Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:47:50 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Your thoughts on Brutal Death Metal? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Your thoughts on Brutal Death Metal?  (Read 12970 times)
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 15, 2012, 04:10:02 PM »

Awhile back I was on a local metal site and I said something to the extent that brutal death metal was for rednecks which got me banned from the site. (Geez, some metalheads can be touchy!) Where I was coming from was the fact that the local record shop was littered with bands like Broken Hope, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, etc in the 'metal' section - I live in hick ass Cape Breton which doesn't speak well for the local music taste  Smile. I grew up on Death's early stuff, Carcass, and good stuff like that. I feel that if you're a metalhead there's bands you get into when you're in your early  stages, then you hear better bands and then you move on. It really puzzles me that bands like Cannibal Corpse still thrive. I just don't get the appeal. I don't get the so-called "brutality" of bands like Mortician. It's not brutal, it's juvenile and cheesy IMO. What do you folks think of this subgenre of metal?

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 07:35:15 PM »

I think there's too many subgenres in music.  Pop, power-pop, pop rock, punk, pop punk, dance punk, cowpunk, post-punk, rock, hard rock...etc. 

I did dig Cannibal Corpse at one point, and can see the association of metal with 'rednecks', although, from where I live, rednecks generally listen to George Strait and that country stuff.

Honestly, I didn't even know Corpse was still around, to tell the truth. 

I do dig some metal bands out now, like Killswitch Engage, A Day to Remember, and a few others.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 07:53:21 PM »

My brother is the death metal guy in the family, he was very involved with the local Jersey death metal scene in the late 80s/early 90s (he used to be the "fan correspondent" for Incantation, i.e. the guy who maintained their P.O. box, answered fan mail for them, filled merch orders, etc.).

I went to quite a few death metal shows back then (Morbid Angel, Obituary, early Sepultura, Macabre, Ripping Corpse, etc.) thanks to my bro's connections and though I'll admit that I admired many of them on a technical/musicianship level, I simply could never get into the growling WOOOOARRRRGH vocal style. It irritates the snot outta me.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 08:02:09 PM »

My brother is the death metal guy in the family, he was very involved with the local Jersey death metal scene in the late 80s/early 90s (he used to be the "fan correspondent" for Incantation, i.e. the guy who maintained their P.O. box, answered fan mail for them, filled merch orders, etc.).

I went to quite a few death metal shows back then (Morbid Angel, Obituary, early Sepultura, Macabre, Ripping Corpse, etc.) thanks to my bro's connections and though I'll admit that I admired many of them on a technical/musicianship level, I simply could never get into the growling WOOOOARRRRGH vocal style. It irritates the snot outta me.

Ooohhh...I forgot about Morbid Angel and Obituary.  Good stuff.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
voltron

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »

Wow, I would have killed to see early Sepultura live (Beneath The Remains era?)....I've noticed that a lot of diehard DM fans can be close minded when it comes to anything but the BLLLEEUURRGH vocal style. I've met a few fans who don't like the "hardcore" vocals of a lot of grindcore acts for instance.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 09:03:01 PM »

Ooohhh...I forgot about Morbid Angel and Obituary.  Good stuff.

I saw Morbid Angel when they were touring for their "Altars of Madness" debut... they could seriously throw down live... I walked outta there like "Slayer are WIMPS compared to those guys." Trey Azagthoth (or however you spell it) is a totally deranged guitar player...

Wow, I would have killed to see early Sepultura live (Beneath The Remains era?)....

Yeah, I saw'em in '89 when they first toured the U.S. for Beneath, and then about a year later when they re-issued the previous album Schizophrenia in the U.S.  Obituary opened for'em the second time around and they damn near blew Sepultura off the stage.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 10:20:44 PM »

I like it. Sometimes you just want to hear a song go some place just because it can.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 11:53:53 AM »

I have heard of this sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub genre, seems to be just a heavier Death metal, and it really doesn't give much of a evil feeling, not like Melodeath metal, which has a certain trait that makes it creepier (probably the bass played in minor rather than in Major). Also, as much of a fan I am to metal, I have listened to a few bands of this genre and....it sounds generic IMO. It just sounds bland, probably because a person I know raves so much as if it's the best thing in the world. Lookingup

yeah no.
Pilgermann

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »

I have heard of this sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub genre, seems to be just a heavier Death metal, and it really doesn't give much of a evil feeling, not like Melodeath metal, which has a certain trait that makes it creepier (probably the bass played in minor rather than in Major). Also, as much of a fan I am to metal, I have listened to a few bands of this genre and....it sounds generic IMO. It just sounds bland, probably because a person I know raves so much as if it's the best thing in the world. Lookingup

What on earth is Melodeath metal?

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 07:46:47 PM »

What on earth is Melodeath metal?
Death Metal with New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Groups like In Flames, Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, etc.

yeah no.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 03:55:38 AM »

brutal death metal...love some of it, can't stand some of it. and for a (sub)genre that basically all sounds 'the same' that's quite weird, I know.

my top 3 brutal death metal albums of all time are Brodequin - Methods Of Execution, Human Mincer - Degredation Paradox, and Lust Of Decay - Kingdom Of Corpses

here's a track off each of those albums.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

there seem to be a few unwritten 'rules' for this stuff. for a start guitar solos are a no-no... that's just too flashy. Also the lyrics are not supposed to be understood. If you can make out any of the words, something's gone wrong. It's all about the unrelenting, bludgeoning force of the grooves...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:11:25 AM by zombie #1 » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »

Brutal Death Metal?  I like the concept, but 95 percent of the music bores me to death.  .....Oh wait, I get it now!  That's why they call it DEATH metal!
spongekryst
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 10:09:45 AM »

I got out of the "metal scene" in high school and actually made a name for myself around town for dissing the local bands. I'd heckle them at shows, play their instruments when they were setting up, and mosh a little too violently for their fans. I'm not as hateful now and still like a lot metal music, but it all starts to blend together when that's all you listen too.

I tend to like stuff like Demilich, Portal, Cryptopsy (first two albums), and Immolation. Then I'll listen to thrash (Sodom, old Slayer, etc.), then Ratt or Manowar for laughs. I also dig doom and power metal a lot. In essence, I'm anti-elitist and don't like it when people take it too seriously.
voltron

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 05:40:57 PM »

In essence, I'm anti-elitist and don't like it when people take it too seriously.
I've encountered many metal fans that are total elitists. They can be just as pretentious as goths. As much as I now despise the snob factor of metalheads, I know I'll always be one at heart, if that makes any sense.

spongekryst
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »

It does, because in a way so am I. Metal music has been in my life since the very beginning and I'll never give it up completely. These guys who who supposedly memorize 50,000,000 obscure band names by heart and fancy themselves potential serial killers just make it hard sometimes. To me, as long as you have something interesting to the table or at least not something completely boring, then it's all good. Jockhole elitist should just be there to laugh at, pity even.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Your thoughts on Brutal Death Metal? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.