Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:19:06 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Badmovies.org's 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17
Author Topic: Badmovies.org's 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread  (Read 100567 times)
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »

Movie 51: Wrong Turn (2003)

Small | Large

Movie 52: The Shining (1980)

Small | Large

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
claws
« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »

18 (23) ~ Messiah of Evil (1973) 5/5
19 (24) ~ Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971) 5/5
20 (25) ~ Altered States (1980) 4.5/5 BD
20 (26) ~ The Fly (1986) 5/5 BD
21 (27) ~ Stake Land (2010) 4/5 BD
21 (28) ~ The Loved Ones (2009) 5/5 BD
21 (29) ~ Attack the Block (2011) 4/5 BD
21 (30) ~ Ghost (1990) 5/5 BD
22 (31) ~ Detention (2011) (no rating) BD wtf?
23 (32) ~ 30 Days to Die (2009) 1/5 BD
24 (33) ~ The Phantom of the Opera (1989) 3.75/5 BD
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2012, 04:57:31 PM »

Film 21
Count Dracula(1970)
Having been intrigued by my viewing of Jess Franco's Bloody Moon I decided to check out his interpetation of dracula which I had heard good things about in the past. It is clear than Franco respected the original novel and sought to create a faithful adaptation. Despite Franco's reputation there is no nudity or excessive violence here, and the tone is strictly serious. This works excellently at the beginning as we are first introduced to Dracula (Christopher Lee) at his castle, everything up to Jonathan Harker jumping out the window and waking up in an asylum is creepy and engaging.

Unfortunately they spend a bit too much time in England and the pace drops to a halt. Klaus Kinski plays Renfield and certainly does appear insane enough but his complete lack of spoken lines limits my interest in his character. It is in this lengthy middle that some violence and nudity would be welcome, but alas this is not the focus here. Things start to pick up again as we enter the final act, and things are wrapped up well enough.

Franco clearly was dealing with a very low budget here, because of this locations and effects are not quite as good as they could be. This film strength lies instead in solid performances and some great use of music. I really am not a big Dracula fan but this was enjoyable enough. This is on youtube as is my other Franco pick Bloody Moon. Don't know if I will continue with my Franco viewing but am glad I at least checked out these films.
Small | Large

JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2012, 03:19:26 AM »

Movie 53: Dr. Giggles

Small | Large

"The doctor is in.....SANE!"

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2012, 06:30:52 AM »

Trick 'R Treat: The Lore and Legends of Halloween (2009) - several intersecting vignettes about "the lore and legends of Halloween".  All with nasty, twisted endings  Thumbup  You've got some girls going to a Halloween party who turn out to be something entirely different, a school principle who befriends (or does he?) a rotten kid from the school, an old recluse who loves to scare trick 'r treaters, and some kids who go to check out the legend of a school bus that took all its occupants to their death at the bottom of a lake.  Pretty decent overall, the stories were somewhat interesting and I loved the endings.  Still have no idea what actually happened at the end of the movie, but oh well.  4/5.

Die, Monster, Die! (1965) - an American goes to visit his girlfriend in England, but the villagers seem terrified of the family estate.  So after being refused transportation, he ends up walking out to her place, and then her father (Boris Karloff) gives him an icy reception as well.  He finally finds his girlfriend and they get started unraveling the mystery of the estate - something has caused all the vegetation in the area to die, and odd screams are heard in the night.  Also the girl's mother is terribly sick and the maid has disappeared.  This made me suspect some demonic power was at work, but actually it's far more sci-fi oriented.  Very cool ending too!  Suzan Farmer, who played the girlfriend, was quite hot as well   Smile  4/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2012, 06:54:18 AM »

Visiting Hours - Another one I've known about for years but just got around to watching. Good movie, but not what I expected. More of a thriller than a slasher horror, or at least something in between. As I was watching it, I couldn't help thinking you could easily drop Dirty Harry into this movie. The killer is very much the sort you'd find matching wits with a rogue cop in an action thriller. He's clever, he has extreme views, suffered childhood trauma, relentlessly hunts a high-profile target who represents something to him, uses disguises, diversions and other tactics. Liked this movie a lot.

The Descent - Hadn't paid much attention to this one until I started hearing how much other people liked it. Scary, disturbing, suspenseful. Some of the most effective bits were before the creatures even appeared. That one really claustrophobic scene of a character getting stuck had me squirming and cringing and shuddering the whole time.
Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2012, 07:51:27 AM »

Dr. Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks (1974)
Suddenly Frankenstein is a count, and he now employs a wide variety of people with various physical and mental handicaps.  He also creates his monster using the body of a slain Neanderthal which was killed by the villagers.  The caveman angle explains the monster's inhuman strength.  There are a few scenes with female nudity to titillate the audience, and all of it is gratuitous - especially the unearthed girl who is fondled by the freaky dwarf.  The dwarf is the film's most obnoxious character, always causing trouble and eventually dismissed from Frankenstein's service.  After that he meets another Neanderthal and kicks his perversion into high gear, teaching the primitive brute to kidnap, rape, and kill women from the village.

Ronald will appreciate that the second Neanderthal is played by none other than Boris Lugosi (yes, they went there).

