Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:02:18 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  good movies that other people like but you don't. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: good movies that other people like but you don't.  (Read 19388 times)
SC-RM
Dedicated Viewer

« on: September 22, 2012, 01:01:57 AM »

Sometimes there are those occasions when everyone seems to like a film, But you just can't see its appeal.

My top 3:

Singin in the rain: To be fair for the most part i don't like musicals in general. Is there anything substantial about the film other then the one song number everyone knows?

Escape from New York: This one may be more specific to the people I hang out with. Its an ok action flick but it isn't really all that great either, a lot of hamy acting (which may have been on purpose) and bare bones plot makes it just ok.

Citizen Kane: I hear all the time how this is the greatest peice of cinema ever but for me its a dull plodding movie that doesn't hold my interest at all.

How bout you?
SC-RM
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 01:06:52 AM »

meant to put good in quotations
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 01:21:56 AM »

1) LOTR - I find them all incredibly dull and boring. It's about seven hours of watching people walk. Easily the most boring battle scenes I've ever seen. The ending for the last one takes forever and a day. Every time I've tried to watch them I end up ejecting them because I feel myself starting to fall asleep.

2) Magnolia - This is the very definition of a pretentious film. I hate this movie. Magnolia has some of the most despicable and unlikeable characters in the history of cinema in it. There are also things that are unexplained and leave gaping holes of logic with the most obvious one being the back story of Frank T.J. Mackey and how it relates to his current profession. Furthermore, it is impossible to hear what is being said at times during the film as music is playing over the dialogue. There are unspeakably offensive acts committed by many characters.  Yet, the audience is supposed to have sympathy for them. This movie wears the audience out not just because of the length but because of the constant running themes being beaten into their heads. Another issue with this movie is its length. This movie is over three hours long with no intermission. The end result is that the audience is left not only deeply offended by the actions of the bulk of the characters, but worn out by the time Magnolia finally ends. In my book Magnolia is one of the worst movies of all time.

3) Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? is one vicious and mean spirited insult, joke, story or  comment from each of the four individuals directed towards someone within their party. There are no redeeming qualities. It's an overrated first class piece of junk.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 01:59:12 AM »

Definitely LOTR.

I especially do not understand the love for Spider-Man 2. I've watched multiple times, but still don't like it.

Honorable mention goes to Finding Nemo, just because everyone around me said I HAD to see it. It was ok, but it wouldn't exactly be like missing  Godfather 1 or Raging Bull.

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 12:24:59 PM »

1. Citizen Kane....in my opinion one of the most over-rated movies ever done

2.The Dark Knight series....I saw 2 of the 3 and seriously disliked them both

3.Twilight series....egad! What a bunch of teenage silliness.

These movies were very popular and considered good by lots of people but not me.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 01:00:19 PM »

The new Bond movies with Daniel Craig.  I only saw Quantum of Solace but I thought it was absolutely awful. 

Shawn of the Dead.  Made it about halfway through before I couldn't take it any more.  Witless slackers.

Scream - got about 20 minutes into that and I'm like, "I hate these people.  What am I watching this for?"

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 01:46:05 PM »

Never cared for Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Thought Breakfast At Tiffany's was awful.
Desk Set- old "classic" Hepbury/Tracy flick.  Horribly dated and stupid.
Many 80s kids thought Weird Science was great.  I really, really hated it.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
claws
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 02:21:08 PM »

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
Christmas Vacation (1989)
Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990)
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 02:36:35 PM »

Here's another question; How about films you recognize as good or great, or you can see why they have a following, but they just don't personally appeal to you? They just leave you cold?
I honestly find Buster Keaton's "The General" difficult to sit through (and I LOVE Sherlock Jr and others, mind you).

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 04:57:07 PM »

Here's another question; How about films you recognize as good or great, or you can see why they have a following, but they just don't personally appeal to you? They just leave you cold?

I think that's the way most people feel about CITIZEN KANE (me included, to some extent).

Iit's a great point: something might not be "your thing" but you can still recognize it's well-made, and really connect with something but still realize its garbage.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 01:24:08 AM »

I feel the same way about Rocky Horror. Girlfriend tried to sell me on it, but I found it to be unbearable, and tapped out after maybe 35 minutes.

Sure, I realize it has a huge cult following, but its just not my thing, and most musicals to me = zzzzzzz. I suppose it's that classic case of two things I enjoy separately (music and film) not being enjoyable together.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 01:26:13 AM by A_Dubya » Logged

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »

agree with Shaun of the Dead (annoying), LOTR (insanely boring)
for myself will add
Guy Ritchie Movies (annoying)
Shutter Island
Fight Club (good when you're in high school, but embarrassing after that point.
Millers Crossing

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »

Never cared for Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Thought Breakfast At Tiffany's was awful.
Desk Set- old "classic" Hepbury/Tracy flick.  Horribly dated and stupid.
Many 80s kids thought Weird Science was great.  I really, really hated it.

I really never cared for "Breakfast at Tiffany's....and I adore Audrey Hepburn.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »

I honestly find Buster Keaton's "The General" difficult to sit through (and I LOVE Sherlock Jr and others, mind you).

Great example of that....my wife and sister-in-law love THE UNTOUCHABLES, DANCES WITH WOLVES, and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, and I agree, they're great movies, but for me, they fall into the "I've seen it, let's move on" category. I might watch them every few years or so, if they happen to come on, but they own DVDs of them, so about every three months or so, HERE THEY COME.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »

Considering how successful these were, many people liked them. To me they're just mindless fluff (or incomprehensible stories) with the main attractive being explosions and FX... I wanted back the time I lost in my life watching these (never felt that way about stuff like Beast From Yucca Flats, Journey to the Center of the Earth 1989 or even The Lucifer Complex)

Transformers 2
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Armageddon

I also find the recent Batman films to be really overrated making Batman seem more like Iron Man than Batman.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:09:55 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  good movies that other people like but you don't. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.