Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:09:14 PM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best Classic B-Movies for Small Kids « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Best Classic B-Movies for Small Kids  (Read 9851 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: September 18, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »

I'm sure we've discussed something like this before, but I think this is a much more specific topic. My daughter has gotten a kick out of movies and shows that have spoofed or paid homage to 50s Cold-War-era b-movies. She loved Planet 51, she's seen some Godzilla and I'm planning to show her The Iron Giant, and she's seen a few old cartoons and sitcoms that reference the same sort of topics.

I'd like to show her some more of the real thing. The difficulty is finding the best examples of movies with flying saucers, stop-motion monsters, scientists and military types, that will be appropriate for her. They have to be fun and easy to understand, but they can't be too scary or too slowly paced. Been looking at a few potential candidates, but generally finding either a bit too much death or a bit too much talking.

Any suggestions?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »

I bought a "Gamera" double-feature DVD at the dollar store a while ago and my kids (ages 9 and 5) loved that. They were rolling on the floor laughing at the ultra-cheap special effects. "It looks so FAKE!"

Last year around the holidays I picked up "Santa Claus Conquers The Martians" at the same dollar store, thinking the kids might get a kick out of that as well... but after watching it myself, I decided not to bother because I really think exposing them to such an epic stinker probably constitutes some form of child abuse.  TeddyR

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 06:33:49 PM »

Robot Monster went over well here.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:47:41 PM »

Ray Harryhausen's EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS seems the most fitting choice for you there Andy. Perhaps a bit too much death though. I think I would have loved ATTACK OF THE MONSTERS (a Gamera film) and INVADERS FROM MARS (1953) as a teenager but they're honestly likely scary for a little one. 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH perhaps but no doubt one feels sad for the Ymir.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 09:58:41 PM »

Ray Harryhausen's EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS seems the most fitting choice for you there Andy. Perhaps a bit too much death though.

That's actually where this question came from. I watched Earth vs. the Flying Saucers the other night, thinking it might fit the bill, but there was quite a lot in the way of people getting shot and blown up and disintegrated. More than that, I think my daughter might be disturbed by the general getting mind-probed and turned into a zombie. That and the movie can get kind of slow and talky when the saucers aren't around. I think she'll probably like it, maybe in another year or so, but it's more than I'd want to start her out with.

---------------------
major jay

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 06:22:24 AM »

Here's a couple of possibilities.

Pacman000
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »

I remember enjoying The Blob (50's) when I was younger.

I might also suggest The 3 Worlds of Guilver to get her started of on Harryhausen.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »

My daughter flipped for Ray Harryhausen....

Small | Large

Plus she loved the old classic horror films,like The Mummy and the original Dracula.....ones with tons of atmosphere and not mostly gore.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 12:41:03 PM »

Been thinking about The Blob. It's a fun movie, and we see very little of the thing actually eating people. Plus, Ro already loves the theme song.

Anything with mummies is definitely out. Ro is scared to death of mummies. Never understood why.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:43:23 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »

Been thinking about The Blob. It's a fun movie, and we see very little of the thing actually eating people. Plus, Ro already loves the theme song.

Anything with mummies is definitely out. Ro is scared to death of mummies. Never understood why.

Ooops! Ignore part of my post.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »

I'd go with some  GAMERA flicks; too fake to be scary and that character was pretty much intended for kids anyway.

Not really cold-war related but the old ULTRAMAN episodes are pretty crazy & fun.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet but any kaiju film that's not overlly dark would be good, also any Harryhausen I'm sure a kid would like.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »

I remember really enjoying THE SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD when I saw it as a kid on a re-release at the drive-in.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 04:11:03 PM »

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet but any kaiju film that's not overlly dark would be good, also any Harryhausen I'm sure a kid would like.

She's seen some kaiju already - Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, Godzilla vs. Monster Zero, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla so far. She enjoys those.

I will look into more Harryhausen movies. Quite a lot to choose from there.

---------------------
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 07:33:39 PM »

"The Blob" (the original) terrified me as a child.  I would have night terrors about it, running through the house and screaming.  Those episodes are one possible reason my mother went gray early.

"The Giant Claw" is an awesome b-movie; my kids liked it quite a bit.  They also enjoyed "The Deadly Mantis," and some of the other giant bug movies like "Beginning of the End."  "Them" was a bit too intense for the youngest.  Ditto with "The Horror of Party Beach" - the fake blood and the amazingly bad suspense actually had the kids scared.  Go figure.

As a kid I loved the Harryhausen Sinbad movies. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best Classic B-Movies for Small Kids « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.