Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:02:41 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Badmovies.org's 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17
Author Topic: Badmovies.org's 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread  (Read 100540 times)
ChaosTheory
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2012, 12:48:54 PM »

10-14: SAVAGE WEEKEND (1979) 
Small | Large

It was.......long. 3/10
 Fun fact: this movie helped launch a surprising number of careers. William Sanderson, who plays Otis The Slack-Jawed Yokel, has appeared in BLADE RUNNER, THE CLIENT, AVATAR and had recurring roles on DEADWOOD, BATMAN:TAS, NEWHART, and COACH, just to name a few.  He's still getting steady work today.  Chris Allport, who plays polyamorous Nicky, also picks up quite a bit of tv work.  There's a very brief appearance from WITCHBLADE's Yancy Butler, who plays an unnamed rural child.  And of course there's RE-ANIMATOR's David Gale as Mac The Sadistic Yokel.

10-15: THE MANSTER
Small | Large

Dr. Frankenstein in Japan, pretty much.  All the cultural and sexual tact you'd expect from  a 1950's movie.  4/10

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2012, 01:10:29 PM »

Slither (2006) - An organism falls from space outside a small town, takes possession of one of the locals, and the place is soon overrun with zombies and Lovecraftian monstrosities. Horror/comedy that works well, with well-timed laughs, memorable scenes and the odd quotable line, while at the same time delivering some tense and unsettling moments, and some very effective makeup and effects work. Clearly made by horror fans for horror fans, with homages and references to a slew of other movies. Among the requisite group of off-beat small-town characters, the big standout for me was Gregg Henry as mayor Jack MacReady (three guesses who he's named after). The guy gets most of the really funny lines. Really pleasantly surprised with this one.

I really enjoyed "Slither" and the writer/director is the same gent who is directing the "Guardians of the Galaxy" (2014) movie.  Despite the weird superhero mix in that one, what really made me interested in it is James Gunn's involvement.  He's got a twisted and funny sense of humor.  The use of Air Supply at completely inappropriate times was awesome, and I also thought a lot of the dialog was really funny.

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/slither/slither4.wav
Bill and Kylie watch a man being spit on by bulimic zombies.
Bill: "Sweetie, don't look. Don't look."
Kylie: "What are we going to do now?"
Bill: "Probably turn into a couple of these f**ked up things."
Kylie: "That's kind of negative."
Bill: "It's been that sort of day."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2012, 02:50:04 PM »

Monster(?) Flick #3

Faust: Love of the Damned, October 16th, or Brian Yuzna is Lord.

This whole month I've made it a rule to only watch movies that I've never seen before. So far this has not damaged me but with Faust I was going into a film I had also never heard of. As it turned out I had nothing to worry about because this movie was a lot of fun.

We follow the tragic tale of one James Jaspers, a man whose life loses all meaning after his girlfriend is murdered in front of him by some thugs who figured that she'd gone long enough without paying them for smuggling her into the country. On his way to ending it all with a plunge into the river, James' life gets even more rosey when a beautiful woman and a sinister not-sinister-looking-whatsoever man who calls himself "M" pull up in a limo and offer him great power and vengence if he'll turn over his soul. Loans never seem like a good idea until you've hit rock bottom, too.

James receives a pair of gauntlets that each sprout two long and nifty blades whenever somebody full of blood happens to be nearby and he quickly goes about hunting down the thugs from before. It's a gory circus from this point on and just tons of fun to watch. Also, when M and his posse try to off James after he refuses to continue killing for them after he's had his revenge, we end up with this:

Orbit, No Matter What!

Take Ash, give him even less regard for humanity, the vocal cords of Christian Bale's Batman, then turn the result into a hell-born batman-wolverine creature that destroys the very fabric of the human mind with how unlikely such a DC/Marvel crossover would be and you have Faust. It's almost surprising that his head isn't on fire, too. The first time I saw this guy I was hooting and knocking over the chips because there is nothing in my experience that compares to the awesomeness that is Faust. This film won an award for its effects work and rightfully so. It's got great makeup work and a devil-rises-to-earth climactic creature that's miles away from your standard "Look at me, I'm teh Devil" red guy with horns.

It's also got this thing that I can only think to dub the "bust-booty monster." It's a big "wtf" moment that comes from nowhere and since I'm not sure how racy it is, I'll just post a link rather than the actual image. Note that she eventually gets much blobbier than that. Faust: Love of the Twinkies

On a closing note, the soundtrack is also loaded with metal whenever James/Faust has a fit and goes on a toady killing spree. I happen to enjoy (good) metal and find that it's a natural fit with Ash-Bat-Wover-Satan. It might just be me seeing what I want to see but I swear that sometimes a particular riff or twang would syncronize with Faust's blade work, which only made the effect even cooler.

