

To me, it was a solid movie but not over-the-top awesome.  Having seen the many Spider-Man movies over the decades, and read a fair number of comics, I have witnessed the evolution of the character and story lines, and this one seemed like a good retelling of the story.  I can see why they left out J. Jonah Jamieson and everybody else, as this concentrated on his early life.  The action scenes were superb but throughout I would suddenly remember that they were being done with CGI, and I found myself trying to discern what was CG and what was not.  After a while I just gave up and enjoyed it.

Emma Stone portrays a really sweet and no-nonsense kind of girl, and Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker was very well played.  I liked how they used a lot of Spidey-mannerisms like the wise-cracks, and webbing up people's faces, eyes, mouths and hands just like in the comics.  I'm told that the 3D version is even more visually cool, but we only saw it in 2D.

Something that kind of spoiled the movie for me was knowing what major plot things were going to occur, and you can see it coming from miles away.  Yes, he's going to be bitten by a spider.  Yes, Uncle Ben is going to die.  Yes, he is going to invent web.  Somehow he gets inspired to put on a mask.  I think the problem with remakes and reboots of classic stories is that you know where it is going to go, and you're just waiting for them to get it over with so you can see what they do with it.  Had I never read a Spider-Man comic or seen any of the movies I would have enjoyed it a lot more, I think.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »

This was not a movie made by artists. This was a movie made by business men.  This was the movie Colombia pictures had to make or lose the rights to the franchise. This what the first couple of seasons of Smallvilie would have been like if it followed Spider-man instead of Superman.  As you can probably tell, I was disappointed with this movie.

For starters, even if they wanted a reboot-they should have done what the Incredible Hulk movie did and at least assume its audience knew the deal about Spider-man. They could have hinted at the origin while still establishing that this was a new series.

Secondly, I though a lot of the dialogue was pretty bad.  I liked that Spider man was cracking jokes, but most of the non-superhero moments where something out of a bad CW show.

Thirdly, I really didn't care about most of the characters.

As for the Lizard...While I consider myself just a casual fan of the Spider-man series, the Lizard is one of my favorite Marvel villains.  So I know in his earlier appearances he was really more of a man with reptilian features, but as my one friend Mike put it-he looks like a Goomba from the Super Mario brothers movie.

*Mild Spoilers*
And his plan would have been a lot better if we had seen it more as a real threat. He infects only a handful of people that we don't see again when their cured. It didn't seem really justified for the measures they took to stop it.
*End Spoilers*

So yeah...wasn't too happy coming out of the theater that night.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 11:33:49 AM »

Off to see it now. But I'm opting for 2D as it's cheaper, and it's the early show. Didn't feel like waiting til 10:30 tonight for the 3D.

By the trailers it looks like it's attempting to be a ripoff of Nolan's Bat-series, all angsty and dark.

But I assume I'll find out.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 05:31:33 PM »

I really, really dug this.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 08:14:09 PM »

I have plans to see it tomorrow with my girl and some friends. Looking forward to it!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 09:15:17 PM »

So...the post-credits scene.  Any guesses who it is?

Granted, if one is somewhat familiar with the comics, there's a pretty good chance one would know who it was.

But, that leads to Gwen and all.   Buggedout

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Amazing Spider-Man « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.