Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:20:20 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best Monster Movie in Each Monster Genre « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best Monster Movie in Each Monster Genre  (Read 3115 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: September 21, 2012, 04:24:04 AM »

Okay, so I watched this video where the Angry Nintendo Nerd picks his choices for the best monster movies in each genre.

Small | Large

You can agree or disagree with his choices, but I thought it was an interesting topic. So what follows are my choices. I encourage you to follow up with your own choices, and add new monster genres.

Zombies: I love George Romero's initial trilogy. I could pick Night of the Living Dead for starting it all off. I could also pick Dawn of the Dead, because I think that is still to this day the most fully realized zombie film. Then again, Day of the Dead had the best zombie effects. But if I'm going to be truthful, it has to be Return of the Living Dead. I love RotLD. I love it so much that whenever anybody asks me to make the best five films of all time, RotLD will always find its way onto that list. That is how much I love that movie.

Vampires: I can fully understand if people want to pick the Lugosi Dracula, but I'm going to have to with the grungy '80s Near Dark.

Aliens: To my mind, I have to go with The Thing. The Thing has a special place in my heart because I caught a snippet of it when I was very young, and it so terrified me that I did not actually watch the full movie until I was well past my teens. Now I just think it's a great movie on its own terms. You have to love a movie where a horrifying effect is so beyond the pale that the characters themselves comment on it. (A severed head grows legs and crawls across the floor. Character's response? "You have got to be f**king kidding me.")

Tiny Little Monsters: Gremlins 2. Gremlins 2. Always Gremlins 2. Not really a horror movie, just the best live action Warner Bros. cartoon ever made. I love the sheer anarchy of this movie to death.

So that's just three for me. What do you think are the best in the other genres? Wolfmen, Frankenstein Monsters, Giant Kaiju Maniacs? Feel free to add on or refute my choices.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 06:04:26 AM »

.Vampires-this is a toss up for me...DRACULA (1931) and NOSFERATU (1922).
.Frankenstein-like the reviewer above-the SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939)
.Werewolf-hmmmm...geeez...this is a tuffy! Dam! AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON...but The WEREWOLF VS THE VAMPIRE WOMAN is right up there. Sorry Lon.
.Zombies-NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968) and WHITE ZOMBIE (1932).
.Aliens-Carpenter's the THING and IT CONQUERED THE WORLD.
.the Mummy-Hammer's the MUMMY (1959) definitly.
.Giant Monster-KING KONG (1933) and DESTROY ALL MONSTERS!
.Sea Monster-REVENGE OF THE CREATURE and JAWS (yes-he is a monster.).

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 07:47:06 AM »

Giant monster--Godzilla. King Kong has the better story, but Godzilla, in all his incarnations, has far more personality and is just more fun. sorry, I don't think I can pick just one movie here.
Dinosaur (slightly different than just a giant monster)--The Valley of Gwangi. Just because I love saying "Gwangi." Dinosaurus also deserves a mention just for being so much fun. I know the Jurassic Park movies are better in a lot of ways, but these two just hold a very dear place in my heart.
Zombies--Return of the Living Dead. Romero's zombie movies just bore me for some reason. And Dead/Alive gets a very high rank also.
Werewolf--The Wolf Man. I'll give Lon Chaney, Jr.'s version the nod here, just because he did an excellent job portraying the remorseful monster.
Aliens--I want to say The Day the Earth Stood Still, but the alien wasn't the monster in that one; the humans were. So I'll go with the 1956 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. That one scared the ever-lovin' poop out of me as a teenager.
Frankenstein--The Bride of Frankenstein. Weird, funny, and all-around kooky. My kind of movie.
Sea Monster--The Creature from the Black Lagoon. Okay, so it's not exactly a sea monster, but it's close enough.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 07:58:45 AM by Derf » Logged

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 02:43:06 PM »

Hooray Monsters! Cheers

The Giant Monster Genre
I love me some Toho but at this time I must go off-road and possibly upset a lot of people: Cloverfield/Monsters. In a genre where the classic heavyweights reign unchallenged something new is almost unthinkable - something that works even more so. I really like the fact that, years after the genre was at its height, some huge monster can come crashing in and be successful.

The Alien Genre
The Alien series is an obvious honoree, as are The Thing and War of the Worlds, though for the latter two I leave it up to you to choose old or new. In recent years I have to go with District 9, I was just blown away by the aliens and their technology.

