Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:27:49 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  It's amazing how negative some people can be...... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: It's amazing how negative some people can be......  (Read 7194 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: August 31, 2012, 02:09:17 AM »

South Africa is my country and while it isn't my country of birth, it is my country. To quote Cobus Rossouw in Katrina: "I love my country. No one must want to burn it."

Then, I found this on www.news24.com:

28 August 2012
Private Citizen

Notice of Resignation from the Republic

To all the People of the Republic,

I would like to respectfully serve notice of my intent to resign my citizenship of the Republic of South Africa. After extensive consideration, and much careful deliberation, I have regretfully decided to seek a future in a nation that does not make a blatant mockery of democratic freedom and social equality.

I have come to realise that the people entrusted with the creation and preservation of this country’s egalitarian principals are completely disillusioned, incompetent and stupid. This realisation has led me to conclude that maintaining any further residence in the Republic will simply rob me of my civil rights and obstruct my ability to pursue a sustainable future.

My many years as a loyal civilian of this nation have left me sorely disappointed at the utter desecration of what was once an exquisite vision of hope. I have always clung patriotically to the national dream, patiently waiting, full of optimism for a beautiful future to manifest itself. But almost two decades of fading hope, frustratingly unnecessary setbacks and shockingly little progress has taken its toll.

The once unlimited possibilities of what this country had to offer have been destroyed, replaced by pessimism, anger and, ultimately, fear.

A climate of inequality still dominates the social landscape exposing a dangerous reality: The horrors of the Apartheid System of the second-half of the 20th century still exist. A new structure of discrimination and inequality has arisen in South Africa – 21st century Apartheid - under the guise of the policy of the ‘Redistribution of Wealth’, citizens in South Africa across not one, but all demographic groups are now being prejudiced.

This blight on our society is plainly evidenced by abuse of political power, individual self-enrichment at the expense of basic needs provision and corruption, so rampant that is perpetrated by the majority of public servants and incredibly expected to occur in government sectors.

The degradation of the fundamental values on which this country’s democracy was founded, have almost completely vanished, opening a void that threatens to destroy the very foundations on which our civil rights and freedoms were agonizingly constructed.

The increasing rate at which negative socio-political trends are transpiring and manifesting across the land, ultimately forced me to re-evaluate my personal welfare as a citizen of South Africa. As a result, I have found that it would be in my best personal interest to resign my position as a citizen, since I can no longer serve a broken system.
South Africa has provided me with an experience found nowhere else on the planet. I have learnt a lot as a South African. Being exposed to a multitude of tremendously different cultures, religions, languages and groups has left me; I like to believe, with a dynamic understanding of the Human Race.

The marvellously diverse composition of people and awe-inspiring natural spectacles contained within the country, combine to form a masterpiece of breath-taking beauty that I could never possibly forget. The rich history of our nation, forged through turmoil and culminating in a remarkable achievement of democracy, is a story that must never be forgotten.

The priceless memories made, people encountered and cultural identity forged as a citizen of South Africa will forever define who I essentially am...South African.

Thank you for affording me the opportunity to be part of such a wonderful nation. Having the chance to encounter and experience such a unique and dynamic “world-within-a-country” only comes once in a lifetime, and I believe that time was spent within the realm of the “land at the Southern tip of Africa.”

So until the day that true democracy exists in every province, city and home in South Africa; until every man, woman and child, of every race, religion and sex is truly free; when discrimination, government hopelessness and state stupidity are vanquished, I will seek a new beginning in another land.

Until that day I fear for South Africa and its people; I fear for their chance to live a life free of the shackles of oppression, I fear that I have no hope of returning to the land that I love.

Until that day, I renounce my South African citizenship.
With a broken heart,

A disillusioned child of The Republic of South Africa.

All of the above makes me more than a little  Bluesad

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 06:06:14 AM »

Wow.  Powerful and eloquent, no doubt.
I know some Americans who feel they could write similar letters, but I am not one of them.  For all its flaws, I still believe in our system.

I wonder where this person intends to go?  There are no perfect governments.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 06:27:06 AM »

So until the day that true democracy exists in every province, city and home in South Africa; until every man, woman and child, of every race, religion and sex is truly free; when discrimination, government hopelessness and state stupidity are vanquished, I will seek a new beginning in another land.

