Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:00:22 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Tippi Hedren on Hitchcock: "genius and evil and deviant" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tippi Hedren on Hitchcock: "genius and evil and deviant"  (Read 3995 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: August 02, 2012, 09:54:29 PM »

Tippi Hedren on Hitchcock: "genius and evil and deviant" 

http://news.yahoo.com/tippi-hedren-hitchcock-genius-evil-deviant-011724950.html 
NEW YORK (TheWrap.com) - Tippi Hedren spoke Wednesday about rampant sexual harassment by Alfred Hitchcock nearly half a century ago, during the making of "The Birds" and "Marnie."

"I think he was an extremely sad character," she said during a panel discussion of HBO's upcoming "The Girl," which recounts her troubled relationship with the director. "We are dealing with a brain here that was an unusual genius, and evil, and deviant, almost to the point of dangerous, because of the effect that he could have on people that were totally unsuspecting."

She was one of those people, she said.

Hedren, now a glowing 82, was a model in her early 30s when Hitchcock hired her for "The Birds." Although there were times of "delight and joy" as Hitchcock personally coached her on her acting, there were other times when he treated her horribly.

Those events form the spine of director Julian Jarrold's "The Girl," which will air in October and stars Sienna Miller as Hedren and Toby Jones as the master of suspense. Jarrold and his stars spoke at the Television Critics Association summer press tour...

http://news.yahoo.com/tippi-hedren-hitchcock-genius-evil-deviant-011724950.html

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:57:22 PM »

Sounds interesting.  I wonder if they ever made that biopic about famous German film maker Lenni Reifenstahl?  It was in the works at some point.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 01:43:52 AM »

Sounds interesting.  I wonder if they ever made that biopic about famous German film maker Lenni Reifenstahl?  It was in the works at some point.

I assisted a German filmmaker on a production concerning Riefenstahl a few years ago Indy: I asked to be removed from the project when the filmmaker in question wanted to tie South Africa in with the Holocaust.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 01:52:51 AM »

Tippi Hedren on Hitchcock: "genius and evil and deviant" 

Those events form the spine of director Julian Jarrold's "The Girl," which will air in October and stars Sienna Miller as Hedren and Toby Jones as the master of suspense.

I believe this was filmed in Cape Town if I am not mistaken.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 05:18:07 AM »

Hitchcock was a weirdo. Made good movies-so did Lenni.
Lennis politics-yes-she DID embrass Hitler-she tried to distance herself from Hitler AFTER Germany lost the war-who wouldnt? But she DID embrass nazism during Hitler's time in power-so f**k her.
People like Anne Frank deserve our attention-not Lenni Reifenstal.
Yeah=shes a good film maker-Hitler was a very good orator. Charles Manson was a very convincing guy too. The myth of Satan is attractive.Evil is sexy.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:00:09 AM »

This reminds me of something author Michael Slade wrote about Hitchcock that I found really interesting. It's largely about the way his fetishes and frustrations are reflected in the way he used his leading ladies on film.

Slade was 13 when PSYCHO (1960) slashed across the screen. What a jolt! Psycho thrillers were changed forever. But as dark as the images were in the theater, the goings-on behind the camera were dark as well. Here's the story of the Hitchcock Syndrome.

Alfred Hitchcock was a tubby man who seethed with sexual frustration. He looked nothing like his leading men: Gregory Peck, Cary Grant, James Stewart. His role as director, however, allowed him to deify and fetishize his leading ladies. So he controlled every aspect, including their underwear.

Hitchcock was obsessed with ice queen blondes. Madeleine Carroll in THE 39 STEPS (1935). Ingrid Bergman in SPELLBOUND (1945). Grace Kelly in REAR WINDOW (1954). Doris Day in THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1956). Vera Miles in THE WRONG MAN (1956). Kim Novak in VERTIGO (1958). Eva Marie Saint in NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959).

Though Hitch made them stars, one by one the women spurned him for other men. Bergman left for Italy to live with Rossellini. Kelly left to marry the Prince of Monaco. Vera Miles got pregnant before VERTIGO. Hitch clashed with Kim Novak, her replacement. When Audrey Hepburn - though not a blonde - backed out on the director and NO BAIL FOR THE JUDGE, his frustration exploded. From then on, blondes would not be idolized in Hitchcock films. They'd be torn apart.

The shower scene in PSYCHO is rape with a knife. But at least it's fantasy. What Hitchcock did to Tippi Hedren in THE BIRDS (1963) was worse. The final avian attack saw her trapped in a room full of ravens, gulls, and crows tied to her with elastic bands. For days, the birds were thrown at her, and one almost pecked out her eye. Hedren suffered a breakdown. Rumor was Hitchcock shot the last day with no film in the camera.

Evan Hunter (Ed McBain) scripted THE BIRDS. He fell out with Hitchcock over the rape scene in MARNIE (1964). The strangulation-rape in FRENZY (1972) shows Hitchcock unrestrained.

This was taken from Slade's website, specialx.net, from an article about the various inspirations for his novel, Death's Door. I remember the book discussing this in a little more detail.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Tippi Hedren on Hitchcock: "genius and evil and deviant" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.