Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:13:21 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE RAVEN (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE RAVEN (2012)  (Read 2745 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: October 26, 2012, 09:42:50 PM »

I just finished watching this movie with my daughters and holy cow, it is brilliant!!  John Cusack plays Edgar Allen Poe, the famous American author.  He is madly in love with Emily Hamilton, the daughter of a wealthy Baltimore shipping magnate, when a series of bizarre murders break out, all based on episodes from Poe's famous stories.  As he tries to help the police find the killer, his love Emily is kidnapped and the killer poses a dilemma for the tragedy-ridden author: he must solve a series of clues, which will be left with each additional victim he kills, that will guide Poe to Emily.
Cusack is brilliant as Poe, and Luke Evans does a credible turn as Captain Fields, the tireless detective who helps Poe track down the elusive killer.  Alice Eve is lovely as the beautiful and imperiled Emily, also.

This one is definitely worth seeing!  I strongly recommend you catch it if you can!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 02:28:41 PM »

See, here's the thing. I was going to see this in theaters except that I've been a huge Edgar Allen Poe fan entire life. In fact in college I took an entire class all of which literally only consisted of writing a 20 page paper on the man. As such I have a strong feeling I will probably end up hating this movie the same way that most Lincoln fans I know hated Abrahan Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 06:55:18 PM »

Suspension of disbelief, that's definitely what it takes!!!

I am a huge Lincoln fan and have read many biographies, and I totally enjoyed ALVH.  But I am truly stoked for Spielberg's new Lincoln flick!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 01:10:21 AM »

I ended up watching this as my curiosity about it got the better of me. At times I felt that The Raven was insulting my intelligence.

But that said....I loved it. 5/5  Cheers

John Cusack was excellent, per usual, as Poe. I really don't see why it got dismal reviews. The movie is great that the suspension of disbelief of buying into the world of the movie takes over not immediately, but about half way through.

This is very underrated. See it now!

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:10:49 PM »

I just watches this movie and I loved it.  While not being any scholar on the man, even I could tell they took a few liberties with things (for instance, I'm pretty sure he never worked with the police to solve a serial killer) but it feels believable and Poe makes for an interesting protagonist without becoming either to dreary a character or too much of a typical leading man. 
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE RAVEN (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.