Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:26:50 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  POLITICAL CORRECTNESS AND MULTICULTURALISM « previous next »
Poll
Question:      What effect DO they have on American society?
They help bind us together as a nation - 0 (0%)
They divide us - 6 (42.9%)
They are a sign of growth as a nation - 0 (0%)
Multiculturalism is self-segregation, and political correctness is double-speak - 4 (28.6%)
They don't really do anything - 2 (14.3%)
Other (explain.) - 2 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: POLITICAL CORRECTNESS AND MULTICULTURALISM  (Read 26484 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 09:55:49 AM »

Ho hum here we are  at the Badmovies.org  daily societal/ political discussion .

I'm really disappointed in some of  you guys 

Why don't one or you email sometime when there is an interesting movie to discuss.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 10:10:30 AM »

Ho hum here we are  at the Badmovies.org  daily societal/ political discussion .

Why don't one or you email sometime when there is an interesting movie to discuss.

Trek,

I do not like the political threads either.  Truth be told, I've come to hate them.  However, the best response if you are not interested in them is probably to ignore them.  Unfortunately, I cannot do so because it is almost mandatory that the mods have to keep an eye on them.

I'll be happy when the election is over and people go back to normal.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 11:07:14 AM »

"A society which eulogizes the average
citizen is one which breeds mediocrity..."

This.  The next step is reprehensible: exalting mediocrity and perpetrating the falsehood that it is equivalent to excellence, whilst castigating true excellence as being elitist...

And the next step is country music. TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 02:05:54 PM »

Where in that mix is the drive to excel? To succeed? To invent?

Don't get me wrong.  Love and understanding are all well and good.  But if, as John Lennon sang, there is "nothing to fight or die for" there is also nothing worth living for.

Conflict has been a part of human existence from the dawn of time. The best we can to is strive to always be on the side of right.
And die like Christ? 

We die, to rise again, as He did.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 02:13:31 PM »

Trek,

I do not like the political threads either.  Truth be told, I've come to hate them.  However, the best response if you are not interested in them is probably to ignore them.  Unfortunately, I cannot do so because it is almost mandatory that the mods have to keep an eye on them.

I'll be happy when the election is over and people go back to normal.

ANDREW (and everyone else)

As the one who started this thread, I simply wanted the opinions of those who wanted to give them,not to start an argument, or to provide fodder for snarky remarks; I'm sure just about everyone hates that sorta thing, because it precludes true discussion.

Generally, I've seen mainly civil discussion, even civil disagreement on this board, and I applaud the collective maturity of the members and guests.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 07:03:06 PM »

Great replies RC, Andy and Newt. i can't say honestly I understand where Indy is coming from but he's entitled to his take too. I don't think anyone ever said multiculturalism would be easy. Look at the divisions between the English and the French in Canada to this day. Still the basic idea that each culture should be allowed to exist within one Canada is a good one. Honestly I consider the Newfoundland culture to be distinctive itself. The multicultural world will happen whether one likes it or not I suspect or it'll be some weird mix of everything. Who knows? Still I like that in Canada different cultures are allowed to continue existing.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 08:45:02 PM »

Why don't people tell China to be more multi cultural? Why is it always the US and Europe? Theres nothing wrong with an area being monolithicly caucasian.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 04:59:33 AM »

I dont wanna be the Red Skull-Idont wanna be Captain America-I wanna be the Sub Mariner if I grow up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 08:17:44 AM »

you mean Prince namoor  Hatred
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 12:20:43 PM »

Where in that mix is the drive to excel? To succeed? To invent?

Unless I misread Trudeau's quote, he addressed that right in the middle. By placing too much importance on fitting in, you discourage excellence.

But I also find multiculturalism to be more than a little divisive. Even the most tolerant people can tend to shy away from those who are different, and if they also dress differently and speak a different language in public, it does kind of put up a wall. I know people, who I wouldn't call bigots, who would take that as a sign of disrespect, or at least a desire to have nothing to do with the rest of us. Might not be accurate, might not be rational, but it is human nature.

And there is really nothing that says you have to choose between one culture and another. I see that with many of the nationalities that historically made up the Canadian population. To use my own ancestry as an example, there are plenty of Scottish Canadians (many of whom have never even been to Scotland) who have tartans, family crests and assorted Scottish bric-a-brac decorating their homes and offices, read about Scottish history, enjoy (or even play) bagpipes, attend Scottish festivals and highland games, eat haggis, drink Scotch and quote Robert Burns, and might even wear a kilt on special occasions. But, they aren't doing that in the course of their daily business.

On the one hand, I think diversity enriches a culture, but I also see the need for a common culture.

I believe that "culture" can be individual, sorta like a big theatrical trunk you open, and wear what you want to, regardless of genetics.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 01:30:49 PM »

While I agree with the idea that you define yourself by your own preferences, I don't agree with it as a definition of culture. Culture, to me, deals with a population, or at least a group with some common connection. A personal culture seems a little bit like a one-man fad.

My point was more that I know people who cherish and enjoy their heritage, but don't necessarily live it full-time. They are, first and foremost, residents of the place where they live right now. It's not really an either-or situation. You can be true to where you come from AND fit in where you are. We all have different layers of identity - our self, family, profession, nationality and on down the list.

I'm not a huge fan of fitting in for its own sake, but I do acknowledge that some amount of it is necessary to form a cohesive community. At the very least, you need to share a common tolerance of differences. Seeing multiculturalism in action, what always strikes me is that one group will go out of their way to accommodate another, who will feel little obligation to reciprocate, which in turn leads to resentment. I think there is an irony in multiculturalism, in that it's built on the assumption that all these different cultures share the same ideals of equality and tolerance and wondrous diversity. Kind of naive, really.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 01:33:23 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »

You are a wise man.

I want to be the Batman. TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 02:43:18 PM »

You are a wise man.

I want to be the Batman. TeddyR

I thought you were....Question

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 03:05:18 PM »

I personally do not like political correctness. I'm not going around trying to offend folks so I don't need someone telling me I have to say things in a way they approve of. Multiculturalism is a way of life here in America....one of the major building blocks of our society. As long as you are a decent person,here honestly or here to try and become a citizen. If you are simply here to get what you can and spit on us then please leave....this is a wonderful country and we all need to pull together as a nation....we shouldn't have to provide for the ungrateful.
I realize that may sound harsh but I just want us all to be as one nation,not a bunch of warring cultures fighting over America.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2012, 03:07:20 PM »

I personally do not like political correctness. I'm not going around trying to offend folks so I don't need someone telling me I have to say things in a way they approve of. Multiculturalism is a way of life here in America....one of the major building blocks of our society. As long as you are a decent person,here honestly or here to try and become a citizen. If you are simply here to get what you can and spit on us then please leave....this is a wonderful country and we all need to pull together as a nation....we shouldn't have to provide for the ungrateful.
I realize that may sound harsh but I just want us all to be as one nation,not a bunch of warring cultures fighting over America.

Exactly.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  POLITICAL CORRECTNESS AND MULTICULTURALISM « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.