Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:02:18 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Sinister « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sinister  (Read 4145 times)
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 03, 2012, 02:04:23 PM »

Quote from: BakuryuuTyranno;3024841
Generally speaking, Hollywood horror over the last few years isn't been considered very good amongst horror fans. I'd say that calling it the "Syfy" of horror would be an insult to the "Syfy Channel originals".

Thus whenever one is shown at a horror festival, meaning horror fans thought it should be watched by other horror fans, that makes me as skeptical as someone who'd just heard of a Syfy-commissioned film being Oscar-nominated; however with this one it succeeds at doing what its supposed to do.

1 - I was actually disturbed. The horror genre gets its named from a negative emotional reaction, but generally Hollywood horror fails in making the audience feel anything. The crew behind "Sinister" actually knew what the point of a horror movie is.

2 - The entity is utterly sadistic. Infusing a character without any lines with any personality whatsoever is probably the highlight of Hollywood scriptwriting this year.

3 - Although Hollywood (not just the horror films they make) frequently don't give the lead characters (usually the biggest "names" in the cast, incidentally) much personalty, here Ethan Hawke is playing an actual character.

"Sinister"'s general public wide release is on October 5th, apparently.

Due to my habit of tearing into Hollywood horror I figured I'd better admit when they produce one that's actually good.
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:16:42 AM »

I find myself drawn to this movie, even though the trailer makes me think I'll crap my pants watching it.  The premise is fascinating and the execution (no pun intended) looks very well done.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »

Sounds good. I'll have to check that one out when I have the chance.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Amanda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 12:30:03 AM »

Just saw a preview for this one tonight, and I am genuinely excited.  That's saying something, because I've been disappointed with each horror flick I've gone to the theater for this year.  It looked creepy.

Amanda
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 10:32:57 AM »

I'm not often interested in seeing horror films, however, this one caught my attention.  Not because of the premise or anything, but because of the screenwriter named C. Robert Cargill.  Know who he is?  If you are familiar with Spill.com, he was the former reviewer known as Carlyle, who I am a big fan of.  I want to see what one of my favorite reviewers did for his first movie and what even a film critic would do with writing a film.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:01:53 PM »

I'm not often interested in seeing horror films, however, this one caught my attention.  Not because of the premise or anything, but because of the screenwriter named C. Robert Cargill.  Know who he is?  If you are familiar with Spill.com, he was the former reviewer known as Carlyle, who I am a big fan of.  I want to see what one of my favorite reviewers did for his first movie and what even a film critic would do with writing a film.

Yeah, I find his reviews to generally be quite entertaining as well.  I read him on Ain't It Cool news as Massawyrm.  That was a major reason I was a little interested as well.  I'll probably check it out at a matinee.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 05:56:03 PM »

And so I just got back from Sinister over an  hour ago and here's what I think:

I think it's a very good film.  I believe it does atmospheric horror pretty well and I think it actually handled the jump scares it did have rather well (huge step up from Lady in Black I saw earlier this year).  I'm not going to say much else, but I think you guys should check it out.  Warning, the ending is... predictable so that was a bit of a bummer.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Jim H

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »

Yeah, agree on the ending.  I also think it got a bit...  Obvious in the last third with certain supernatural characters.  Still, there's some real creepiness to the film, and some intelligent writing.  And Ethan Hawke is an actual character, rare for horror movies these days.  Definitely worth a watch.

8/10.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Sinister « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.