Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:33:03 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  So, a question of sorts « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: So, a question of sorts  (Read 8964 times)
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 03:23:21 PM »

I think the day after Thanksgiving is soon enough. Especially since I've been seeing Christmas stuff on the shelves since early October. It's like they want to skip right from Halloween to Christmas....Thanksgiving has lost it's meaning. It's just eating and football now....so many folks have no gratitude any more. Question
Some places seem like they want to skip right over Halloween.

There's no excuse for any place that has Christmas decorations an isle away from the Halloween costumes. 
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 04:12:14 PM »

I think the day after Thanksgiving is soon enough. Especially since I've been seeing Christmas stuff on the shelves since early October. It's like they want to skip right from Halloween to Christmas....Thanksgiving has lost it's meaning. It's just eating and football now....so many folks have no gratitude any more. Question
Some places seem like they want to skip right over Halloween.

Sure they do. Halloween and Thanksgiving are pretty much a single day each, with a few purchases beforehand. Christmas they've managed to stretch out to a sixth of the year, with multiple celebrations and obligations. You have to get your cards in the mail, put up your lights before the snow flies, and get started on the list of everybody you're obliged to buy something for. You might have to make at least one special day-long shopping trip, requiring more gas and dining out for at least one meal. Then there are parades, church functions, school celebrations, office parties, dinners with various branches of your family, last-minute stocking up on snacks, beverages, etc., Christmas Eve parties, Christmas Day feasting, and then at least a week of bargain shopping. And then there are the banks and credit companies that likely make a good deal in credit card interest for at least a couple more months after that.

From a business point of view, there is only one holiday that really matters, and they are going to push it at us as early as they can, and try to stretch it out as long as possible at the other end. Of course, earlier is better, because once Christmas and New Year's have passed, we can stop any time we feel like it. Start it early, and we still have the big day to look forward to. We can't cut the celebration short.

And it seems waiting to start is not so easy either. We put our tree up last weekend, and started with the Christmas movies and music and books. I was pretty adamant that we wait until the end of the month, but once everyone starts dangling Christmas in front of a seven-year-old girl, there is not much you can say that will convince her it isn't appropriate to start right now. After much pestering, I gave in on the tree. Naturally, once there is a crack in the armour, it doesn't take much more to smash right through it.

The thing is, I don't want to dampen my daughter's enthusiasm for Christmas. I want to keep the Christmas season short because I like it. However, with it lasting 2+ months, I'm looking forward to getting things back to normal before we've even made it to Christmas Day. I like Christmas, and I would rather be sorry to see it end than relieved. I would rather not get enough Christmas, so I can enjoy every bit, than get so much of it that I just want it over and done with.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »

And it seems waiting to start is not so easy either. We put our tree up last weekend, and started with the Christmas movies and music and books. I was pretty adamant that we wait until the end of the month, but once everyone starts dangling Christmas in front of a seven-year-old girl, there is not much you can say that will convince her it isn't appropriate to start right now. After much pestering, I gave in on the tree. Naturally, once there is a crack in the armour, it doesn't take much more to smash right through it.
In my family, it's always been tradition that the tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving (at the earliest.) 

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »

In my family, it's always been tradition that the tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving (at the earliest.) 

My family used to have a real tree every year, which generally didn't last much more than a couple of weeks. Gave my parents a perfect justification for waiting until a week or two before Christmas to put the tree up.

Rather than deal with the extra cost, mess and work of a real tree every year, we got a nice pre-lit artificial tree a few years ago, right after Christmas, when it was half price. Looks realistic, without the headaches of a real tree. The one disadvantage is that it can stay up indefinitely.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ChaosTheory
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »

That's what I usually do too; I take down the Halloween/Thanksgiving decorations & put up the Xmas things - I don't do a big tree, I have a couple small plastic ones.  It does feel a little early for it but I'm not much of a Black Friday shopper, so it gives me something to do. Have to work off all that turkey & pie.  Smile

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »

So, tonight ABC Family is advertising a "Countdown to 25 Days Of Christmas" holiday premiere of a new film:
Home Alone 5: Holiday Heist

I shudder at that.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 04:55:35 PM »

When even the local library starts putting up its annual Christmas tree, which it has been doing for as long as I can remember, and starts putting it up before Thanksgiving, let us play tribute to those who wait till the Friday after Thanksgiving, which is soon enough for me, before beginning the Christmas season.

RadioDisney
Which had the decency to wait to start playing Christmas songs till the Friday after Thanksgiving.

The city in which I live
Which always starts off the Christmas season with a big parade and a tree lighting ceremony in downtown the Friday after Christmas.

ABC Family
Which does not start its 25 Days to Christmas till December 1.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  So, a question of sorts « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.