Rating:
Tootsie Roll
The first thing I'm going for in the bag until every last one is gone. I try my best not to go on and on here in the forum but with Faust it was a challenge because I just haven't enjoyed a cheesey horror movie as much as this one in a long time. The makeup is cool, the villain is awesome, gloves with claws are awesome and I WANT a pair. It's plain, guilty fun and I am as charged and will sit in prison forever because this movie won me over. TeddyR

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
voltron

« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2012, 03:38:17 PM »

Last night I watched Short Night Of Glass Dolls. A kinda run of the mill giallo. I found it a bit boring to be honest. Looked nice and had a great Morricone soundtrack, though.
Small | Large

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #124 on: October 16, 2012, 05:46:17 PM »

Small | Large

Film Number 15 House of Witchcraft (1989)
This later film by Umberto Lenzi (Nightmare City, Cannibal Ferox) is a pretty lackbuster entry in Italian Horror. Early on we learn that the marriage between our protagonist and his wife is on the out's. The wife decides a vacation may be a good idea to fix their marriage. Too bad the family home they go to is the one he's been having nightmares about...
So what awaits us at this house?

A blind man-Because for some reason every single italian horror movie is required to have at least one blind character. I think its a union thing.
A Black Cat-Just because.
A Witch-This is the house of witchcraft don't you forget.

So any fan of italian horror will see nothing here they haven't seen done better before in other movies. I think the TV budget really limited this film as the effects are generally shoddy, and worst of all it is visually uninteresting. There is nothing really scary about the house and the shots are uninspired throughout. I cant say I liked this at all, I will still check out other Lenzi film's as I hear this is one of his worst.
voltron

« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2012, 06:14:51 PM »

Fulci - you should check out Ghosthouse. Quite bad. But good.  Smile
Tonight I think I'm gonna try to tackle Blood Cult (1985).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:16:55 PM by voltron » Logged

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2012, 06:53:51 PM »

Fulci - you should check out Ghosthouse. Quite bad. But good.  Smile
Tonight I think I'm gonna try to tackle Blood Cult (1985).
It cant be much worse than House of Witchcraft, so I'll probably fit it in before the end of the month. Have fun with Blood Cult don't think I've ever been able to make my way through that debacle.

Jim H

« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2012, 10:05:38 PM »

then turn the result into a hell-born batman-wolverine creature that destroys the very fabric of the human mind with how unlikely such a DC/Marvel crossover would be and you have Faust.

Dark Claw.  From the Amalgam comics. 

Yeah....

Also, watched Ginger Snaps again!  Good stuff.  8/10.
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2012, 11:45:07 PM »

Movie 30: Andre the Butcher (2005)

Small | Large

Movie 31: Freddy vs. Jason (2003)

Small | Large

Movie 32: Student Bodies (1981)

Small | Large

Movie 33: The Descent

Small | Large
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:46:28 AM by JoeTheDestroyer » Logged

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2012, 12:28:33 AM »

Student Bodies!   Joe!  lol.  :)

"Malvert afford hookers!"
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2012, 12:50:49 AM »

Student Bodies!   Joe!  lol.  :)

"Malvert afford hookers!"

"All these stairs... I hope I don't die first!"

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2012, 06:29:46 AM »

Humongous (1982) - some kids are out boating but end up shipwrecked, er...boatwrecked on a remote island.  Turns out there's a mysterious resident living on the island, and he's Humongous!  Yeah, don't wanna mess with that dude.  This was a really good ol' classic slasher.  Characters were sympathetic, it had nice atmosphere and the whole last act was quite suspenseful.  Definitely not the fastest moving plot, but I still enjoyed it a lot.  4.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2012, 06:39:14 AM »

The Cabin in the Woods

A horror movie that explains why the plot of almost every horror movie is nearly identical:  the promiscuous girl, the jock, the nerd, the drinker/toker, and the virgin get together.  They go somewhere on a trip, mess with something they shouldn't, and they die.  Why?  Well, there's a bit more to than than just ancient curses and dark gods.

Enjoyable, and if not clever as it could have been, still an interesting twist on the standard horror movie formula.  The end, when the script literally lets everything loose, is a lot of fun.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
claws
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2012, 07:04:55 AM »

Ooops, got some catching up to post:

14 ~ The Prowler (1981) 4/5 BD
14 ~ Halloween II (1981) 4/5 BD
14 ~ Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998) 4/5 BD
15 ~ Rest Stop: Don't Look Back (2008) 3/5 BD
16 ~ The Devil Inside (2012) 3/5 BD
17 ~ The Loved Ones (2009) 4.5/5 BD
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2012, 09:44:48 AM »

then turn the result into a hell-born batman-wolverine creature that destroys the very fabric of the human mind with how unlikely such a DC/Marvel crossover would be and you have Faust.

Dark Claw.  From the Amalgam comics. 

Yeah....

/life

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Badmovies.org's 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.