Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:25:41 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Evil Dead (1981) vs The Evil Dead (2013) « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which make-up looks scarier?  (Voting closes: November 17, 2039, 01:40:55 AM)
1981 version - 26 (89.7%)
2013 version - 3 (10.3%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The Evil Dead (1981) vs The Evil Dead (2013)  (Read 22903 times)
Robocop
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 21, 2012, 01:40:55 AM »

I know there isn't a lot of information about the remake at this point, but this production image does make for an interesting comparsen piece to the orignal. Its obviously a more updated realistic look which reminds me of the make up design used for the girl in The Exorcist (1973) which incidentally the orignal 1981 film used as a reference template for its blend of horror and black humor. Anyway, which do you think looks creepier?

My vote still goes to the 1981 version.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 02:07:02 PM »

The first one looks better because it's not incredibly realistic.  It's an overblow EC Horror style exaggeration, which makes it look even creepier. 

Also apparently the voting in this topic is going to close in October 11, 1903, which is just weird. 
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 02:38:09 PM »

One of the things that bothers me with 'modern horror' is the emphasis on so-called visual "realism."

Think about it...what would a creepy zomboid look like, anyway?  Or a werewolf...or vampire.  Much of the genre deals with fantastic characters, so what the heck is "realistic?"

The "old ways" settled the issue with making something that looked disturbing, then utilized mood, story and acting (and some other stuff, like music) to make "creepy" or "scary."  What was taken by the viewer to be "horrific" was not necessarily VISUALLY horrific, though it could be.

It just strikes me as lazy film making that all the "horror" eggs are put into the visual basket these days...and as such, the 'race for who can make the goriest movie' or what not has destroy my interest in contemporary 'horror' pretty much completely.  I find "psychological thriller" to be a more interesting genre these days.

Shoot, I find "Romantic Comedy" to be a more interesting genre these days...that's what I've come to think of most modern horror.

I cannot even see the point of remaking THE EVIL DEAD.  It works in the context of when it was made, how it was made, who made it and what it showed/did not show.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 03:19:33 PM »

One of the things that bothers me with 'modern horror' is the emphasis on so-called visual "realism."

Think about it...what would a creepy zomboid look like, anyway?  Or a werewolf...or vampire.  Much of the genre deals with fantastic characters, so what the heck is "realistic?"

The "old ways" settled the issue with making something that looked disturbing, then utilized mood, story and acting (and some other stuff, like music) to make "creepy" or "scary."  What was taken by the viewer to be "horrific" was not necessarily VISUALLY horrific, though it could be.

On that note, I'd also like to go on record as saying I preferred the original Nightmare on Elm Street's twisted pizza face makeup as opposed to the more realistic burn victim design they used in the newer movie. 
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 04:08:13 PM »

I understand that movies want to look more realistic, and it is hugely beneficial to draw from life. However, if everyone goes for "as realistic as possible," it all starts to look the same. That's not necessarily bad, but we're dealing with demonic possession of corpses here. The 1981 looks possessed, like some demonic force intruding on our reality and using a meat puppet to assume a crude caricature of the human body.

The 2013 version, well...she looks like she has a bit of a skin condition and spent all day rolling in the dirt. Granted, it's hard to tell how effective the effects will be, because part of what makes any movie monster scare/creepy/whatever is how the actor(s) play it. Fantastic makeup and costumes can't make up for an actor who doesn't know how to act like a monster.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 06:46:07 PM by The Gravekeeper » Logged
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 06:28:09 PM »

They're both kinda creepy, but I do think the original version is definitely scarier!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Deathfeast
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 07:15:59 PM »

1981 wins for me. The 2012 looks like an easy halloween costume that anyone could easily do. I would go in kick it in the face without any fear. Drink
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 12:31:11 AM »

What do I think of the remake?

(Slam your fists on the desk as you read along):

Dead by dawn!!
Dead by dawn!!
DEAD by DAWN!!
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 11:53:50 AM »

My first thought at seeing the 2012 job was, "I've seen this somewhere before." The style just looks too familiar, too similar to many of the horror movies I've seen in recent years. I swear, they all use those exact same eyes. As far as these two images, not the new film or actors or all that, goes, I definitely prefer '81.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 04:52:34 PM »

I know there isn't a lot of information about the remake at this point, but this production image does make for an interesting comparsen piece to the original. Its obviously a more updated realistic look which reminds me of the make up design used for the girl in The Exorcist (1973) which incidentally the original 1981 film used as a reference template for its blend of horror and black humor. Anyway, which do you think looks creepier?

My vote still goes to the 1981 version.

I am BIG fan of the original Evil Dead.  I love watching it and laughing at the Demons who are going to swallow our souls.  Hope they don't choke.    BounceGiggle BounceGiggle  The make up on the remake looks scarier because it looks human.  That could be the down fall for  the hero of the movie.  The demon could catch people off guard and then swallow the souls.  I don't like remakes too much, but I would like to see how the director does the evil in the woods.  That could be really scary.   Buggedout

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 07:32:43 PM »

My initial response to this movie is of course to kill it with fire, but Ill try as hard as possible to watch it with an open mind.

Swordmaster1982
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 09:29:10 PM »

The 2012 pic reminds me of Reagan in THe Exorcist.I prefer the 81 pic also.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 11:24:06 PM »

Small | Large

There's the trailer guys.

Um... No one hurt me for what I'm about to say, but It doesn't look bad. I think it has potential to be decent. And this is coming from a guy who has The Evil Dead in his top 5 favorite films of all time.

dean

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 12:49:28 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxLjqazSmQo
There's the trailer guys.

Um... No one hurt me for what I'm about to say, but It doesn't look bad. I think it has potential to be decent. And this is coming from a guy who has The Evil Dead in his top 5 favorite films of all time.

So far I've been hearing nothing but good things so far about the remake.  Shall still wait and see but the trailer looks demented enough to at least make me sit up and take notice.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 01:53:17 AM »

O...kay the trailer does make it look decent. I might actually watch this; however, I will be disappointed if it follows the remake trend of making pretty well all the characters completely unlikable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Evil Dead (1981) vs The Evil Dead (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.