Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:27:21 PM
714215 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  A significant error in a documentary « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A significant error in a documentary  (Read 8258 times)
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 06, 2012, 08:14:11 AM »

Yes, I admit I watch a lot of documentaries on TV.  Call my strange, but they are a source of enjoyment for me.  I like watching documentaries because they are very educational and informative.  One of my favorite Documentary series from the 90s was Movie Magic on Discovery channel.  That show detailed most of the special effects used by films and TV to create their illusions.  But this message isn't about them.

This is about one documentary I saw.  Clash of the Cavemen.  It was all about the extinction of Neanderthal man just after the arrival of Cro-Magnon man (our ancestors)

There was one blaring error in this documentary and the narrator didn't bother to explain it.  All the Cro-Magnons were clean shaven!  Back then, we were all hunter-gatherers.  We used whatever was provided by nature and razors weren't one of them.

We had knives and spearheads we made.  We made them with flint.  Unfortunately, flint cannot be sharpened to a razor point.  Flint can be made sharp enough to cut animal flesh but if we used it to try and shave the hair off our faces, we'd regret it.

Of course back then, few people cared about the appearance of people.  Full and unkempt beards were the norm for men.  Very hairy legs were the norm for women.  Dirty, matted hair was the norm for both genders.

Why did the makers of this documentary leave such a blaring error in this?

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 08:36:09 AM »

Back then, we were all hunter-gatherers.  We used whatever was provided by nature and razors weren't one of them.

I always knew you've been around a long time WW but not THAT long.  Buggedout Wink

Flint can be made sharp enough to cut animal flesh but if we used it to try and shave the hair off our faces, we'd regret it.

That is the one thing that could improve my looks.  Wink

Of course back then, few people cared about the appearance of people.  Full and unkempt beards were the norm for men.  Very hairy legs were the norm for women.  Dirty, matted hair was the norm for both genders.

And dirty underpants for us from South Africa.  TongueOut Wink
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:40:07 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 09:04:15 AM »

Everyone knows that facial hair was invented in the late 1400s.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 09:11:56 AM »

Back then, we were all hunter-gatherers.  We used whatever was provided by nature and razors weren't one of them.

I always knew you've been around a long time WW but not THAT long.  Buggedout Wink

I have only been around for 41 years not 36,000

Flint can be made sharp enough to cut animal flesh but if we used it to try and shave the hair off our faces, we'd regret it.

That is the one thing that could improve my looks.  Wink

You must be masochistic and suicidal.  Trying to shave yourself with sharpened flint would be very painful.  You would seriously injure yourself and die from the infection.

Of course back then, few people cared about the appearance of people.  Full and unkempt beards were the norm for men.  Very hairy legs were the norm for women.  Dirty, matted hair was the norm for both genders.

And dirty underpants for us from South Africa.  TongueOut Wink

Clothing as it was came only in the form of what we could get off whatever we hunted.  We couldn't gather clothing from cotton and weave it into a fabric.  That knowledge didn't come until 10,000 years ago.  Back then, we only dressed in animal furs and skins.  Leather possibly although I doubt the processes for tanning leather was around then.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 09:14:24 AM »

Everyone knows that facial hair was invented in the late 1400s.

Facial hair had been on us longer than that.  I think you mean the methods and tools used to cut, trim and shape it.

Pacman000
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 10:28:14 AM »

I think dean meant it as a joke...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 06:11:30 PM »

Actually, as someone who has collected flint artifacts for 35 years, flint and obsidian can take an edge as sharp as, if not sharper, than steel!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 10:30:24 PM »

Actually, as someone who has collected flint artifacts for 35 years, flint and obsidian can take an edge as sharp as, if not sharper, than steel!

Yes it can, and word had it that at one time, (according to a story I'd read) that the AMA (American Medical Association) was considering allowing flint scalpels to be used for surgery. Not sure if that changed or not.

Another thing people tend to forget is when you mention primitive man on the north American continent, they were the early American Indian tribes, pre-Columbian, if memory serves me right.

We always debate their possible natural presence in America by hawking on the old "land bridge' theory of the Bering Straits and saying that they came from somewhere in Asia.  I do subscribe to that theory as per the physical features of some of the tribes) but I believe that 30,000 some years is a well naturalized citizen too, lol

Another common mistake in documentaries? Navajo and Apache are NOT Indians, but Eskimos.  They are related directly to the Haida and Tlingit peoples, and speak the same strain of Athabaskan as their peers.  Oh well, that's history for you, right?
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 11:53:23 PM »

Before the advent of laser surgery, obsidian blades were used on a regular basis by eye surgeons.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 06:49:46 PM »

Of course back then, few people cared about the appearance of people.  Full and unkempt beards were the norm for men.  Very hairy legs were the norm for women.  Dirty, matted hair was the norm for both genders.

People didn't care about appearances? 
Really? 
Check this out. 

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122466430

It's an article about neanderthal jewelry and make-up for those of you who are too lazy to read it. 

ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 07:00:08 PM »

It's an article about neanderthal jewelry and make-up for those of you who are too lazy to read it. 

Thanks, because I was, in fact, too lazy to read it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »

Women with hairy legs, you say? Well I guess France had her fashion statements too... Buggedout
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 02:09:15 AM »

Wyrewizard is a significant error himself.  TongueOut Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  A significant error in a documentary « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.