Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:05:12 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Begotten - 1991 E. Elias Merhige « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Begotten - 1991 E. Elias Merhige  (Read 3707 times)
Living_Dead_Girl
Bad Movie Lover

Excuse me. You need to go back to grad school.

« on: November 11, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »

I have something to share, I am also curious to see how many off you Movies Buffs have seen this Strange and dark Independant film. "Gegotten!"

TeddyR

Enjoy -  Wink

Cheers

Small | Large

Drink

???

Done?

BounceGiggle

???Disscuss???

???

hot

Then I did not just look into the mirror, I looked through the mirror...
Couchtr26
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 01:33:04 AM »

Enjoyed it but don't really have many thoughts on it.  Enjoyed the bizarreness of it.  I guess bizarre, weird, or strange movies tend to attract me.  As do pretentious.  Still looking to purchase a copy but never have the money or the thought to purchase together at the same time. 

Nice post had forgotten it for a bit.  Thumbup

Cheers

Ah, the good old days.
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »

This is one of those movies I would always read about being completely bizarre and disturbing and years later when I watched the thing I saw that they weren't exaggerating. I appreciate the effort that went into making this but I can't really say I get any enjoyment out of it. Certainly a movie that deserves bringing up in any discussion of weird movies though.

In 2006 Merhige made a short sequel entitled "Din of Celestial Birds". It is available on youtube
Small | Large

Here's a quote from the director that encapsulates his approach

"Whatever happened to Search and Discovery in the arts of today? Artists must behave like archaeologists if the guts of visionary filmmaking can happen. They will have to return to the depths of the collective unknown to find out what we're all about. From that universal dream our most individual and forceful voices can emerge" Lookingup

Yes this guy is really this pretentious, so while he is capable of creating some striking imagery I do not buy that his work is quite as meaningful as he thinks it is. Even in the commentary for the film Suspect Zero he directed he's talking like that movie is some kind of visionary exploration of our souls. In reality Suspect Zero is a pretty conventional thriller in a lot of ways making his pretentiousness stick out like a sore thumb.

I have his other feature movie "Shadow of the Vampire" in my collection but have yet to get around to seeing it. Does anybody have any opinions on this movie?
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »

I have seen "Shadow of the Vampire." I can't say that I liked it, but it would go well on a double bill with the 1922 version of "Nosferatu." For what if Nosferatu really existed, and the 1922 film was--in part--the story of his life.
Living_Dead_Girl
Bad Movie Lover

Excuse me. You need to go back to grad school.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:32:55 AM »

This film maker is definatly one off those underground film makers who does something ligitly different not that cliche' pretentious artsy stuff that you see over and over that is predictabble and always about some, wine taster, writter, artist, actor/actress, musician, poor person or/and student find themselves or some s**t... Seriously???? It gets old. Very old. At least this dude is different like for real different not the same different as everyone else wanting to be different is doing...

- Love a concerned movie lover!

Then I did not just look into the mirror, I looked through the mirror...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Begotten - 1991 E. Elias Merhige « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.