Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:09:52 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  VETERAN'S DAY « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VETERAN'S DAY  (Read 2208 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: November 11, 2012, 09:54:43 AM »

It is November 11.  ON this day in 1918, 96 years ago, the guns in Europe fell silent after four years, three months, and one week of brutal warfare that had killed ten million military personnel and over four million civilians.  Ancient royal dynasties were toppled, the map of Europe was redrawn, the first communist nation was born, and European Christianity was dealt a blow to its credibility from which it has never recovered.  The modern world was born in the trenches of France and Belgium, and all that went before was swept away.  Much that was archaic and unnecessary was lost, and much that was precious and valuable was destroyed or irrevocably damaged. The survivors of this conflict called themselves "the Lost Generation," and their literature contains some of the most bitter, powerful, and angry prose and poetry ever written.  The anniversary of the war ended was originally called "Armistice Day," but that was eventually changed to "Veteran's Day" after World War II.  Remember those who serve today, and pray that the dark days of 1914-1918 are never repeated.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 09:16:15 AM »

This is a day that humble those who think deeply about it.
We civilians have had it easy for along time. Our current generation has been under educated on the subject.
Our children have been spoiled by the ease and safety provided by the warriors who gave all for their country.
At a site I used to go to, I noticed this day was ignored by the regulars. i was the only one who ever mentioned it, in fact. They like to mention the 'fun' holidays...but not this one, or Memorial day.
  I came to realize they had no connection to serious thought, so i had to let them go. Thank you Andrew, for being a serious man.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 02:27:49 PM »

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 05:03:27 AM »

I think of Dad and others who fought for freedom: as a matter of interest, November 11 was also the day that my country of birth declared independence from Great Britain in 1965.

They shall grow not old
As we who are left grow old
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Lest we forget.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  VETERAN'S DAY « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.