Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:10:43 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  the 'sound' of cassette tapes « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: the 'sound' of cassette tapes  (Read 10446 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 11:41:42 PM »

I have to admit to serendipity.  I've been wondering for about 6 weeks, where is my walkman??  Question  
used to love my walkman. taking the dog for long walks and blazing a brand new tape through the headphones, miss those days. I've never made the switch to ipods for some reason. my walkman even had a 3-way graphic equalizer, that's something even top-of-the-range stereos stopped having after around 2000ish - or at best they'd have fairly useless standard presets like 'rock', 'disco', 'jazz' etc... and none of them would sound exactly how you wanted it

I don't even own anything to play them on anymore. I don't have the heart to get rid of'em though. They're museum pieces.
fair enough. I've ended up re-buying half the albums I sold years ago anyway

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 01:08:54 PM »

I have to admit to serendipity.  I've been wondering for about 6 weeks, where is my walkman??  Question  
My car is so old it has a built in tape deck I haven't used in years ... but it did afford me the opportunity when it was new to reacquaint myself with my old mixes, mostly '80s Punk, New Wave, Hip hop, Dance...Classical - emphasis on CESAR FRANCK, RAVEL, BACH, BEETHOVEN, and my own humor tapes and Halloween music...  TeddyR  

AH!  I have so many tapes... but have lost many more!!!  Lookingup TeddyR BounceGiggle Bluesad

OH!  Oh yes!  '50s DOO WOP!!!  My friend had many many LP collections of those great '50s hit records, including a lot of radio and local city related records, some really great sh!t... hot... full of classics and not so well known minor hits, a great education all transcribed on my double header tape deck from turntable... one tape recording off the other came in real handy doing creative crap like mixing recordings and cut-up samples.   Smile
Our Dodge Caravan still has a cassette tape player and yesterday I was driving around listening to "Henry Mancini Pure Gold"....what a great tape! Wink

I love 50s DOO WOP! The 50s had some fabulous music...in fact even though my Mom was a teenager in the 50s I like her era's songs more than she does. She listened mostly to classical or jazz....both which I also love. Yes...I'm a bit ecclectic. TeddyR

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 01:50:19 PM »

I pretty much assume that digital recording preserves it exactly the way it was intended to sound.

this would stand to reason. but any music up to (at a guess) the mid 90s would not have been recorded digitally though, so that means there can be no definitive digital version of it.

I just think there's something about cassette tape that lends audio/music a certain something...

It certainly did for me....I'd go to the drugstore, buy a brick of TDK 60's for about $5.00 (seven cassettes), then go to the main branch of the Cleveland Public Library, fire up my twin-deck Sanyo AM-FM cassette recorder, and wind up with seven albums for less than the price of one.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 09:41:33 PM »

hah yeah I used to dub off cassettes from my library too (shhhh). oh it's okay now surely? they're not gona get us. "home taping is killing music", remember that logo... the music didn't die (most of it just got worse lol)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »

hah yeah I used to dub off cassettes from my library too (shhhh). oh it's okay now surely? they're not gona get us. "home taping is killing music", remember that logo... the music didn't die (most of it just got worse lol)
Yeah Home taping was gonna kill music just like VHS was gonna kill the movie theater. And now downloading is apparently gonna kill both of them  BounceGiggle

Jim H

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 02:50:50 AM »

I pretty much assume that digital recording preserves it exactly the way it was intended to sound.

Any recording is merely an imitation, and always an imperfect one, of the original sound.  When they have to transfer it to another format, there's always going to be alterations and changes further from the original.  Sometimes the artist is there doing it the way they want (some artists created their sounds with the hiss and clicks of vinyl being an intended component, interestingly enough), sometimes it's other people and they can botch it.

A prominent example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

I have heard songs where I like the effect cassette tapes have on them.  Some 80s music, with heavy electronic sound, seem to be enhanced by it.  More classic stuff (50s and 60s), or orchestral music, not as much.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 07:13:32 AM »

It certainly did for me....I'd go to the drugstore, buy a brick of TDK 60's for about $5.00 (seven cassettes), then go to the main branch of the Cleveland Public Library, fire up my twin-deck Sanyo AM-FM cassette recorder, and wind up with seven albums for less than the price of one.

I did this once when the SA Censor Board banned The Wall by Pink Floyd and a friend of mine taped the whole album for me onto two C90 cassettes from her tapes.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
claws
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »

I thought this was interesting enough to post here.

Limited edition "hard box" DVD hand numbered to 100 units.

Includes
-Large Hardbox
-Pink Cassette Tape with Music from the DVD
-Rare Stills
-Replica "International Press Kit"
-Stickers

Limited to 2 per customer.

This is a pre order, DVDs will ship in 3-4 weeks when hardboxes are in hand.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  the 'sound' of cassette tapes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.