Good luck finding any country where that is the case.

The problem I have with this letter is that the writer keeps restating essentially the same thing, but never supports it or even identifies any specific issues. I have no idea what his problem is. This could be a powerful condemnation or the whining of a selfish crackpot for all I know.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 07:32:27 AM »

I wonder where this person intends to go?  There are no perfect governments.

I think this person longs for the "great days" of the brutal apartheid era from 1948 to 1994. I don't.  Bluesad

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 07:33:54 AM »

That's what I thought too.

This could be a powerful condemnation or the whining of a selfish crackpot for all I know.

It might be a bit of both too.

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »

The problem I have with this letter is that the writer keeps restating essentially the same thing, but never supports it or even identifies any specific issues. I have no idea what his problem is. This could be a powerful condemnation or the whining of a selfish crackpot for all I know.
That's the first thing that occured to me. What are the actual situations that caused this? And finding a country that fits extreme ideals would be impossible. As Indy said,America isn't perfect but I am happy living here.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 07:17:07 PM »

I don’t know what the person who wrote that letter was specifically referring to as his gripe, and I don’t know a great deal about South Africa, but I went to New Zealand about five years ago and while there met a noteworthy amount of South Africans who had immigrated there, and also apparently to Australia. I talked for a while to one woman from South Africa who described the massive emigration as "white flight." My first impulse was to think these were a bunch of pro-Apartheid types who were leaving because they didn’t like the changes that had come after the repeal of all the repressive racial laws, but she said where she lived in South Africa "roving gangs" were terrorizing people and trying to shake down middle class locals for protection money, and police, according to her, weren't doing a lot to help anyone. She claimed she hated Apartheid, but she had been robbed more than once and threatened and feared for her safety if she stayed in the country of her birth. Before I went to New Zealand I doubt I'd met five South Africans in my life. After I left New Zealand I'd met easily a dozen, with enough being there for them to have set up what amounts to South African social clubs and schools. Rightly or not what I took away from the experience was that 21st century South Africa is losing affluent white people at a huge rate.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 08:12:57 PM »

(This is freaky: I just got home from a shopping trip and put on a cd I have been wanting for ages - it is by Ladysmith Black Mambazo.  So here I sit, listening to beautiful and inspiring SA music.)

It seems to me some context is in order for this letter to be understood.  Here in Canada there has been a lot of news coverage over the last few days and weeks about the miners' strike in SA.  Today I read a newspaper article that said that the protesting miners were being charged with the murders of some of their number who were shot by the SA police.  It appears that under an old 'apartheid' law members of a group can be charged as accessories if the police are compelled to shoot members of their group.  There are no charges being considered against any of the police.  IF this is accurate, it seems to me that the letter writer in question may be reacting to this and perhaps other recent disturbing events as an indication of conditions.

He (?) says "I have always clung patriotically to the national dream, patiently waiting, full of optimism for a beautiful future to manifest itself. But almost two decades of fading hope, frustratingly unnecessary setbacks and shockingly little progress has taken its toll. " - since Apartheid ended in 1994 I assume this is the 'almost two decades' referred to.  So I would take it that this person certainly is and was not pro-Apartheid, since he had had optimistic dreams for his country since its end and has found himself disappointed.

Perhaps this person is somehow close to the miners who were protesting; in relationship or viewpoint.  As I understand it, they were motivated by dissatisfaction with their rate of pay and general conditions.  Economic inequities can be a huge issue anywhere.  Perhaps this person's expectations of life after Apartheid included improvements to economic conditions for all that have not become reality.  Add to that the way the miners have been dealt with and I am sure it is understandable that he is distressed.  Rightly or wrongly - we cannot know from this distance, so no judgments - his pain and upset is quite evident in his letter.   Bluesad

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 10:39:25 PM »

In my experience, when a person takes such a bold step as to claim to want to denounce their citizenship, they're simply saying so to try and add impact to their statements. I know plenty of people that have done nothing but complain their whole lives about the communities they live in, all the way from their local village all the way to their country as a whole, yet when they decide to put their nose to the grindstone and collect their thoughts, they claim to have been a patriot all along. The person that wrote that is an excellent writer, very poetic so to speak, but that doesn't mean they were all the things they claim to be. The world is a tough place, it's full of people, and people are often flawed, making the end result of their efforts less than perfect, and it only gets worse when their goals don't align with one's own. The old saying about the grass being greener comes to mind.

