Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:14:20 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Badmovies.org's 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Author Topic: Badmovies.org's 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread  (Read 100517 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 07:41:09 PM »

I'm boycotting all horror movie watching until the much anticipated Scarlet Fry's Junk Food Horror Fest" sequel actually comes out.  It's been long enough already.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
zeronx
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 04:28:20 PM »

I think I am going to pull out my Masters of Horror season 1 blu-rays and watch Friday the 13th: the series.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 09:12:45 PM »

I just watched Horror High. Decent enough movie, nothing special.

If you haven't seen it, it's about a creepy nerdy kid that gets picked on by some students and some of the worst teachers imaginable, so he takes a Mr. Hyde formula he's been working on for chemistry class and ends up killing them all. 

For some reason I don't think this actually had anything to do with Return to Horror High, but then again, there are quite a few things about that movie that still confuse me. 
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 07:00:33 AM »

Monday I can finally start my horror marathon  Thumbup  I've been thinking of making a schedule of what to watch each evening, but my inner nerd is at a standoff with my inner procrastinator.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 08:20:23 PM »

Sorry folks I jumped the gun and have decided to start the marathon early. Now I am working my way through my new lionsgate 8 and 6 movie sets. Today I watched
Return of the Living Dead 3-Directed by the talented Brian Yuzna (Society) this addition to the return series is actually really great. Maybe the best of the series and I love the first film. Basically our protaginist's girlfriend dies in a motorcycle accident and he decides to use his military fathers zombie lab to bring her back. I dont blame him because when she was alive she was HOT! Unfortunately as a zombie she is slightly more problematic. I love this period in horror filmmaking before CGI and when practical effect were at their most effective and creative. This film has great pacing and although quite funny in places it does not cross the line to where you dont care about the characters. A great start to the october marathon, I hope some of the other horror flicks will be this entertaining (I kind of doubt it, but hopefully)
A terrific horror film from one of the genres more interesting directors.
Pilgermann

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 11:03:08 PM »

I'm boycotting all horror movie watching until the much anticipated Scarlet Fry's Junk Food Horror Fest" sequel actually comes out.  It's been long enough already.
BounceGiggle

I got a pre-emptive start.  I kicked things off this evening with the Halloweenies episode of The Adventures of Pete and Pete (one of the best shows of all time!) and followed it up with Ghosthouse (1988).  Stupid film, but a fun way to start.

I feel like this thread should be stickied through October.

Amanda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 11:49:24 PM »

I originally saw Ghosthouse back when I was in 4th grade, and it took me about 18 years to find a copy of it.  I remember it scared me to death when I was a kid, but then on re-watch....well, I'll stick to my original memories of that one.

I got an early start on this tonight, by going to the theater and watching "The Possession".  Saw the new Resident Evil last week.  Meh.  The Possession had a couple of good jumps, but overall not really scary.  The Apparition was really cheesy, though I got a kick out of Tom Felton..

I've been away from this site for so long!  Feels good to be back.  I hope I can get a horror movie in a day this month....

Amanda
66Crush
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 05:33:12 AM »

I got a few out of the way this past week.

Monday- Halloween
Tuesday- Prom Night
Wendsday- Christine
Thursday- Evil of Frankenstein
Friday- The Howling
Saturday- King Kong (1976 Version)
Sunday- Dracula

Today I can make it official. I have no set ideas as to what I will watch. I would like to do a marathon of "The Wolf Man," "Horror of Dracula," and "The Mummy." When I was a kid one of the local theater's showed all three during an all day Halloween fest. It was great to see classics on a theater screen that were released long before I was born.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 06:47:37 AM »

Here is what  I'll be watching this month.  TeddyR

1 The Invisible Man
2 The Mummy (1932)
3 Night of the Living Dead (1968)
4 Frankenstein (1931)
5 Nosferatu
6 Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
7 Seven
8 Dracula
9 The Wolf Man (1941)
10 The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
11 The Black Cat (1934)
12 Misery
13 Halloween
14 Halloween 2
15 Psycho (1960)
16 The Fly (1986)
17 Rosemary’s Baby
18 Saw
19 Saw 2
20 Saw 3
21 Carrie
22 Children of the Corn
23 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920)
24 The Omen
25 The Shining
26 Silence of the Lambs
27 Hannibal
28 Red Dragon
29 Alien
30 White Zombie
31 The Exorcist: Extended Director's Cut (bluray)

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 07:21:20 AM »

