Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:44:06 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Love horror movies? Blame it on DNA « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Love horror movies? Blame it on DNA  (Read 3124 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 08, 2012, 06:10:01 PM »

http://sciencenordic.com/your-dna-loves-horror-movies

Apparently being a horror junkie means being highly evolved.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:16:08 PM »

Of course.  Wink

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:44:07 PM »

Either that or severely repressed/psychologically damaged!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 11:50:42 AM »

The next step in Clasen’s research will consist of designing his own experiments.

“I would, for instance, like to see if the brains of people from different cultures react uniformly to the same scene in a horror movie. If they do, that would support my theory.”

lol. perhaps this guy should be starring in a horror movie, not analyzing them...

as with all psychology based analysis, the results seem a little too all-encompassing, and ignore certain factors.

for example, if a desire to watch horror films was due to "training our danger preparedness", then surely we would like all horror films equally?  for me, schlock factor, i.e. lack of realism in horror can be just as appealing as realism (which conversely can often seem boring). this would go against the findings.

maybe you could even argue that the concept of watching horror on a screen rather than in real life gives us the luxury of not having to engage our 'danger receptors', and turns it into escapist, voyeuristic entertainment instead of some kind of subconscious boot-camp where our survival instincts get sharpened.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »

He thinks it’s obvious that our fascination with horror is genetic in some way or other.

The fact that I love horror movies and my parents absolutely hate them doesn't exactly make that seem obvious to me   Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 09:59:26 PM »

As a recipient of a psychology degree I really hate so called "research" like this. Firstly the article shows nothing indicating he has actually preformed any type of controlled experiment. Secondly he makes a point that our DNA is what makes us scared because it reminds of us of our natural predators. If this is true why are we so much more freaked out when we see the exorcist example but not even phased seeing real animals that could kill us (ie everyday discovery channel). The answer lies in the music, the atmosphere and the context, these are what scare us!

On the same lines the article suggests we are afraid of vampires due to our fear of sharp teeth. If this is true then why are people not scared of watching twilight. Is it because the teeth aren't as sharp? No its because the music, atmosphere and context are different for that series therefore creating a non horrific response from the audience.

There's few things that can get a fear reaction out of people more effectively than truly scary/dissonant music, does this suggest our biological ancestors were preyed on by scary tunes?

This is horrible non research and is among the reason I declined to stay in the field. Its largely full of idiots like this researcher trying to make a name for themselves without actually helping a single person with their work.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 12:44:43 PM »

Not sure about horror, but I was shock to learn at a late age that my father thinks the Exorcist is the funniest movie he has ever seen.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Living_Dead_Girl
Bad Movie Lover

Excuse me. You need to go back to grad school.

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 08:23:07 AM »

I always knew I was naturally awesome. Now here is proof.

Then I did not just look into the mirror, I looked through the mirror...
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »

This is horrible non research and is among the reason I declined to stay in the field. Its largely full of idiots like this researcher trying to make a name for themselves without actually helping a single person with their work.

Karma for this.  Welcome to the disillusionment-with-chosen-career club.   Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 11:04:20 AM »

Yeah-it's McDonald's type science...fear is personal-nothing to do with DNA. The guy who stated so is a quack,obviously.
Fear is not inherited,I dont think so-it's taught. It's bred into you. Your not afraid of a dog untill it bites your ass.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 05:07:44 PM »

Yeah-it's McDonald's type science...fear is personal-nothing to do with DNA. The guy who stated so is a quack,obviously.
Fear is not inherited,I dont think so-it's taught. It's bred into you. Your not afraid of a dog untill it bites your ass.

I wonder about that, my daughter has never been around a problem dog, but she is almost paralyzed with fear around them .

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 12:55:01 PM »

I wonder about that, my daughter has never been around a problem dog, but she is almost paralyzed with fear around them .

In my opinion there is in fact a genetic contribution for some fears. Fear of heights, blood, and other things are certainly influenced by our genetics. What I'm saying is the interaction between environmental influences and genetics is too complex to make simple statements like "we watch horror movies due to DNA". The fact is that our DNA expresses itself in drastically different ways and our own thoughts and behavior's has the ability to in turn change our DNA. With this in mind conclusive statements like the one in the article are difficult if not impossible to make until more studies are done on the topic.
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 09:39:14 PM »

Maybe we can isolate this part of our DNA and build a super B-Movie Soldier Watcher.  MMMMMM  A superpower race of watchers!   Buggedout Buggedout BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Love horror movies? Blame it on DNA « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.