Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:28:51 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best Classic B-Movies for Small Kids « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Best Classic B-Movies for Small Kids  (Read 9795 times)
Pacman000
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 03:42:31 PM »

Abbot and Costello's movies are good.  I suggest Jack and the Beanstalk, Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Abbot and Costello Meet the Invisible Man, and Abbot and Costello go to Mars.

I might also suggest Bert I. Gordon's The Magic Sword.  One word of warning: the FX, though cheesy, can be grotesque.  For example, in one scene, someone falls into swamp water. The water is acidic; when the person floats out all that's left is their skull.  The skull looks fake, but it still may be too much for a young child.  There are several other similar scenes. Watch the film, and use your own judgement.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 01:21:27 PM »

Thought about The Ghost and Mr. Chicken as a possible Halloween movie to share. Ro is pretty familiar with Don Knotts from watching the New Scooby Doo Movies, and we've already watched The Reluctant Astronaut together.

We watched The Iron Giant a couple of nights ago. It was a big hit, and a very good introduction to 50s b-movie themes. Have to admit there are very few heartwarming family films in which a lovable character goes on a rampage against tanks and warships, then collides with a nuclear SLBM to save everyone.

Actually, as 7-year-old girls go, Ro is more familiar with the Cold War and nuclear arms than most. Not that I make a point of discussing these things, but it's kind of an essential part of understanding everything from Godzilla to the Space Race.

The Iron Giant.....really good movie. Wink

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 01:29:18 PM »

These are movies I saw at the Dreamland, Tivoli, Palace, and Ohio as a kid....
THE MAGIC SWORD
JACK, THE GIANT KILLER
ATLANTIS, THE LOST CONTINENT (Beast- men might frighten)
 ALAKAZAM THE GREAT
GORGO
FANTASTIC VOYAGE
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH
SWORD AND THE DRAGON
THE TIME MACHINE (Morlocks might be scary)
GULLIVER'S TRAVELS BEYOND THE MOON
AROUND THE WORLD UNDER THE SEA
SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:45:47 PM by alandhopewell » Logged

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 09:09:12 PM »

Anything old or "classic" bores most adults to tears, and I'm sure the same applies to kids as well.  It might work if all kids were mini-me versions of us badmovie forum members, but we should remember that they are not.  It's a sad commentary on people's taste in entertainment, but it's true.  Although it does sound like your daughter may be a rare exception Andy.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:43:40 AM by the ghoul » Logged
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 07:36:50 AM »

These are movies I saw at the Dreamland, Tivoli, Palace, and Ohio as a kid....
THE MAGIC SWORD
JACK, THE GIANT KILLER
ATLANTIS, THE LOST CONTINENT
MAGIC LAND OF ALAKAZAM
GORGO
FANTASTIC VOYAGE
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH
SWORD AND THE DRAGON
THE TIME MACHINE (Morlocks might be scary)
GULLIVER'S TRAVELS BEYOND THE MOON
AROUND THE WORLD UNDER THE SEA
SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO

Some goodt suggestions in there, and I feel bad about not suggesting George Pal's version of "The Time Machine" myself.  That is an excellent film.  Watched it with my kids a while back and they enjoyed the movie.  My daughter, the oldest, found the scariest part to be the nuclear war destroying the city. 

Anything old or "classic" bores most adults to tears, and I'm sure the same applies to kids as well.  It might work if all kids were mini-me versions of us badmovie forum members, but we should remember that they are not.  It's a sad commentary on people's taste in entertainment, but it's true.  Although it does sound like your daughter may be a rare exception Andy.

I'm not sure it is so much being exceptions, as what they learn.  The nose-turned-up at older movies seems to be something they learn from others (mostly peers) as they get older and interact with them more than parents.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 08:19:09 AM »

I'm not sure it is so much being exceptions, as what they learn.  The nose-turned-up at older movies seems to be something they learn from others (mostly peers) as they get older and interact with them more than parents.

I think kids can have an advantage over adults, in a more active imagination and a more open mind. They can still see the flying saucer while we focus on the strings. They pick up their ideas of cheesy or boring or lame from the jaded adults around them, from their peers, or from years of being exposed to entertainment that leaves nothing to the imagination.

When I was talking to my wife about introducing the little one to more classic b-movies, her response was that the humour would go over Ro's head. At her age, she's not going to be able to make fun of the movie. I explained that this was the whole point. At her age, she doesn't have to enjoy the movie ironically. She can still enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed.

And I'd say that's how we all became fans. We didn't start out making fun of the movies. They were already fun. We look at the movies through our adult eyes and mock them, but there is a fondness there that comes from when we were younger and less fussy, and we genuinely thought those flying hubcaps and rubber suits were cool.

I think there are only two things that might make an old movie unsuitable for kids. It can be too scary (even if it seems terribly fake to us) or it can start to drag with a lot of stilted dialogue. Other than that, the only thing that would stop them from enjoying it is whatever prejudice they pick up from us. As long as it's easy to follow the story and things keep happening, kids won't necessarily be bored.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 08:43:47 AM »

Agree with Andy.  Look at kids playing: they can make-believe without being distracted from the adventure by the hand that is holding the toys and making them move.  Movies simply can be adults at imaginary play - and kids naturally get that.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 01:09:38 PM »

I think kids can have an advantage over adults, in a more active imagination and a more open mind. They can still see the flying saucer while we focus on the strings. They pick up their ideas of cheesy or boring or lame from the jaded adults around them, from their peers, or from years of being exposed to entertainment that leaves nothing to the imagination.

When I was talking to my wife about introducing the little one to more classic b-movies, her response was that the humour would go over Ro's head. At her age, she's not going to be able to make fun of the movie. I explained that this was the whole point. At her age, she doesn't have to enjoy the movie ironically. She can still enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed.

And I'd say that's how we all became fans. We didn't start out making fun of the movies. They were already fun. We look at the movies through our adult eyes and mock them, but there is a fondness there that comes from when we were younger and less fussy, and we genuinely thought those flying hubcaps and rubber suits were cool.

I think there are only two things that might make an old movie unsuitable for kids. It can be too scary (even if it seems terribly fake to us) or it can start to drag with a lot of stilted dialogue. Other than that, the only thing that would stop them from enjoying it is whatever prejudice they pick up from us. As long as it's easy to follow the story and things keep happening, kids won't necessarily be bored.

My daughter used to refuse to watch any film in B&W but now she adores them. In fact she really appreciates the atmosphere of a B&W horror movie. It may be an age thing but then she's never bothered with peer pressure.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best Classic B-Movies for Small Kids « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.