Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:40:12 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  WEIRD STUFF YOU BELIEVED AS A KID « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WEIRD STUFF YOU BELIEVED AS A KID  (Read 14801 times)
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« on: October 04, 2012, 01:57:33 PM »

When I was a kid, I believed....
In the toilet monster, that if you flushed the toilet at night, it would wake up, and grab you.

That the padlocked storage rooms in the basement of the Dreamland, near the Men's room, were where they kept the monsters between movies.

That if you stirred coffee or other beverages backwards, they would unmix.

That the stockboys at the supermarket went out and shot the turkeys they sold for Thanksgiving.

That if you dialed a certain number at night, you could hear dead people talking. (My older cousin, Todd, told me that).

That I could jump off the garage roof with an umbrella, and float down like Jiminy Cricket (Thanks again, Todd!)

That there was a skeleton in our upstairs closet; I thought I heard my mother say so.

What about you?

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 03:02:40 PM »

We lived beside a grammar school that had an iron fire escape attached to it.  When I was around 6 or 7 years old, there was a story going around the neighborhood that if you stepped on a certain spot at the top of the fire escape, the iron stairs would extend very high into the sky and you wouldn't be able to get down.  I remember climbing those stairs and getting very near the top, but being afraid to step on the top landing because I thought I'd get raised up into the clouds and be stuck up there forever. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 04:30:13 PM »

My mom told me that if I opened my mouth really wide, my whole head would turn inside out.  I was skeptical, but you know, it's from mom and she would never lie...

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Raffine

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 12:03:09 AM »

If a snapping turtle bit you it would hang on to you until it thundered. Even if you cut its ugly head off the head would continue to dangle from your arm, foot, whatever.

We did sometimes wonder why you NEVER saw people walking around with big turtles dangling from them, but we rationalized if you DID have a turtle attached to your hand you'd be too embarrassed to go out in public until a thunderstorm freed you from it.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 03:04:30 AM »

If a snapping turtle bit you it would hang on to you until it thundered. Even if you cut its ugly head off the head would continue to dangle from your arm, foot, whatever.

We did sometimes wonder why you NEVER saw people walking around with big turtles dangling from them, but we rationalized if you DID have a turtle attached to your hand you'd be too embarrassed to go out in public until a thunderstorm freed you from it.

BuggedoutBounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I was told that the reason a Volkswagen Beetle had two pipes at its rear was that if the engine failed, you could use it as a wheelbarrow.  TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 01:53:16 PM »

Our across the street neighbor told us that if you kiss a cat on the mouth you'd get cancer.....we were a lot younger and believed her until Mom set us straight.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 02:06:55 PM »

I believed that everyone can read minds. No joke, I thought reading minds was real.

yeah no.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 02:10:17 PM »

As a very young child I believed that when you went to Heaven and moved into your mansion,there would be a big pile of everything you ever lost in the back yard.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 05:25:22 PM »

Forget the garage roof. Forget the umbrella. I believed as a kid, that if I jumped out of the 3rd story window of our apartment, I would survive the experience. Fortunately, I never tried to prove whether that was correct or not.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 06:28:57 PM »

If you step on a spider, it'll rain. I can remember quite a few kids who subscribed to that idea. Don't know where it came from, or why kids kept believing it.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »

If you step on a spider, it'll rain. I can remember quite a few kids who subscribed to that idea. Don't know where it came from, or why kids kept believing it.

I've heard that one before...think it's an old superstition or something. Yeah I believed it as a kid.  Also superstitions like not stepping on a crack (you'll break your mother's back), avoiding black cats.

As a kid at one point, I believed I actually controlled the wind with my mind. Also believed there were fairies in the woods and one shouldn't go on the marsh at evening because that's when they came out. Also thought there really was a pot of gold underneath a rainbow. And oh that you should never look at yourself in a mirror in the dark as you would see the Grim Reaper. Yeah I was a bit kooky as a kid I guess.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
ChaosTheory

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »

That I could jump off the garage roof with an umbrella, and float down like Jiminy Cricket (Thanks again, Todd!)

Yep, I was pretty convinced of that one; sadly my mother refused to let me prove it.

I believed if you didn't keep your eyes closed when you sneezed, your eyes would pop out of your head.  I also believed your eyes would pop out if you held your breath for too long.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »

when I was very young I used to think that when a man and woman got married, the woman had to have a baby on the day of the wedding

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 11:11:28 PM »

when I was very young I used to think that when a man and woman got married, the woman had to have a baby on the day of the wedding

My parents were fine with telling me the mechanics of conception when I was little, but avoided any talk about sexual activity. There was a time when I thought it just happened after marriage, maybe because couples slept in the same bed. The sperm just wiggled their way across the sheets during the night or something. Needless to say, it made much more sense after somebody finally explained intercourse.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 06:08:32 AM »

I got the same idea from Mary Poppins-tried it too-only it was from a huge stack of lumbar at my freind Frankie Marada's hous in Wappinger Falls,NY.

I beleved this as well for the looongest time! untill my early teens! Sheesh!  Lookingup

I also beleived that if an earwig got into your ear-it would crawl into your brain and lay eggs-thanks to an old episode of "Night Gallery" for that little nightmare.

My mom told me that if I opened my mouth really wide, my whole head would turn inside out.  I was skeptical, but you know, it's from mom and she would never lie...

Heh heh-I thought for the longest time if I crossed my eyes  too much they would stay crossed-FOREVER.

When I was a little kid we stayed in a foster care home of some old lady who had this  large photo of some creepy kid in a Buster Brown type suit hanging in her bedroom-the eyes followed us...me and my brother really thought the picture was of a kid that lived and was murdered there and he lived in the picture.

In our old farmhouse on Dead End Road we had a bedroom whch was next to the attic-a small door in our room led into it.
My brother Mike told me that a dead kid named Billy lived in there. He couldn't come out because if you saw him you would die too-and live in the attic as well-FOREVER.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  WEIRD STUFF YOU BELIEVED AS A KID « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.