Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:05:26 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  HIPPY-DIPPY HORROR FILMS « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HIPPY-DIPPY HORROR FILMS  (Read 27217 times)
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« on: July 13, 2012, 04:13:42 PM »

Cheap, cheesy, made during the late 60's / early 70's, these films were in a class by themselves, suffused with surrealism, marinated in mysticism, and drenched with drugs.

Semi-naked women, naked women, and naked women with outlandish jewelry were staples in these movies, as were emotionally detached ( READ, "stoned") young men looking for meaning, answers, or just a buzz and some hassle-free chocha.

This film is a textbook example of same, BLOOD SABBATH, from 1972. Feel free to add your favorite entries to the list.

Peace.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068289/

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
major jay

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 06:48:10 PM »

That covers about 75% of SOMETHING WEIRD VIDEO'S catalogue. TeddyR

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:50:31 PM »

Cheap, cheesy, made during the late 60's / early 70's, these films were in a class by themselves, suffused with surrealism, marinated in mysticism, and drenched with drugs.

Semi-naked women, naked women, and naked women with outlandish jewelry were staples in these movies, as were emotionally detached ( READ, "stoned") young men looking for meaning, answers, or just a buzz and some hassle-free chocha.

This film is a textbook example of same, BLOOD SABBATH, from 1972. Feel free to add your favorite entries to the list.

Peace.

ah, BLOOD FREAK fits this bill exactly: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0132888/

(also from 1972, also with the word "blood"... I had to check your link to see it isn't an alternate title for BLOOD SABBATH)

the whole film is on YouTube in about 10 parts.

also Hammer's DRACULA: AD 1972 (noticing a theme develop here lol) has elements of this subgenre...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
claws
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 11:49:32 PM »

The Velvet Vampire (1971). It has that groovy, surrealistic vibe going but still manages to be mainstream-good.
Raffine

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 06:35:30 AM »

Just wait until RC sees this thread.

He's gonna love it!   TeddyR

THE BOY WHO CRIED WEREWOLF (1973) features one of the more interesting sub-genres of hippies: Jesus Freaks (think Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell). They prove to be very helpful (spoiler alert) since the werewolf is killed when he trips and falls on their cross stump.

Here's the werewolf (Kerwin Matthews) visiting the Jesus Freak camp earlier in the film:

Small | Large

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »

Peace.

ah, BLOOD FREAK fits this bill exactly: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0132888/

(also from 1972, also with the word "blood"... I had to check your link to see it isn't an alternate title for BLOOD SABBATH)

the whole film is on YouTube in about 10 parts.

also Hammer's DRACULA: AD 1972 (noticing a theme develop here lol) has elements of this subgenre...

Here's the plot of BLOOD FREAK....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Freak

This is beyond tragic.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 12:27:36 PM »

VAMPIRE HAPPENING (1971) is a West German flick that fits the bill; I own a copy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vampire_Happening

Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 07:17:20 PM »

Peace.

Haha this is funny. I read the topic title in the first movie I thought of was BLOOD SABBATH. What a weird mess of a film.

TheDope
Movie Reviewer And Professional Nit-Picking Geek

Gone but not forgotten... well, KINDA forgotten.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 10:50:59 PM »

I'm sorry, but when I saw the heading of this post, my age caught up with me and I thought I'd be seeing this:

"Well man, there's gonna be a lot of wolfmen coming up from the southeast, pushing
a mummy front in our area until everyone just mellows out in time for some of those
Frankenstein Monster dudes raining down terror and stuff....  Then it's gonna get dark
and we should all just find some nice pharmaceuticals to take before turning in because,
lemme tell ya man, it's gonna be brutal tomorrow!  Chance of death: 100%, man!  Wow.

...so yeah, uh, stay indoors tomorrow."

- TGWD

TheDope: bringing the conversation to a grinding halt since 2002.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 07:42:36 AM »

The Velvet Vampire (1971). It has that groovy, surrealistic vibe going but still manages to be mainstream-good.

This is the first one I thought of, too.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 07:44:35 AM »

Here's one I bought a couple years ago:

Small | Large

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
major jay

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 08:16:42 AM »

Some titles I've bought from SWV.
I can't say I care that much for any of them, but they are nice time pieces.
THE NAKED ZOO

H76XDcSMygE

MANTIS IN LACE

THE HOOKED GENERATION and  THE PSYCHEDELIC PRIEST
The HOOKED GENERATION has a great commentary with William Grefe and Frank Henenlotter that's VERY funny.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:40:14 AM by major jay » Logged

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 05:51:08 PM »

this is the most hippy-fied, druggy, psychedelic giallo I've seen (also one of the best). from '71

Small | Large

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 01:41:35 PM »

I find the Apple to be the scariest hippy-related item I've seen   BounceGiggle

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 02:11:59 PM »

I find the Apple to be the scariest hippy-related item I've seen   BounceGiggle

That was pretty out there.
Not so much horror as sci-fi was this....

Small | Large

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  HIPPY-DIPPY HORROR FILMS « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.