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
ChaosTheory

« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2012, 02:08:42 PM »

THE RAVEN (2012)- a serial killer is terrorizing Baltimore, using the works of Edgar Allen Poe (John Cusack) as inspiration.  That's a pretty good premise, really, but the movie never quite manages to work with it.  Silly without ever being fun, and surprisingly gory in parts.  Cusack seems to be trying a Nic Cage impression throughout, they should've just hired Cage instead.  4/10

IT'S ALIVE! - not the killer baby movie, this one revolves around a redneck who has discovered some kind of dinosaur in a cave and feeds tourists to it.  His latest batch of would-be victims include a paleontologist (of course), a jerk ad exec and his bullied trophy wife.   The rubber dino suit is hilariously bad and there's some Coleman Francis-style voiceovers (it appears they lost a couple sound reels somewhere along the production line).  Fairly riffable. 4/10

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2012, 02:47:36 PM »

IT'S ALIVE! - not the killer baby movie, this one revolves around a redneck who has discovered some kind of dinosaur in a cave and feeds tourists to it.  His latest batch of would-be victims include a paleontologist (of course), a jerk ad exec and his bullied trophy wife.   The rubber dino suit is hilariously bad and there's some Coleman Francis-style voiceovers (it appears they lost a couple sound reels somewhere along the production line).  Fairly riffable. 4/10

The movie that introduced me to Larry Buchanan. Love that one.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ChaosTheory

« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2012, 03:02:46 PM »

The movie that introduced me to Larry Buchanan. Love that one.

It certainly didn't bore me  Smile   Smile  Cinematic Titanic should take a crack at it.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »

Update on what horror films I've watched this month. I'm going to try and make it to 31 this month, it'll be tricky but I can do itby  playing catch up over the weekend.

* = first time watching

October 1 The Invisible Man (1933) 5/5 *
October 3 The Mummy (1932) 4.75/5 *
October 4 Night of the Living Dead (1968) 10/5 *
October 5 Frankenstein (1931) 5/5 *
October 6 Nosferatu (1922) 5/5 *
October 7 Seven (1995) 7/5
October 10 White Zombie (1932) 10/5
October 12 The Wolfman (1941) 5/5 *
October 14 Invasion of the Body Snachers (1956) 4.5/5 *
October 14 Alien (1979) 5/5
October 14 Children of the Corn (1984) 0/5
October 15 Psycho (1960) 35/5
October 17 Rosemary’s Baby (1968) 50/5
October 17 Halloween (1978) 10/5 *
October 18 The Black Cat (1934) 4.75/5 *
October 18 Halloween II (bluray) (1981) 4/5 *
October 19 The Omen (1976) collectors edition 10/5
October 20 The Shining (1980) 20/5
October 21 Saw (2004) 5/5
October 23 Saw 2 (2005) 5/5
Ocotber 23 The Fly (1986) 15/5 *
October 25 The Exorcist (1973) bluray extended director's cut 15/5

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2012, 11:15:32 PM »

Movie 54: The Thing (1982)

Small | Large

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
66Crush
« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2012, 12:43:36 AM »

I also watched Wrong Turn this week. The first movie is criminally under rated. I think those redneck monsters are awesome.
I think it's the perfect combination of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hills Have Eyes and Night of the Living Dead.
So I also had to watch the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre again the next night.

Last night I watched Jack Frost, which is more of a Christmas horror film, but I couldn't pass up the urge to see Shannon Elizabeth get banged by a snowman. I wish I could post that clip but it would probably be taken down. If you've never seen this movie,
all I can say is OMG!

Let me also say that I love Dr. Giggles. I love all things Holly Marie Combs. I just might have to watch it again before Halloween night.

Back to Wrong Turn, there are a lot of cool posters for part one. It goes without saying that they were banking on Eliza Dushku's fan base to promote the movie.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:47:00 AM by 66Crush » Logged
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2012, 02:09:33 AM »

Movie 55: American Werewolf in London (1981)

Small | Large

Movie 56: Suspiria (1977)

Small | Large

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #194 on: October 26, 2012, 06:51:03 AM »

The Vampire Lovers (1970) - a hot and sexy vampire (Ingrid Pitt) insinuates herself into a couple of upper crust families and, shall we say "befriends" the young ladies of the families.  Real close friends  Smile  She gives 'em a little nibble too.  Eventually she's found out, but will the good guys arrive in time to stop her from gorging on the blood of the innocent and returning to her grave for a nice long slumber?  Quite a good movie;  what it lacked in plot it made up for in bosoms  Thumbup 4/5.

Countess Dracula (1971) - another Ingrid Pitt movie, this time she plays an old countess who's discovered that by bathing in the blood of young virgins she can regain her youth.  Bad news for the local young virgin population I'll tell ya.  Did you know you used to be able to buy a girl off the streets for 25 kroners?  Fifty kroners for a big voluptuous one.  Man, those were the days.  Anyhow, great story full of immoral scoundrels, namely her old boyfriend who isn't too happy about her new, young boyfriend.  Excellent performances by everyone involved.  4.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Badmovies.org's 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.