Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:10:17 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  14 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' showing in Colorado « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 14 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' showing in Colorado  (Read 19508 times)
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 04:50:03 PM »

I heard a rumor that a pair of armed patrons apprehended & held the suspect until the police arrived.
Also, that there was already a police presence at the cinema in anticipation of rioters.

But only rumors, so far.
I also heard that ABC News is trying to blame this on the TEA Party.

Anyone know whether or not any of this is true?

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 05:56:52 PM »

Apparently the guy was in school, attempting a Ph.D. Told cops he was 'The Joker.'

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 07:00:34 AM »

He graduated from the same school district as me, Poway school district near San Diego.  Not the same school, but in the same district.  And many years after me.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »

The death penalty was made for people like this.

I agree! If this was a bid for notoriety then I wish he'd have just killed himself.

I thought we just shot mad rabid dogs.
Case in point.
Do we we really need a jury for mainiacs like this?
Some people need to die....common sense.The guys a murdering maniac.
I dont see a waste of space on a trial.
I say-Kill him.

He gave up after being witnessed by so many...tried and convicted.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 12:44:23 PM »

I heard a rumor that a pair of armed patrons apprehended & held the suspect until the police arrived.
Also, that there was already a police presence at the cinema in anticipation of rioters.

From what I've gathered, none of that happened. It was just another night at the movie theater, then the sh*t hit the fan. Local police were at the scene within 90 seconds of the first 911 call about the shootings.

I also heard that ABC News is trying to blame this on the TEA Party.
Anyone know whether or not any of this is true?

That was due to sloppy news reporting. The shooter, James Holmes, has the same name as a prominent member of the Denver area Tea Party organization. In their frenzy to get the story out, an overzealous ABC News reporter assumed that it was the same guy and reported it as such. The Tea Party guy had to unplug his phone because as soon as the erroneous report went out it started ringing off the hook with death threats. ABC corrected their story a short time later.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
major jay

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 03:58:03 PM »

So he was actually trying to emulate the joker character.
It's kinda ironic that they are taking shots at society in the movie.
This town needs an enima.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:05:02 PM by major jay » Logged

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 04:59:39 PM »

Went camping last night, so I haven't kept up with the news on this. Last I heard, the cops had evacuated the guy's neighbourhood because his apartment was booby-trapped six ways from Sunday.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 01:43:08 AM »

God, what a tragedy.  Every time I see the picture of Tom Sullivan bawling his eyes out after searching tirelessly for his son, only to find that he was among the fallen, my heart breaks.   Bluesad

I think that image will forever be burned into my mind.  Being a dad now myself, I can't imagine outliving my son.  I wouldn't want to.

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 05:37:38 AM »

Yeah, I found it really upsetting to read that the youngest person killed was a little girl the same age as my daughter.

The girl's mother was treated for multiple wounds and might be paralyzed. Last I read, she had been asking about her daughter, but didn't know yet. It's sickening to think about that.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 11:09:03 AM »

This event was an absolute tragedy.  It was obviously very well thought out by the shooter from what I've seen.

According to a news report I saw on CBS the other night, Holmes wired his apartment with an incendiary device at the front door.  He cranked up very loud music before leaving that night in the hopes that a noise complaint would be called on him.  When the police would have arrived, the device would have detonated.  This would have pulled all available units to his apartment on the other side of the town, giving him more time for his shooting spree.  That is chilling in it's methodology.  

I'm a proponent of gun education, training and concealed carry.  In NC, where I live, you cannot carry concealed or otherwise into a movie theater.  Any location that requires money for entry is off limits for those that carry a pistol.  I'm not sure if Colorado is like that.  I can't help but think if at least one person in that cinema was carrying, this could have gone differently.  My understanding is that the bastard was only wearing a tactical vest and it was not kevlar or armored.  I can't help but believe that one armed patron could have defused this situation and taken care of what the judicial system will take 30 years to accomplish.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:11:08 AM by Mr_Vindictive » Logged

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »

AP Source: Assault rifle jammed in Colo. attack 

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-assault-rifle-jammed-colo-attack-121634899.html 

AURORA, Colo. (AP) — The semiautomatic assault rifle used by the gunman in a mass shooting at a midnight showing of the latest Batman movie jammed during the attack, a federal law enforcement official told The Associated Press, which forced the shooter to switch to another gun with less fire power.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to in order to discuss the investigation, said the disabled weapon had a high-capacity ammunition magazine. Police have said that a 100-round drum magazine was recovered at the scene and that such a device would be able to fire 50 to 60 rounds a minute.

That account of what happened inside the Century 16 theater emerged with other details of a suspect described as a budding scientist, brimming with potential, who pursued a graduate program even as he planned the attack with "calculation and deliberation," police said Saturday...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 02:10:15 PM »

AP Source: Assault rifle jammed in Colo. attack 

AURORA, Colo. (AP) — The semiautomatic assault rifle used by the gunman in a mass shooting at a midnight showing of the latest Batman movie jammed during the attack, a federal law enforcement official told The Associated Press, which forced the shooter to switch to another gun with less fire power.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to in order to discuss the investigation, said the disabled weapon had a high-capacity ammunition magazine. Police have said that a 100-round drum magazine was recovered at the scene and that such a device would be able to fire 50 to 60 rounds a minute.

That account of what happened inside the Century 16 theater emerged with other details of a suspect described as a budding scientist, brimming with potential, who pursued a graduate program even as he planned the attack with "calculation and deliberation," police said Saturday...

My understanding is that he was using an AR-15 assault rifle with the drum mag as mentioned.  Usually the large drum mags (which actually are two drums connected) hold somewhere in the area of 90 rounds.  The rifle he used was semi-auto from the accounts that I have seen. ARs are prone to jamming, especially when using an aftermarket or extra capacity mag.

The AR though is no more deadly than any other semi auto rifle.  It fires a 5.56 round, which is not much larger than .22 round.  They are somewhat comparable, it just packs more force behind it and is a longer projectile.

A lot of people have asked how he was able to buy these weapons.  So far I've not seen a reason why a gun shop would refuse to sell to him.  He was a neurosurgeon student, had no history of mental illness, had money and I'm sure acted perfectly normal in the store.  I'm just thankful his AR jammed.  Shame it didn't earlier during the event.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 02:44:54 AM »

I sincerely hope that a prison inmate kills this Holmes SOB in jail and saves the US taxpayer a lot of money. Hatred

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 05:42:44 PM »

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07/25/12933951-tragedy-compounded-killers-parents-become-instant-pariahs?chromedomain=usnews&lite

Interesting article on the parents of the accused

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 07:02:30 PM »

I've read that, at least one if not more, of the victims are talking lawsuits.  One guy in particular, is suing:
Holmes and his doctors
The movie theater itself
Warner Bros.

Personally, I'm not at ease with the suit.  I understand it, to a degree.  I feel he should be lucky to be alive considering the circumstance.  But, I've not lived through that, so I can't judge.  However, I disagree with suing Warner Bros. directly.  Can't sue them.  I say, yeah, sue the guy and his doctors.  Also, I could see suing the theater directly: most 'emergency exits', to my knowledge, sound an alarm of some sorts.  If it were propped open, as said, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I sincerely hope that a prison inmate kills this Holmes SOB in jail and saves the US taxpayer a lot of money. Hatred
To my knowledge so far, they are refusing to allow Holmes to be in General Population and he is in solitary confinement.  Notably, due to the media surrounding the case.  Also, I'm assuming, to avoid any likely 'lawsuits' down the line from Holmes's family if he is killed.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  14 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' showing in Colorado « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.