Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:31:18 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things You Didn't Know About Other Countries « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Things You Didn't Know About Other Countries  (Read 4807 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: October 14, 2012, 02:56:59 AM »

So I was watching this serial killer movie set in London called Tony. Interesting but not great movie.

However, it called to my attention something I never knew. Apparently you need to pay a license fee to operate a television in the U.K. I'm sure all our British friends on this board find this as nothing new, but I had never heard about it before. I was actually a bit shocked. If a licensing fee for television in the States was proposed we might just end up with a completely new electorate. I think the NRA would have a run for their money in vociferousness if it was ever suggested that television should require licensing fees. (Americans love their television.)

So what did you never know about other countries that you were surprised to find out?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
claws
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 06:51:48 AM »

No free refills in Germany. You pay for every refill, though there are a few minor exceptions. You get free refills when dining in an IKEA restaurant, or at KFC.
dean

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 07:27:38 AM »

I just found out that St Petersberg in Russia has an 'Anti-Gay Propaganda' law in which it's illegal to produce any material that may be 'pro-gay' even if it is something as simple as having a rainbow in a picture.  Weird and scary.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2012/10/14/16/18/milk-carton-promoting-homosexuality-to-children

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 11:23:53 AM »

Monaco doesn't use the EU currency, though since it is close to France, they will accept Euro's.

yeah no.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 01:22:41 PM »

In Australia they call ketchup "tomato sauce".  Which raises the obvious question:  What the heck do they call tomato sauce?

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »

there are like 15,000-20,000 Jews who live in Iran.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 05:51:34 PM »

In Australia they call ketchup "tomato sauce".  Which raises the obvious question:  What the heck do they call tomato sauce?

That reminds me. A couple of years ago, when I was in Finland, I learned that they call, what we call a moose here in North America, they call an elk. What they call an elk, or even if they have elk in Finland, I never found out.

I also found out, in that part of the world, pickup trucks are not common. They are so rare, that even English speakers have a hard time understanding the concept of pickup truck.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »

I spent a month in Australia several years back and if I remember correctly they call actual tomato sauce "pasta sauce".

They also don't refrigerate their sauce. (ketchup)  It was weird going to the cupboard instead of the refrigerator to get some for my fries.  (er...chips)   Wink
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 12:01:54 AM »

In much of France the police, fire department, postal workers, even some of the local road repair crews come around and shake everyone down for money by going to people's houses and leaning on them to buy these super-overpriced items. Everyone knows it's a payoff but almost everyone goes ahead and buys the clocks, calendars, wine, car window shades, whatever the case may be at a 500% markup, because records are kept of who bought what, and that's remembered if ever you call the police about something. In a country that quietly moves along under a system of gifts/bribes, the practice seems to be mostly shrugged off by natives as a sort of under the counter taxation that keeps up good will and lubricates civic relations.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 08:36:33 AM »

ER they aready pay the highest taxes!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 11:16:43 AM »

South Koreans believe that if you have a fan running all night in the room that you're sleeping in, it will kill you. 

For reals!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »

South Koreans believe that if you have a fan running all night in the room that you're sleeping in, it will kill you. 

For reals!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

Wow, I've cheated death so many times, and I wasn't even aware. Seriously, I like to sleep with a fan running even when it isn't hot out. I like that bit of white noise and the slight air movement.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 01:38:58 PM »

The French are also a bit overenamored, perhaps, of the per rectum approach to delivering medication.   (Suppositories.)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 12:57:52 AM »

Apparently you need to pay a license fee to operate a television in the U.K. I'm sure all our British friends on this board find this as nothing new, but I had never heard about it before.

We do the same in SA: a license costs R250 (about $25) yearly. The amount you pay is commensurate with the number of sets you have. Never mind that I almost never watch our local main broadcaster's programs.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things You Didn't Know About Other Countries « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.