Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:57:21 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  WHAT TASTES DO YOU SHARE WITH YOUR PARENTS? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WHAT TASTES DO YOU SHARE WITH YOUR PARENTS?  (Read 6053 times)
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« on: September 14, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »

The thread about parent's objections to media made me think of this....I love pretty much most kinds of music, and I definitely got that from my mother, who always had the radio or record player on when she did her housework, and generally sang along, whether it be Johnny Mathis, Johnny Cash, or John Lennon.

She read a lot, and was no doubt thrilled when I taught myself how to read at the age of two. We shared a love of mystery and detective novels, although she didn't get into horror or SF as I did.

Of course,she grew up with radio dramas and comedies, and got us interested in them when stations started re-playing them in the sixties. We watched a lot of old movies on tv together, and she is certainly the reason I love film as I do; oddly, she never understood my love of cine-cheese.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 02:28:19 PM »

The thread about parent's objections to media made me think of this....I love pretty much most kinds of music, and I definitely got that from my mother, who always had the radio or record player on when she did her housework, and generally sang along, whether it be Johnny Mathis, Johnny Cash, or John Lennon.

She read a lot, and was no doubt thrilled when I taught myself how to read at the age of two. We shared a love of mystery and detective novels, although she didn't get into horror or SF as I did.

Of course,she grew up with radio dramas and comedies, and got us interested in them when stations started re-playing them in the sixties. We watched a lot of old movies on tv together, and she is certainly the reason I love film as I do; oddly, she never understood my love of cine-cheese.
My upbringing was similar. I like many kinds of music....from Mozart to the Beatles to Glenn Miller to Buck Owens and Henry Mancini,thanks to my folks.  We were avid readers like our Mom and really into The Three Stooges like our Dad. All in all,we shared quite a number of things together. Smile

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 02:38:25 PM »

I share more tastes with my mother than I do with my father.  For example:

* Music from the 1950s
* Horror and sci-fi movies
* Reading novels

My dad also like 1950s music.  However, he prefers comedy movies and he almost never reads novels.  He spends hours and hours reading the newspaper and watching news programs on TV (he has the damned 24-hour news channels on almost all day, every day).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 06:03:26 PM »

My overall love of reading, especially of a good solid mystery or thriller, comes from my Mom.  My love of history, especially Presidential history, I share with my Dad.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 06:19:13 PM »

When I think about it, every member of the family is the family black sheep.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 08:07:29 PM »

Hmm I cannot really think of many except for a love of classic comedy like The Three Stooges, Ma and Pa Kettle and on TV All in the Family plus one that really surprised me - the Planet of the Apes films. I also very much enjoy music by Jim Reeves who's Dad favourite singer. My father also initially sparked my love of pro wrestling in the 1970s even taking me to some shows back then. He hates it nowadays though.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 09:03:36 PM »

We may not share much as far as taste in music, but I definitely inherited the compulsive record-collecting (or in my case, CD collecting) gene from my parents. They both had huge record collections when I was growing up and music was constantly playing around the house. Depending on the day and who was in charge of the stereo at the time you'd hear anything from John Denver to Dean Martin to Elvis to Creedence Clearwater Revival ... and anything in between.

Nowadays my brother and I both have pretty massive music collections as well.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 12:30:27 PM »

Hmm I cannot really think of many except for a love of classic comedy like The Three Stooges, Ma and Pa Kettle and on TV All in the Family plus one that really surprised me - the Planet of the Apes films. I also very much enjoy music by Jim Reeves who's Dad favourite singer. My father also initially sparked my love of pro wrestling in the 1970s even taking me to some shows back then. He hates it nowadays though.

Interesting...my Dad's sister nearly married Jim Reeves. I don't exactly remember why she didn't.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 04:57:45 PM »

My parents love the same goofy cheesy movies I do.
They gladly go to see movies like Deuce Bigelow, Little Nicky and other like them.  My dad is 63 and my mom is 60.  Weird, eh?
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 08:32:54 AM »

My dad loved action films and comedy films with a lot of swears in them.  Hed also take interest in looney tunes on saturdays.  I used to love watching these forms of media with him.

My mom kind of got me into collecting.  She had doll houses and a big doll collection.  She used to take me to flea markets and tag sales which granted i loathed at the time kind of implanted my "get good things cheap" mentality i have today

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 05:58:27 PM »

My Dad
We both shared an interest in John Wayne, and when a new film of John Wayne came to our area, he take me to the theater where it was playing, and we see it together.

My Mom
Classical music. When I was in high school, the school would take any of the students who were interested ,to watch an opera by the local opera company, and she always made sure that I went. And during one of them was the first time I ever saw a woman totally topless. Thanks Mom!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 06:44:51 PM »

My dad's a drunk.  Drink

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  WHAT TASTES DO YOU SHARE WITH YOUR PARENTS? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.