Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:28:36 AM
713399 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Evil Dead (1981) vs The Evil Dead (2013) « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which make-up looks scarier?  (Voting closes: November 17, 2039, 01:40:55 AM)
1981 version - 26 (89.7%)
2013 version - 3 (10.3%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: The Evil Dead (1981) vs The Evil Dead (2013)  (Read 22910 times)
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 04:55:06 PM »

The new makeup doesn't look awful, but the trailer makes me think that the remake is tossing all subtlety and creeping isolation out the window in favor of more obvious, polished shocks. I give them props for keeping the unsettling, self-mutilating demons instead of just having them scream and attack like animals, but why is the conflict so telegraphed in the trailer, and where is the physical intensity?

Yeah, the trailer looks "decent," but the original film was so much more. I don't like settling for less.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Robocop
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 03:46:32 AM »

Now that the remake has been released theatrically, does anyone want to retract there comments or change votes?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 04:26:19 AM »

I saw the hat made the original work was the humor.
The new one doesn't have any. The original the EVIL DEAD,besides billing itself as "the ultimate in grueling horror",was nowhere as shocking as THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974) or even JAWS. But it was gawd dam FUN! The remake is NOT fun-it's a modernized remake of a classic.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Bushma

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 07:21:58 AM »

I enjoyed the remake mainly because it was a bit of a gorgy, but it was missing a lot of the comedy I remember from the original.  I recommend watching it, but don't try to compare it to the original.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »

I finally saw this last night, and it is a brutal, violent, gory, disturbing film.  Well done and genuinely creepy, but the black humor that made the original such a classic is nowhere to be found. I won't say I didn't enjoy it - I did, to a degree - but it is a much darker film than the 1981 classic.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
moregore
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 03:29:36 PM »

I finally saw this last night, and it is a brutal, violent, gory, disturbing film.  Well done and genuinely creepy, but the black humor that made the original such a classic is nowhere to be found. I won't say I didn't enjoy it - I did, to a degree - but it is a much darker film than the 1981 classic.

I agree its kinda Apples and Oranges original film was kinda comedic but the reboot is dark, gory and serious I like them both

✌Shop my Horror, Monsters and Halloween auctions!✌

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b
VenomX73

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »

Not the "same" film Imo...

I like both about the same, the 1981 ver is dark-comedy as with this remake is VERY dark - NO comedy.

Just my opinion.  Twirling

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »

I sat inna theater with young kids who had NO idea about the first one...and  I ruined it for them by b***hing about how it was so lame compared to the first. Ah well. f**k EM! The first WAS better,and if punks think different-f**k 'em!
I know that sounds narrow minded-I dont care. The film makers missed the whole point of the EVIL DEAD films.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
frankofthefuture
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 07:07:59 PM »

I think a lot of us are misremembering the original. It did NOT have the humor of Evil Dead II. And, I was guilty of remembering this incorrectly, Ash was NOT the incredible badass he was in the second movie.

I just deleted my post after watching the original again. It's a good classic, but not the "work of genius" that Evil Dead II was. It had some of the interesting camera work, and original makeup, but not the over the top stuff in the second movie.

So, the "remake", Evil Dead, of the original The Evil Dead, is not as horrible as I first thought.

It does have many trappings of the "modern" horror flick...e.g. dark film colors, The Exorcist makeup ripoffs, etc. But, taken as its own movie, it's not as bad as it could have been. Still more interesting than a lot of the junk we get these days.

Again, make sure you are remembering The Evil Dead correctly by watching it again...on Netflix streaming if you have that. It's easy to project memories of EDII onto the first film. Especially since EDII was technically a remake of the original as well.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 08:44:54 AM »

Again, make sure you are remembering The Evil Dead correctly by watching it again...on Netflix streaming if you have that. It's easy to project memories of EDII onto the first film. Especially since EDII was technically a remake of the original as well.

I have to disagree with you on that one. The first five minutes or so of ED2 is essentially a recap of ED1, but from there it becomes a proper sequel.

But yes, the original Evil Dead is not a humorous movie at all; it's straight-up horror.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 08:59:19 AM »

The film makers missed the whole point of the EVIL DEAD films.

Agreed: the same could be said of all the people who've tried to remake a classic horror film.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
VenomX73

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 11:01:29 AM »

The film makers missed the whole point of the EVIL DEAD films.
Agreed: the same could be said of all the people who've tried to remake a classic horror film.  Buggedout

I was under the impression the original director Sam Raimi +Bruce Campbell directed the remake...

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 12:34:08 PM »

I was under the impression the original director Sam Raimi +Bruce Campbell directed the remake...

IMDB doesn't list them as crew, except for crediting Sam Raimi as the writer of the original Evil Dead upon which the 2013 remake/sequel is based.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1288558/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_wr#writers

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »

Having time to give it more thought...

On the good side...
The new Evil Dead (man, I hate when remakes use the same name as the original) is brutal and gory and has a nice atmosphere about it.  The effects are good and it remains unpredictable throughout.

On the bad side
None of the characters ever really clicked with me.  They all seemed rather bland.  Also the sense of danger wasn't there most of the time.  Even the final ULTIMATE EVIL Deadite felt like less of a real danger than the normal possesed people from the original movie. 

It was an atmospheric gory movie, but I don't think you could call it a terrifying one. 
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2013, 07:10:49 PM »

The original made revolutionary use of claymation; probably the only movie that I've ever seen that could legitimately get away with it without making it look cartoonish. I don't mind the more "realistic" look of the Deadites, just like I didn't mind the more "realistic" look of Batman and The Joker in The Dark Knight.

As long as the remake gives proper respect to the source material and attempts to establish ownership via a standout detail; in this case, a darker and gorier, down-to-earth feel to the original story; then I am in full support of a remake just so long as it doesn't retread the exact same ground with different actors playing the same exact role and muttering the same exact lines of dialogue (I'm looking directly at you, John Moore's The Omen!).

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Evil Dead (1981) vs The Evil Dead (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.