Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:53:54 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best DVD pack? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Best DVD pack?  (Read 6387 times)
zeronx
Dedicated Viewer

« on: August 09, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best DVD "value pack" purchase? I was wondering because there are so many and I don't want to get one without anything entertaining.

Thanks!
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »

I would start with some of the Mill Creek value Packs. These following ones have 50 movies each and at about 20$ or less I have not been disappointed by any of them. I ranked them from favorite to least favorite.
Pure Terror
Chilling Classics
Nightmare Worlds
Drive in Classics

Now Mill creek are known primarily for their value, not their quality. So although you are getting exposed to more films you cannot expect great video and audio quality. To me I can deal with b movies being of lower quality and only really am upset when I find that the film has been heavily edited (which occurs occasionally in these sets). Despite these drawbacks I still enjoy my Mill Creek products and would gladly order another 50 set from them as long as they don't repeat movies I already own.

As for Echo bridges collections they are much more spotty in my opinion. Some like the Midnight Horror Collection (volume 1) are solid buys with films such as Prom Night, Demonic Toys, Below and Evil Bong. Other collections in their "Midnight Horror" series are much spottier often filled with extremely low budget films made recently. In fact I would stay away from any value pack that primarily features obscure recent films as they are generally disappointing. Echo bridge generally provides slightly higher quality audio and video but don't expect any miracles.

Other than those I would suggest Blue Underground's recent 3 packs as they maintain the original special features and provide high quality video and audio. Although they offer more mainstream choices I have always been happy with my "4 film favorites" purchases. These are put out by various movie companies and usually feature high quality video and audio despite typically lacking special features.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 05:45:42 PM »

Mill Creek's "Horror Classics" pack contains some legitimately good movies---CARNIVAL OF SOULS, WHITE ZOMBIE, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD---along with some really, really bad ones (including the amazing MANIAC). That would be my choice.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:59:35 PM »

The Mill Creek Sci-Fi Classics Pack is interesting one but really doesn't have a defined Sci-Fi focus given there's many films on it that are most questionable in their inclusion but it does feature some great sword and sandal fantasy flicks if one likes that sort of thing (I do). As to the one I liked best, I'd say the Mystery Classics and Dark Crimes collections are probably my favourites.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:20:38 PM »

The Mill Creek Sci-Fi Classics Pack is interesting one but really doesn't have a defined Sci-Fi focus given there's many films on it that are most questionable in their inclusion but it does feature some great sword and sandal fantasy flicks if one likes that sort of thing (I do). As to the one I liked best, I'd say the Mystery Classics and Dark Crimes collections are probably my favourites.
I have the dark crimes one lying around here, but I never really gave it a proper chance. Any titles from that one especially worth checking out?
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »

D.O.A., Fear in the Night,  The Red House, The Scar, Cause For Alarm, Gaslight, Please Murder Me

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 10:35:02 PM »

D.O.A., Fear in the Night,  The Red House, The Scar, Cause For Alarm, Gaslight, Please Murder Me
Thank you will check out.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 10:09:19 AM »

In addition to the Mill Creek stuff, I highly recommend:

Top-quality picture and sound, but more expensive on a per-movie basis than the Mill Creek packs.  These are the movies you get:

Volume 1:

Tarantula

An experiment to create a growth formula that could end starvation evolves into a nightmare when a contaminated spider grows gargantuan - with an appetite to match!

The Mole People

Deep below the surface of the earth, three scientists stumble upon a tyrannical tribe of albinos who have enslaved a mutant - and dangerous - race of mole people.

The Incredible Shrinking Man

After encountering a mysterious radioactive mist, an ordinary businessman finds his physical size diminishing as his ordinary household becomes a terrifying trap of doom.

The Monolith Monsters

In a desperate race against time and nature, a geologist and a scientist must find a way to stop the effects of killer outer-space rocks that are literally petrifying people with fear!

Monster on the Campus

Terror sweeps a college campus after the discovery of a prehistoric fish that turns animals and humans that come into contact with it into bloodthirsty monsters.

Volume 2:

Dr. Cyclops

A brilliant but deranged physicist learns how to shrink his enemies to one-fifth of their normal size when they begin to challenge his unconventional experimentations.

Cult of the Cobra

Vengeance is sworn against six American G.I.'s after they witness a clandestine ceremony worshiping beautiful women who can change into serpents.

The Land Unknown

When a Navy expedition crash-lands in a crater thousands of meters below sea level, they encounter a hot, tropical landscape of prehistoric terror filled with ferocious dinosaurs.

The Deadly Mantis

A paleontologist teams up with the military to battle a huge praying mantis when it goes on the attack in metropolitan cities after being released from an Arctic iceberg.

The Leech Woman

Determined to recapture her beauty, a woman discovers a compound that will restore youth - but only when it's combined with fluid taken from bodies of the newly dead!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
zeronx
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »

Wow, thanks for all of the replies. This forum is the most helpful and friendliest community I've seen in years. I glad I found you guys  TeddyR
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 02:25:56 PM »

Try Pendulum Pictures' 4 50-movie packs ("Decrepit Crypt of Nightmares," "Tomb of Terrors," "Mortuary of Madness" and "Catacomb of Creepshows"). Most of those have unique (not old, public domain films, but new independently-done crud), and hilariously awful films.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 03:10:42 PM »

Try Pendulum Pictures' 4 50-movie packs ("Decrepit Crypt of Nightmares," "Tomb of Terrors," "Mortuary of Madness" and "Catacomb of Creepshows"). Most of those have unique (not old, public domain films, but new independently-done crud), and hilariously awful films.

I have DECREPIT CRYPT OF NIGHTMARES and TOMB OF TERRORS.  I love some of the "let's get a bunch of our friends together this weekend and make a movie" films that are in these sets.  Truly terrible stuff.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
66Crush
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 01:19:59 AM »

I've bought a whole lot of those in recent years and always seem to find myself liking only one or two movies. The best was Night of Terror collection, which includes Lake Placid 3, Boa vs. Python, Chupacabra Terror and Frankenfish. It's the only set where I liked every movie (Unless you count the Hammer Dracula 4 pack, but that wasn't cheap). But killer animal movies are awesome even if they are awesomely bad. I bought a 12 pack a few years ago called Gore House Greats. A couple of the movies are unplayable and many are boring, but there are some gems like Trip with Teacher, Stanley and Prime Evil. I found a great b-movie on a set with 3 mainstream horror flicks. I'm talking about SSSS which is on a set with Serpent and the Rainbow, Phantasm 2 and Fun House (well, that one might not be an A film but since it's Tobe Hooper, I had at least heard of it).
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 12:33:53 AM »

These sets are either love em or hate em, but its definitely fun to watch.

Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 10:36:20 PM »

Don't kill me for the double post, but I recently bought the Sci-Fi Invasion movie pack and I was wondering if anyone that had it could recommend some of the better movies on it.

Jim H

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 01:39:59 AM »

If you like martial art films, the 50 pack from Mill Creek is really good.  There's probably around 15 genuinely good films, and another 10-15 worth watching in it.  And like 10 or so laughable bad, then another 10 that are really boring.  It has the best ratio of any of the fifty packs I own.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best DVD pack? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.