As humans, we have been on quite the roller-coaster ride for the last few centuries, and we've just simply not adapted to it very well. Through the industrial age and into the information age, we've had such huge changes over the last couple of decades it's not surprising that we all haven't caught on and made headway at the same rate, and it seems like that inequality may be the root of the writer's issues. I don't know, the writer is pretty vague when it comes to specifics. Perhaps the specifics were left out because the writer didn't even understand them themselves, or perhaps to avoid the obvious rebuttal of "what have you tried to d to fix the problem".

I would think a person that had legitimate complaints would have listed at least a few and made points about how exactly things are not heading in the right direction. The writer did not.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 08:34:31 AM »

It is not very useful, is it, to whine (in flowery words) and yet to offer no solution, nor to offer any story of even having tried.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 12:14:38 PM »

If you truly love a nation, don't you STAY, and serve as an example of what makes it great?

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 12:47:05 PM »

If you truly love a nation, don't you STAY, and serve as an example of what makes it great?

No sympathy for refugees, then?  What a person finds 'intolerable' can be quite subjective.  And he did mention that it has been near on two decades since things were to be changing for the better.  I expect that he feels that if it cannot be made 'better' by those who were supposed to be best able to make it so, then there is little hope.

It comes off as an emotional outburst; a cry of desperation.  It is far too easy to take something as being well-reasoned and rational simply because the language it is presented in is eloquent.  He more or less is saying, "I cannot take this anymore!"

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 06:01:18 PM »

No. You dont cow  to a nation or the nation politic?-thats what made Nazi Germany.
Always. f**king ALWAYS!
QUESTION the status quo-MAKE THEM EXPLAIN. WE PAY THEM. I DO NOT WORK FOR A SUPER RICH a***ole>
Oh...but gee
YES I DO.

I dont give a f**k if this world goes to hell....I welcome it.
HUR! Hatred

I couldnt be a politition-
I wont lie-
I wont suck yer dick-
Iwont be a flip flop on issues to get votes-fill your head full of lies-promise you the world I have no power over a dangerous liar in the Nixon mode....f**k then all.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 06:53:30 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 06:16:45 PM »

Never trust a junkie-politics is a power drug.
They ALL LIE.
f**k em all.

Does it need to be spelled out?
OK-the RAMONES will do it for illiterate moron quasi nazi f**ks-

Small | Large

All this poltical lying feels like someone is sticking their finger down my throat- I gag-I wanna puke. URR! AHHH! AHHHH!
Nobody takes me serious-
"Oh thats just crazy ,Ronny"
"Yer nuts"
"Hes an idiot"
" He's DANGEROUS."
 LETS IGNORE THE PROBLEM.
I AM the problem-and billons more like ME.

Watch yer ass-where here-aint gonna get nice.
Thomas Jefferson said that to defend your beliefs with yer own blood.
Yes. These lying p***ys do it with YOUR blood.

s**t,man-I need something to slow mw down.  Bluesad

And yes-I modified this rant and took out the Romney-Obama references-seemed immaterial and small when you think of the whole world trying to kill nazism with their blood-and we b***h about gas prices.Sad. Real f**king SAD.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 06:57:44 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 03:33:29 AM »

Blech. Idealism over realism.

Now, I'm not knocking idealism. There must be an ideal society that people strive for. The impetus to make things better is the engine that actually makes things better.

However, we still live in the muck of reality. When an idealist throws in the towel and gives up on reality he is essentially taking the useless way out. The way out that, surprise, allows him to forever declare himself as the one guy who took the high road. And that moral high-handedness is something nobody should have to listen to.

In this example, the author declares that South Africa has not lived up to the ideals that he hoped they could strive to. Instead of actually digging himself in and fighting for the things he claims to care for, he just wants to take his ball and go home. Pure laziness, and as AndyC said, "Go where?"

You want a better world? Other people will not do it for you. It's your responsibility, don't get mad when other people demand that you step up.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  It's amazing how negative some people can be...... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.