Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:33:47 PM
713374 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Dark Knight Returns: Part 1 (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Dark Knight Returns: Part 1 (2012)  (Read 2090 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: October 06, 2012, 08:20:52 AM »

A brand new DC animated adaption as arrived and this time it is of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns... well half of it at least.  This movie covers the first two issues up to the point after Batman and the Mutant Leader fight the second time.

The story takes place ten years in the future after Jason Todd was murdered, Bruce Wayne has given up the title of Batman and went on with his life.  Gordon is a couple weeks from retiring, the Joker is being a shell of his former shell and living quietly in Arkham, Harvey Dent has been released after his face has been restored, and crime rates are through the roof as a new vicious gang called the Mutants are viciously causing choas in Gotham.  One night, Bruce realizes that enough is enough and returns to being Batman to fight crime.

So what is good about this movie?  Lots of things.  This is a great adaption of Miller's classic comic, hitting all the main and great points just right.  It did a great job of even cleaning up some rough parts (there was some dialogue that was sort of cringe worthy originally) and even cut down some of the political talk that was littered in the comic.  It is still there and there is quite a bit of it, but not as often as there was in the comic.

Now the art of this movie is great as well, bringing Miller's style and characters to life.  The coloring worked just as well, really adding more to the scenes and mood, like in the scene where Batman confronts the Mutants in the arcade.  Also, the action was very well animated and the fight scenes was just brutal, especially with some great sound work as well.

We also had a pretty solid soundtrack here that worked well with each scene, the voice work was very good (Robocop himself was Batman), and the film in general was very engaging.  I watched this with my dad and he had a great time, though his reaction to when Dr. Wolper explained how Batman was making crimes worse when in fact crime rates were dropping was great.  I remember him saying, "What the crap is he talking about?!"

Now, despite being a good adaption, there were some odd things that caught my attention.  First of all, there was no mention of the government in this movie.  The government plays a big part later on in the comic and I'm surprised the movie didn't even bring it up or show Chuck Brick, the presidential media advisor who pops in from time to time.  The second thing is the way the movie is structured.  The way it is, if the excluded the Joker scenes in this movie, you could leave off the Part 1 in the title and have yourself a complete movie.  You see Joker occasionally in the movie in Arkham, but he doesn't do much besides just sit around.  In the comic, towards the beginning of it, he actually gets out of his funk and is well aware of Batman's return.  In the movie, he doesn't get out of it until the very end and leaves the film on a cliffhanger to set up for Part 2.

Now those are sort of nitpicks of mine, so do not think too much of them.  This is a great film that you guys got to see if you are Batman fans.  Were you disappointed by The Dark Knight Rises this year?  Well then, see The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 because I can assure you, you won't be disappointed at all.

Small | Large

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »

I bought the complete graphic novel when it came out in '86; BTW, the "toll-free" vote to off Jason Todd didn't happen until two years later.

Everything Batman is currently owes a debt to B:TDKR.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 11:59:06 PM »

I liked it. I am a little nervous about the Joker awakening until after the Mutant Leader is defeated. Makes me concerned the Joker will be the final 'boss' in the end after all.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Dark Knight Returns: Part 1 (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.