Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:13:24 AM
713391 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  'OK' Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 'OK' Movies  (Read 5815 times)
Pete B6K
« on: April 29, 2002, 08:54:23 AM »

http://www.ok.com/movies/edited.htm

Just thought I'd draw your attention to this site that  thought was pretty funny. They're a compnay of Christian do-gooders who takes films and edit out any violence, nudity, profanity or blasphemy to make films including Scream 2 a wholesome viewing experience for the whole family. The inclusion of that particular film i found quite confusing, cos it means they need to edit out anything remotely scary, which would leave the film really wierd.

Also ripped to pieces are Blade, Scream 3, Scary Movie 2, Alien Ressurection, Army of Darkness, Fight Club and many other films that may once have been good, but are now just 'OK'.
J.R.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2002, 09:20:51 AM »

There's a small video store in my town that carries edited movies. I say small because the average walk-in closet is bigger and their selection is quite limited. What's even the point? Why would you want to watch edited action or horror movies? All you'd be left with would be a weak plot. I guess ultra-conservatives looking for squeeky clean fun have to turn to this- Have you ever seen movies  produced by religious organizations? Terrible dialogue, acting, direction, production values... they could almost be reviewed on this site. Funny, though, when you realize how violent and steamy the Bible is.
Lee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2002, 09:32:17 AM »

J.R., I know exactly  what you mean. Being a fairly regular church goer, I've heard many sermons and whatnot. There's stuff in there that would earn a NC-17 rating atleast if it was dipicted in movies the way it is in The Bible!
John Morgan
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2002, 09:43:33 AM »

There is a market for "edited down" versions of movies.  Look at the movies shown on TV.  "Edited for Time and CONTENT"  Though, with the TV rating system in use, they don't seem to be editing out everything as they used to.  

The other day, while I was flipping through the channels, I came accross "Showgirls."  It was so hilarious how they put "Digital Bras" on every girl during one of the shows.  It made the movie into a MST3K comedy.  (I've never seen the movie though, I just know it was bad.)

My point, you can take editing too far.  I find that most people would like a movie to tell a good story and not see how much they can shock the viewer.
Flangepart
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2002, 10:25:56 AM »

Violent and steamy? Please....a police blotter has more steam. It tells you what happened, and leaves out the details, as it expects you can figure that out on your own. Theres a difference between sayeing something happened, and lurid embellishment. These Christian groups are barking up the wrong tree,anyway. Editing such films as the Scream series is a ludicrous idea. Why Bother? Still....have to admit....could be funny. Creative editing has its moments.
Ken Begg
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2002, 01:04:58 PM »

I agree with Flangeport.  That whole thing about all the pruient sex and violence in the Bible is a tired, and worse, utterly inaccurate, cliche.  If we reduced all movie sex to Biblical levels of graphicness, two people would go into a room, a card would appear saying, "And Billy layed with Felicity," and we'd continue on to the next scene.  Same with violence, only it would be "And so did Spider-Man smite the Green Goblin."
Mofo Rising
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2002, 03:04:36 PM »

I don't know, FIGHT CLUB as edited by an ultra-conservative might be kind of interesting.  I wonder how long the edited cut would be.  Thirty-five minutes?  Twelve?
J.R.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2002, 09:16:48 PM »

On that site it says their reviewer couldn't even sit through Fight Club all the way. Then they complain that in Planet Of The Apes the apes worship a monkey god, not Jesus. And in the Thomas Crown affair they left in the dialog of a sex scene but blacked out the screen. Wouldn't it be funny if God really did pass judgement on you based on what movies you watched? "Well, you lived a good life and believed in me, but you watched Die Hard way too many times. Burn in damnation!!!"
Jim Hepler
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2002, 10:02:10 PM »

That's just cause the authors of the bible suck at writing descriptively.  

Do you honestly think the lack of description makes it any less disgusting?  Even if they showed the bible cleanly, if they showed everything it'd probably still get an R for adult themes.  Of course, the bible is so long it'd make a very long movie...
Offthewall
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2002, 04:53:48 PM »

I'm a christain, very much christain. I'll agree with you guys. I'm a believer in God, not in what the christain comunnity does. It seems most christains forget verses like "Judge Not less ye be Judged" or "Before pointing out a speck in your neighbors eye, take the plank out of yours"
Lee
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2002, 09:38:25 PM »

I hear that Offthewall! I'll be the first to admit that I'm no saint, but I don't think I'm making a huge sin just by watching movies. Hell, this one girl I'm friends with(who could probably qualify as a saint) watches a lot of the same movies I do.
AndyC
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2002, 10:39:11 PM »

I'm not sure I agree with the focus on Christians or conservatives. I would consider myself part of both categories, and I don't agree with chopping up movies until they are unwatchable. Every belief system has its extremists. I can even think of a few left-wing agnostics who would be just as interested in controlling what other people do for fun, if it doesn't fit with their own ideals. This particular example involves Christians, but it could be anybody. I object to the use of the term 'Christian do-gooders' in the original post, simply because most of the Christian do-gooders I know are doing just that - good. They're helping the elderly and working in soup kitchens and sending blankets to the Afghans (no pun intended), and watching the same movies everybody else watches. These movie butchers are no more representative of the Christian community than terrorists are representative of the Muslim community.
john
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2002, 01:16:15 AM »

I read an article once that said there was some Christian organization making specially editted copies of movies for store chains like Wal-Mart. If I remember correctly, it said you could tell those versions by a little dove logo somewhere on the box. Blockbuster also carries specially censored versions of some movies. I've heard that they refuse to carry NC-17 movies, they have to be cut to an R-rating.
Flangepart
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2002, 02:13:34 PM »

No, the writers of the Bible diden't Suck at descriptive writeing, they diden't see the need to be graphic. That was not the intent of the exercise. The point of the Disgusting material, was to make it clear, that some actions and ways of living were not good for the people of Israel. There is a big differance between "Biblical Minimalist information", and the National Inquiorer".
Flangepart
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2002, 02:18:01 PM »

Fair enough, AndyC. I don't see the point ot super editing movies, Lucas and Speilburg do that enough, thank you! Take the picture as is, and explain it as you will, but don't try to turn someone elses story into a compleatly differant animal. MST3K diden't re-creat a movie, they just used humor to critique it as it went along. Works for me!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  'OK' Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.