Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:55:41 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Robocop remake! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Robocop remake!  (Read 13285 times)
Chainsawmidget
« on: November 02, 2012, 08:37:47 PM »

I haven't seen any topic here about this yet (maybe I just missed them,) but there's a  new Robocop film in the works. 

And now Robocop looks like this...

Just to clarrify, No.  That's not one o the characters from G.I. Joe: the rise of Cobra, that's not one of the Tron guys with his lights turned off, and it's not Nolan's Batman the day he forgot to put his cape on.  That's supposed to be Robocop. 

Personally, If I was a big Hollywood hot shot, I hired somebody to redesign Robocop, and they gave me this, I'd fire them them on the spot. 

Also, whenever I see this pictures, I just want to stop him and tell him that his glove fell off. 
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 05:55:17 AM »

He looks like an upcoming Metal Gear Solid villain.  This is sooooo not Robocop.  Bluesad

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »

I don't like the costume and I don't like people remaking good films just to make money or because they think they can do it better. Get your own ideas! Lookingup

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 04:26:20 PM »

What is with Hollywood and the skin-tight black costumes with molded muscles? Is it too much to ask for a robot that looks like a machine, not a refugee from the Folsom Street Fair?

Besides, the original costume worked on so many levels. It looked like OCP took the same technology they had in ED-209 and built a prototype humanoid out of it, kind of clunky but built like a tank. And being more mechanical, not just looking like a guy in fancy armour, it emphasized Murphy's loss of his humanity, which was kind of the point. He loses his humanity, then reclaims it. Making him all slick and high-tech and nicely proportioned is just wrong.

And if this new Robocop turns out to be yet another fast-running, high-jumping, super-agile kung-fu acrobat, I'm going to be very annoyed.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:16:37 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 06:39:25 PM »

And if this new Robocop turns out to be yet another fast-running, high-jumping, super-agile kung-fu acrobat, I'm going to be very annoyed.
I'm betting that's exactly what it's going to be. 
ChaosTheory

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 03:23:48 PM »

What is with Hollywood and the skin-tight black costumes with molded muscles?

The line of reasoning there goes exactly as far as: "DARK KNIGHT made huge money!"

Everything about this sounds horrible.  Why Robocop? Who do they think even wants this?  Bluesad

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 10:39:04 PM »

I don't care who they hire to write, direct or act in this thing, they will NEVER be able to create the madness of the villain Clarence Boddicker the way Kurtwood Smith did it. Oh man...all time favorite villain list Top 5 for sure.  Maybe even Top 1.

"b***hes, leave."

"Take a look at my FACE, Dick!"

No sir.  This character cannot be remade, no way, no how.

25 years ago, ROBOCOP was successful as a story because it was gritty and dirty...the production itself carried that - it LOOKS a little rough around the edges and that look set the mood in very subtle ways.  This will likely be a spit and polish CGI visual fx fest, quick camera movements and rapid cut edits, a blur of "it must have been something cool but I missed it" tethered to the 'story' via "clever" one-liners.

I won't buy that for a dollar.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:57:25 PM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
dean

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 08:02:07 AM »

At first I thought this would be interesting as the director apparently had done a documentary on police brutality before, which would be an interesting device to bring to Robocop, but after hearing some of the stories and seeing some of the production stills I hold little hope for this.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 11:18:36 AM »

At first I thought this would be interesting as the director apparently had done a documentary on police brutality before, which would be an interesting device to bring to Robocop, but after hearing some of the stories and seeing some of the production stills I hold little hope for this.
The director has apparently also said "every ten ideas I come up with, the studio kills at least nine of them,"  followed soon after by him saying "No.  I totally didn't say that.  At all.  Really.  I didn't.  ... although we have had some difficulties." 
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 11:54:02 AM »

j

Two more things that bother me. First, they're trying to make Robocop look attractive, because apparently it is now required of all movie heroes. The second picture from the right, where he's walking past the white truck, actually reminds me of a fashion model. It's something in his gait, among other things.

The other thing, and maybe it's just me, is that the new helmet design makes him look like he's always staring down at the ground in front of him.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
akiratubo

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 01:45:46 PM »

I deny this.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 01:54:58 PM »

j

Two more things that bother me. First, they're trying to make Robocop look attractive, because apparently it is now required of all movie heroes. The second picture from the right, where he's walking past the white truck, actually reminds me of a fashion model. It's something in his gait, among other things.

The other thing, and maybe it's just me, is that the new helmet design makes him look like he's always staring down at the ground in front of him.

The one with the White truck is actually a "behind the scenes" shot so he might not walk like that in the movie.  Emphasis on might.  Howeever, I will agree that they're trying to make him look more attractive. 

Compare that unmasked look there to the old unmasked Robocop.
The new one just looks like a guy wearing a suit, while the old guy looks like something that's obviously not human anymore. 
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 02:36:31 PM »

I don't care who they hire to write, direct or act in this thing, they will NEVER be able to create the madness of the villain Clarence Boddicker the way Kurtwood Smith did it. Oh man...all time favorite villain list Top 5 for sure.  Maybe even Top 1.

"b***hes, leave."

No sir.  This character cannot be remade, no way, no how.

I agree 100%! He was a great villian.

And AndyC is so right about the costume.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 03:35:07 PM »

I prefer the original with prejudice.  The new version reminds me too much of Judge Dredd.

I don't care who they hire to write, direct or act in this thing, they will NEVER be able to create the madness of the villain Clarence Boddicker the way Kurtwood Smith did it. Oh man...all time favorite villain list Top 5 for sure.  Maybe even Top 1.

"b***hes, leave."

No sir.  This character cannot be remade, no way, no how.

25 years ago, ROBOCOP was successful as a story because it was gritty and dirty...the production itself carried that - it LOOKS a little rough around the edges and that look set the mood in very subtle ways.  This will likely be a spit and polish CGI visual fx fest, quick camera movements and rapid cut edits, a blur of "it must have been something cool but I missed it" tethered to the 'story' via "clever" one-liners.

I won't buy that for a dollar.

100% agree.  He was a great villain.  The three things that really worked for me in the first are Peter Weller's Robocop (costume and portrayal)  ED-209, and Clarence Boddicker's chaotic bad guy.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »

Did they pick up an artist that was let go by Dredd? The new suit also looks too much like a rubbery stand-in which leads me to think that they'll be plastering robot parts onto it later. Call me crazy but I just think that the robotic look comes off much better the practical way.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Robocop remake! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.