Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:36:37 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  THIS is the Munsters?! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: THIS is the Munsters?!  (Read 12513 times)
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 01:37:25 PM »

Seems to me that they should have re-made the Addams Family again if they wanted to go this route. It would be a bit weird for everyone to get a looks upgrade, but at least it wouldn't hurt the premise of the show itself.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 09:18:22 PM »

Opened with a mildly amusing (Well, I actually felt insulted.) tribute to Prophecy, & went downhill from there.

Very unfunny & misanthropic, with a very depressing ending.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Jim H

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 12:31:17 AM »

I thought it a mixed bag with potential as a series.

Eddie Izzard and this version of the Grampa character was definitely the best thing going.  He was genuinely amusing, with some good lines and attitude.  Liked him.

The weakest part was easily the generic sitcom drama, like with the song and dad. 

Effects work was generally very good, production values were excellent - the new home looked great. 

It wasn't real great, but I didn't regret watching it and would have given it a few more episodes if it'd been picked up.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »

I thought it was actually pretty true to the original series, without trying to be it. A family of monsters behaving like a normal family while doing what monsters do. The main differences are that there is more horror and drama, the comedy is darker, the family is aware that they aren't like most other people, and Herman's makeup is not based on the classic Universal Frankenstein.

I was mainly worried because the promotional stills and the interviews made it seem like a huge departure from the original, but it really wasn't. Nor was it a crappy rehash. I think it managed to find the sweet spot between pointless knock-off and complete bastardization, where you actually get something worthwhile. That little nod to Prophecy at the beginning made me feel much better about the whole thing. It said that this show is still rooted in horror movies, but not limiting itself to the old classics or the new and trendy. Recreating the unintentionally hilarious scene from an obscure 30-year-old horror movie said that it was made with people like me in mind, and not dumbed down so everyone would get every joke. It didn't disappoint me. I thought it was a pretty clever show.

Really a shame the series didn't go ahead. Considering that most good series are a little awkward at first, but improve as they become more familiar, I think this one would have been great. I really had no complaints. Maybe if they'd handled the publicity in a way that wasn't misleading, and didn't set alarm bells ringing among the target audience, Mockingbird Lane might have had a chance.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 01:39:39 PM »

IMHO, making Herman more contemporary with the gross out gags kinda worked. It coulda worked if they tried the same with the rest of the cast.

The ending really ruined it. Hatred

I think they should've used Black No.1 (Little Miss Scare All) by Type O Negative. It would've been way more faithful to the original theme song than that symphony thing they tried.

I didn't like how they tried to make Marylin as creepy, if not creepier than the rest of the cast. That really backfired for me..

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 10:45:15 AM »

Didn't even realize this existed until today...

One thing I noticed, the original grandpa is based around the classic Bela Lugosi style dracula, but Izzard's is clearly based on the 1992 Coppola drac, minus the hairdo. He even corporializes as a pile of rats like the latter.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 10:14:23 PM »

Golly.....this can't be serious. What are they thinking? Lookingup

They weren't thinking, is more like it.  Buggedout

Gimme' the good old eccentricity and charm of the original actors and the original Gothic set pieces and house interior any day of the week. There will never be another Fred Gwynne or Al Lewis (or the rest of them for that matter).
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 08:54:36 PM »

It wasn't that bad, actually.

I dug it.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  THIS is the Munsters?! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.