Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:38:12 PM
714227 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Rotten Tomatoes Shuts down Dark Knight Rises comments after death threats « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rotten Tomatoes Shuts down Dark Knight Rises comments after death threats  (Read 8686 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: July 19, 2012, 07:13:11 AM »

Talk about your fan-boy overload!!

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/rotten-tomatoes-shuts-down-commenting-for-the-dark-knight-rises-after-death-threats/

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:14:16 AM »

Welcome to the "everyone's opinion is just as valid as everyone else's" generation.  Everyone thinks that what they have to say is important, and it SHOULD be said.  The 'Net brings out the worst of this sort.

I've never understood why people become so invested in other people liking the same stuff (movies, books, food, roller coasters, etc).  "Academic" debate on the merits of a work of art is one thing; calling someone out for different taste or just not liking something that is by its very nature subjective suggests very real psychopathology to me.

I've recently become rather immersed in several photography forums, and the rancor there over "good" vs "bad" is just stunning.  Absolutely stunning.  Some days, I wonder if is a job requirement of being a professional shooter to rag on other people's work...beyond, "it just does not work for me" and into "It's bad."

It's wild, too, how much of this stuff follows fads and gimmicks.  I guess that's true in any art form...flavor of the month becomes the yard stick.  I guess my problem is that I view "art" as somehow more organic, intuitive and internal and not so much "produced." 

That's the disconnect, I think.  If it's "produced," it becomes about "being liked" or "being accepted."  After all, the effort put into "production" implies a certain degree of seeking acceptance.  Fanatics seem to think movies are made for them; movies are business properties and (hopefully) about being sum total of artistic vision of a whole bunch of people practicing their craft.

See...I can post my unwanted opinions, too.   BounceGiggle  Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:25:06 AM »

Everyone has their opinions on the Nolan films, but really, death threats? On a film site? are these people really that stupid? it's the critics opinions, y'know, people who has years of training and experience doing their job to benefit the people who wants to go see it. Stupid die hard fans ruins can just about every thing in the movie business about comic book heroes.

yeah no.
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 02:58:22 PM »

Not surprised, especially after seeing the flak one of the sites I review for took after giving Uncharted 3 an unfavorable score.  Whatever happened to respectful disagreement?  Lookingup

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 05:11:56 PM »

Really!  It's not as if they were hating on THE LORD OF THE RINGS or something like that!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 06:05:34 PM »

So, it's not good enough that most critics are saying it's good. Everyone must love it.

What really blows me away is that the opinions of people who have seen the movie are being attacked by people who have not.

And I read the Marshall Fine review, just to see what he said. He didn't pan it or anything. It just disappointed him. He was generally kind to Nolan and the other two movies, and fairly specific in his criticisms, which seemed perfectly reasonable to me. He was clear about what he wanted from the movie, and why it didn't deliver. And he even mentioned what he did like about it.

This is a very disturbing phenomenon, whether the discussion is about entertainment, politics or whatever. On the one hand, you have somebody who knows what he's talking about, clearly stating an opinion and supporting it. On the other hand, you have people with their minds made up in spite of relative ignorance, rejecting all opposing opinions out of hand, and countering them with insults, name calling, hostility, etc. And they think they're winning the argument that way. That they even think there is one entirely correct opinion, especially in matters of entertainment, is crazy in itself.

Personally, I think a lot of sites are better with the comments turned off. I don't need to see the knee-jerk reactions of all the total strangers who have seen it before me. If I want someone else's opinion, I'll ask someone who's opinion matters to me.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 06:33:41 PM »

Somehow, I'm not too surprised.  I've practically been ran out of other forums for saying that Dark Knight wasn't that great of a movie and that i didn't like Ledger's take on Joker and I'm just a random joe on the 'net. 
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 07:00:26 PM »

This is nothing new really. Just have a wander over to youtube, click on any video, scroll down to the comments and see that everyone is at war with one another spewing hateful bile all over the internet. I just avoid it. It's the internet, it's strangers opinions - who cares? Why should you care? If someone doesn't like something that I do, then that's the way it is. I'm not going to get wound up over it for days on end or threaten them. Threatening someone in another country using a computer is totally childish and pathetic. The kind of people who post such things are idiots who have gorged mightily on "hype" and have waaay too much time on their hands.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 07:33:08 PM »

Somehow, I'm not too surprised.  I've practically been ran out of other forums for saying that Dark Knight wasn't that great of a movie and that i didn't like Ledger's take on Joker and I'm just a random joe on the 'net. 

And I wouldn't even consider your opinion to be all that uncommon. I don't really care for either of the first two Nolan Batman movies, and while I liked some things about Ledger's Joker, I didn't like his take on the character overall. I can think of lots of people who would say the same thing.

That's one of the great ironies of the Internet. You get exposed to a huge variety of information and opinions, but it's also easier to surround yourself with like-minded people who maintain the same narrow viewpoint. And when you inevitably encounter people who say otherwise, they're obviously wrong.

---------------------
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 09:30:21 PM »

I sometimes think insecurity plays a part in it.  I think deep down some of these people feel like they are being rejected because something they really love is being rejected.  It's pretty childish, actually. 

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 10:23:28 PM »

I sometimes think insecurity plays a part in it.  I think deep down some of these people feel like they are being rejected because something they really love is being rejected.  It's pretty childish, actually. 

Good point.

I suppose all of us on here are accustomed to having cinematic tastes outside the mainstream. It feels great to find people who like the same kind of movies, or to share a cheesy old B-flick with someone and see them enjoy it, but it's no surprise when people don't appreciate it the way we do. I see the same thing with Bronies, where criticism and ridicule are common enough that responding to it has almost become part of the fun. Having tastes outside the mainstream, you learn that if you are secure in what you like, it doesn't matter if someone else doesn't like it.

On the other hand, if you generally like popular things, you probably don't deal with that situation enough to get comfortable with it. And if you're the sort who cares what others think, and maybe equates popularity with merit, I can see how you might take it personally if someone criticizes something you like. If you let others tell you what is good, a dissenting voice might seem to be calling your tastes into question.

---------------------
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 10:08:58 AM »

Buncha f**kin' morons.

Like the old saying goes.....

Small | Large

Its only a f**king movie.

Dam.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 11:20:36 AM »

After hearing about the psycho Batman movie murder-this s**t aint funny no more.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 02:42:30 PM »

People need to get a grip and accept that there will always be folks who don't like what others do. Geez! Like RC said,it's just a movie! I am one of those few who doesn't like what they have done with Batman but hey! Lots of others do so live and let live. Death threats over a film? Honestly!  Lookingup

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 06:05:48 PM »

98% of posts are nothing more than people talking from their ass. anybody whos read one of my posts knows this. people take posts too seriously. who cares? really, who gives a crap if that guy didnt like batman? thats one thing that has always bothered me: concerning oneself with the likes and dislikes of others. people are quick to attack now especially in threads. youtube is an example, just read any post, there almost all retarded and negative.  thats the reason badmovies is the only place i post now, everybody has strong opinions here but nobody attacks anyboby else. even in religous threads, there are people here from both ends of the spectrum. thats why i like you people. you are all nice and fragrant. 

exterminate all rational thought.....
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Rotten Tomatoes Shuts down Dark Knight Rises comments after death threats « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.