Got a pretty good list going myself, and I'm actually surprised I've been able to resist watching them until now. A couple of weeks ago, I spent some time looking up lists of the best horror of the past few years, as well as the best of the lesser-known horror films of the genre in general. Managed to pick out a few gems I haven't seen. Between those movies, some good ones I haven't seen in years, and some old favourites I've seen many times, I've got some good viewing options for the month. I've managed to track most of them down too.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 07:30:24 AM »

I have no specific order to what I will be watching but here are some things I have on dvd/blu ray that need watching:

Waxwork, The Unholy, Bride of Reanimator, Cursed, Ginger Snaps 2, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Pieces, Rats: The Nights of Terror, They, Visiting Hours, Hatchet 2, 967
evil 2, Silent Hill, Friday the 13th part 4 and 5

Don't know where to start with these, Have only seen a couple before.

And just as a random recommendation that people tend to overlook for some reason is Exorcist 3, this is a terrific movie just as scary as the first one in parts. If you haven't seen it I think you could do worse than checking this one out for October!  
ChaosTheory

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 01:03:08 PM »

I just watched Horror High. Decent enough movie, nothing special.

If you haven't seen it, it's about a creepy nerdy kid that gets picked on by some students and some of the worst teachers imaginable, so he takes a Mr. Hyde formula he's been working on for chemistry class and ends up killing them all. 

For some reason I don't think this actually had anything to do with Return to Horror High, but then again, there are quite a few things about that movie that still confuse me. 

That one's on my list; don't really have an order to what I'm watching but it's mostly stuff from my Mill Creek sets that I haven't gotten around to yet.
I kicked it off a little early last night with DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK (original) and RED DRAGON.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
claws
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »

10/01/12 Filmcount: 1

Spawn: Director's Cut (1997)

Far from perfect but still entertaining enough. John Leguizamo definitely steals the show. Enjoyed those "ancient" late 90s CGI effects. 3.5/5
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 04:05:27 PM »

Ok now on to film number two. This one I found on youtube. It is:

The Amityville Horror 2: The Possession- Having only seen the first film I decided to check out this 1982 sequel directed by the Italian director Damiano Damiani (pretty awesome name I have to admit) who according to IMDB is most known for a film called "The Pizza Connection"! So what makes this film different from the endless haunted house movies we have likely seen. Well for starters we have Burt Young (Paulie from Rocky) playing an absolutely insane abusive father. Nearly every scene he is in he is screaming at or physically assaulting his family. Adding to the disturbing quality is a incest subplot between teenage brother and sister. So this movie has quite a bit going on even before demons and ghosts come into the picture.

The social dynamic is effective in creating a real sense of chaos in the house that is of course only intensified as the haunting begins. Although some of the performances aren't the best I felt drawn into the dysfunction of the household, and felt the film was scarier than due to having such disturbing unlikable characters. As for the actual haunting it begins quite early and we see manifestations frequently throughout, some we have seen before like blood pouring out of the sinks and some are new. No secret that the teenage son is eventually possessed by the house resulting in an Exorcist lite third act.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by this film and found it to be preferable to the original. Their is some great Steadicam work at play here which provide some of the most engaging sequences in the film. Special Effects while not groundbreaking are never embarrassing and they come quite constantly. Above all this film pulls no punches and gives us no hero to root for, which makes it much scarier than films that use stereotypically perfect and well meaning family dynamics. Now its not perfect and much of the third act is a step down but is still quite a bit better than I would expect an entry in the Amityville franchise to be.

IMO a lost gem that I did not expect to be as good as it was.
voltron

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 06:05:16 PM »

I have no specific order to what I will be watching but here are some things I have on dvd/blu ray that need watching:

Waxwork, The Unholy, Bride of Reanimator, Cursed, Ginger Snaps 2, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Pieces, Rats: The Nights of Terror, They, Visiting Hours, Hatchet 2, 967
evil 2, Silent Hill, Friday the 13th part 4 and 5

Don't know where to start with these, Have only seen a couple before.

And just as a random recommendation that people tend to overlook for some reason is Exorcist 3, this is a terrific movie just as scary as the first one in parts. If you haven't seen it I think you could do worse than checking this one out for October!  
Exorcist 3 was awesome as was Blatty's Legion book that it was based on. Fulci, I highly reccomend you give Visting Hours a go. It's a very well done and classy Canadian slasher from the golden age.   Cheers

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Badmovies.org's 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.