The Frankenstein Genre
Young Frankenstein, nothing further. Drink

The Sea Monster Genre
I have to mention Deep Rising. Not only is it a great sea monster movie, it's a great monster movie, period. Also, props to Virus. No, it isn't from the Alien category. Yes, the monster is hostile static cling from outer space but once the MIR shot it onto that ship it became a Sea Monster. There are boats and ocean and aft and portside. There's a monster on a boat and that boat is in water, therefore by transitive property I am correct in dubbing it a sea monster. What?

The Werewolf Genre
The two most important aspects of a werewolf movie are the transformation and the physical appearance of the werewolf. I've seen a lot of werewolf movies and nothing I've seen before or since matches the transformation in An American Werewolf in London.

The Zombie Genre
Now this is a hard question. I'm modify the post when I can give an answer. Question

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »

OH! I forgot a very unique genre-
.The Mummy that turns into a Werewolf films.... Buggedout

Ok...hmmm....this is a tuff one-ok-

FACE OF THE SCREAMING WEREWOLF!

Small | Large

All kidding aside   Wink -heres a genre-for real..
Ok...beyond Werewolves-Man into Monster films aka The Jekyll/Hyde,or othe monsters aka Hideous Sun Demon, etc...

.Man into Monster-of course-gotta be the classic Fredric March DR.JEKYLL and MR.HYDE (1932)
.Tiny Terrors-The FLESH EATERS (1962)
.Man Made Monsters-beyond Frankenstein-ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1932) and-yup-it's got to be said-the BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE!...I LOVE the cone-head mutant!

.Hunchbacks-The 1939 HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME
.Funny Monsters-The EVIL DEAD 2
.Demons-the EXORCIST!!!!!
.Ghosts-the HAUNTING (1963)
.Mythical Monster-the 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD.
.Dinosaurs-ONE MILLON YEARS BC

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »

Ah interesting idea..tough to pick just one for many...

Vampire film: Nosferatu (1922), the scariest IMO. Top 3 Runners Up: Salem's Lot, Black Sabbath, Lugosi's Dracula

Frankenstein film: Bride of Frankenstein (1935). Runners Up: Frankenstein: The True Story, Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, Frankenstein (1931)

Werewolf film: The Wolf Man (1941). Runners Up: An American Werewolf in London, The Howling, The Werewolf (1956)

Mummy film: The Mummy (1932). Runners Up: The Mummy (1959), The Mummy's Hand, Blood From the Mummy's Tomb

Phantom film: Phantom of the Opera (1925). Runners Up: Phantom of the Paradise, The Phantom of the Opera (1962)

Hunchback Film: Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939) Runners Up: Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923), Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)

Invisible Man film: The Invisible Man (1933). Runners Up: The Invisible Man Returns, Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Hollow Man

Giant Monster Film: Gojira (1954). Runners Up: King Kong (1933), The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, 20 Million Miles to Earth

Alien Movies: Alien (1979). Runners Up: The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Blob, This Island Earth

Zombie Films: White Zombie (1932). Runners Up: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead

And a mixture of categories:

Space Vampire films: Queen of Blood. Runners Up: Lifeforce, Planet of the Vampires

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 10:34:49 PM »

Vampire: Dracula (1933) Lugosi is the man.

Aliens: Alien (1979)

Giant Monster: King Kong (1933)

Sea Monster: Jaws (1975)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 10:37:49 PM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 09:29:38 AM »

Ah interesting idea..tough to pick just one for many...

Vampire film: Nosferatu (1922), the scariest IMO. Top 3 Runners Up: Salem's Lot, Black Sabbath, Lugosi's Dracula

Frankenstein film: Bride of Frankenstein (1935). Runners Up: Frankenstein: The True Story, Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, Frankenstein (1931)

Werewolf film: The Wolf Man (1941). Runners Up: An American Werewolf in London, The Howling, The Werewolf (1956)

Mummy film: The Mummy (1932). Runners Up: The Mummy (1959), The Mummy's Hand, Blood From the Mummy's Tomb

Phantom film: Phantom of the Opera (1925). Runners Up: Phantom of the Paradise, The Phantom of the Opera (1962)

Hunchback Film: Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939) Runners Up: Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923), Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)

Invisible Man film: The Invisible Man (1933). Runners Up: The Invisible Man Returns, Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Hollow Man

Giant Monster Film: Gojira (1954). Runners Up: King Kong (1933), The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, 20 Million Miles to Earth

Alien Movies: Alien (1979). Runners Up: The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Blob, This Island Earth

Zombie Films: White Zombie (1932). Runners Up: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead

And a mixture of categories:

Space Vampire films: Queen of Blood. Runners Up: Lifeforce, Planet of the Vampires

I endorse this list.  Thumbup Only two changes I would make: swap KING KONG for GOJIRA and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD for WHITE ZOMBIE.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best Monster Movie in Each Monster Genre « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.