Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:01:23 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Waxwork (1988) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Waxwork (1988)  (Read 3396 times)
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 05, 2012, 01:51:32 PM »

Recently attempted to revisit the Waxwork movies, and failed, but felt like opening a thread for them anyway.
Both are movies I wish I liked more than I actually do. There's about 20 minutes total of entertainment value in each (werewolf, vampires, Bruce Campbell) the rest just being a needlessly convoluted story leaving the audience impatiently waiting to return to the wax museum while they have to sit down and listen to plot exposition. Wouldn't it have been more fun if the plot was just simplified to having to escape the wax museum, rather than shoving in a backstory? Zach Gilligan really didn't suit the role he was given either.
But of course, I'm likely to be in the minority on this.

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 03:09:10 PM »

I remember liking the first one when it came out, but I'm not sure how it'll hold up today.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 06:46:38 PM »

when I saw the first one I was fairly young. First time exposed to S&M at all and I was totally confused. I thought "what did he dip his whip in that she likes it so much?" I thought he had coated his whip with LSD or something like that. It wasn't till much later that I understood what this scene was.  Had a serious impact on me as a kid though. Probably why I'm so warped.

I saw it again recently and much less magical than when I was a young teenage boy. Would have been better to expound on the story-lines of some of the other museum waxes (evil lion, bad baby, invisible man, etc.) rather than what they did.

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
Pilgermann

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 01:10:18 AM »

I think they're both a lot of fun, especially the second film which pretty much goes the comedy route.  I consider them both overlooked and underrated.

Torgo

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:32:36 PM »

The first film is fun late 80's cinematic cheese but I thought that the sequel was complete garbage.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 04:02:30 AM »

The first film is fun late 80's cinematic cheese but I thought that the sequel was complete garbage.

Hey, welcome back, Torgo  Cheers

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 11:04:45 AM »

I watched both "Waxwork" films within the last year or so after not seeing them for many years. The first film still holds up pretty well; the sequel not so much. "2" leans a little too hard on the "comedy" end of "horror comedy" for me.

That rap song/video that plays over the end credits of "2" is a must-see, however.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 12:23:11 PM »

I think the first movie was tons better but they're both loads of fun. 

Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 05:01:47 PM »

The first is a hilarious mishmash of horror/fantasy concepts. I personally loved the high-class rich kid having a starring role and not turning out a total a***ole.

The second kind of overdoes the first's zaniness, and the camerawork isn't as good either.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
moregore
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 03:55:07 AM »

I enjoy this film I dont remember the sequel

✌Shop my Horror, Monsters and Halloween auctions!✌

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Waxwork (1988) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.