Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:15:00 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  After 38 Seasons Should SNL stick a Fork in it? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Should SNL continue or just go away?
Yes, the show sucks now! - 10 (58.8%)
No, it's still relevant. - 0 (0%)
It should be revamped. - 2 (11.8%)
I stopped watching after Chevy left. - 4 (23.5%)
It's on way passed my bedtime. - 1 (5.9%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: After 38 Seasons Should SNL stick a Fork in it?  (Read 23901 times)
Swordmaster1982
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 09:56:57 PM »

Last time i watched it was arounf 1993 or so but last best season i think was 1994-95.Should of ended then.
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 02:18:43 AM »

They have the occasional funny sketch these days, but not often enough.  It seems like they get one outstanding cast member, where previous seasons had many, and then the cast member realizes he/she can do better than a washed up sketch comedy show and moves on. 

The only thing SNL seems to have going for it anymore are the digital shorts.  Anything that can manage to be funny while featuring Shia Lebeouf is definitely worthwhile.

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 07:47:20 AM »

Original cast, brilliant.
Second cast, not too bad.
after that...why bother?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
66Crush
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 01:06:12 AM »

I agree that the best cast was the original: Dan Akroyd, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Jane Curtain, Garrett Morris, Loraine Newman and Gilda Radner. And continued to be funny when Bill Murray replaced Chevy Chase. It started to suck when Akroyd and Belushi left, but was redeemed when Eddie Murphy came in a couple of years later. Murphy WAS the reason to watch in the early 80's, the rest of the new cast were just OK and they had some new ideas which were cool. The late 80's were still pretty good, a bit shaky between 84-86, but came back strong in 86/87 season, which had the second best cast IMO: Dana Carvey, Jon Lovitz, Victoria Jackson, Phil Hartman, Jan Hooks, Dennis Miller, Kevin Nealon and Nora Dunn. Everyone was either brilliant on they're own or was a good team player. It was still OK when they brought in Mike Myers, but started to slip after that. Each new season saw some new stars emerge, but most of them like Will Ferrell or Chris Rock, did they're best work after leaving the show. I've not watched much in the past 10 years and I have hated just about everything I've seen of it lately. I think Jimmy Fallon is one of the un- funniest comedians I've ever seen and this idiot got his own show. It's all about looks anyway now. If Fallon looked like Belushi do you think he would have his own show?
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 06:49:11 PM »

The Lonely Island crew has been on SNL the past couple years.  They gave us gems like these:
Jack Sparrow, with a Michael Bolton cameo
Small | Large

Great Day, with appearance by Tom Petty and Alec Baldwin
Small | Large

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
66Crush
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 01:53:54 AM »

I'm sorry dude, I guess I'm old and just don't get it. But those clips show everything that I think is wrong with the show. Bad hipster comedy. These guys are trying way too hard to be cool instead of funny. They are a bunch of hipsters too scared to be self deprecating. At least when Farrell and Katan did the Roxburry guys, they looked like geeks and that's why it was funny. Also SNL is way too safe now. I know that dropped the F bomb in that video but big deal. They used to be merciless in imitating people like Micheal Bolton, now they have him in a video name dropping Jack Sparrow. The old SNL would be poking fun at what a real douche bag Johnny Depp is.This show has lost everything that made it edgy.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »

Louis CK is hosting on November 3rd, which is probably of interest only to me, but I'm putting it out there anyway.....

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Swordmaster1982
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 09:22:55 PM »

Never even heard of Louis Ck.
Swordmaster1982
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 08:00:06 AM »

Only cast member i know today is Kenan from Kenan and Kel.I guess hes still on it.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 09:02:07 AM »

I'm sorry dude, I guess I'm old and just don't get it. But those clips show everything that I think is wrong with the show. Bad hipster comedy. These guys are trying way too hard to be cool instead of funny. They are a bunch of hipsters too scared to be self deprecating. At least when Farrell and Katan did the Roxburry guys, they looked like geeks and that's why it was funny. Also SNL is way too safe now. I know that dropped the F bomb in that video but big deal. They used to be merciless in imitating people like Micheal Bolton, now they have him in a video name dropping Jack Sparrow. The old SNL would be poking fun at what a real douche bag Johnny Depp is.This show has lost everything that made it edgy.

What strikes me, especially with the first video, is the amount of production going into something so thin on actual humour. Mostly it isn't funny, and the parts that are funny aren't especially clever or creative. But a huge amount of time and effort has obviously gone into it. Classic SNL was really the opposite - everything pretty basic with regard to sets, costumes, etc., with the comedic talent being the main ingredient. It all rested on the performances and the quality of the jokes.

That's really the measure of whether SNL is still any good. How well can the cast make you laugh and keep you laughing with their performances alone? And are they giving you gags that are fresh and inventive, or doing comedy by the numbers? If those two clips are typical of the best on offer, I'd have to say no.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 12:03:56 PM »

Classic SNL was really the opposite - everything pretty basic with regard to sets, costumes, etc., with the comedic talent being the main ingredient. It all rested on the performances and the quality of the jokes.

Right...classic hit hard and fast, and often made you say "what did I just see" while you were laughing at it.

Anyone that thinks modern SNL is anything but a smear of what it once was needs to check out clips of Aykroyd doing Julia Childs or any of a hundred other skits from that era.  To even have the contemporary stuff given the same name is an insult - there is NO comparison.

I think they should have stuck a fork in it 20 years ago ... at least.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 04:45:04 PM »

I worry about that Louie CK episode unless CK is actually writing for himself.

I watch the show but even I admit it isn't what it was.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  After 38 Seasons Should SNL stick a Fork in it? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.