Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:33:47 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Really, really depressed « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Really, really depressed  (Read 11574 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 17, 2012, 09:42:41 PM »

Mostly over financial issues and not having a decent enough job to deal with them. I feel like an incredible weight is crushing me. All I feel like doing is sleeping, and I can't even do that. Clinical depression is a b***h, but compounded ten times worse when you have something to be depressed about.

How do you all cope?

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 09:50:07 PM »

I wonder myself, sometimes...............

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »

I'm on antidepressants.  Smile

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 10:40:50 PM »

This sounds trite, but I do have faith in God that sustains me.
I also have a pretty cool, eclectic online family to rant to.
And, when I get really down, I go hit the river and look for arrowheads and shark's teeth.  I don't always find things, but it is very therapeutic.  And, for the last several months, I've managed to lose myself in my writing as well.

Channel your energies into constructive paths.  It helps.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
akiratubo

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 10:43:55 PM »

I am on antidepressants.  They have made a huge difference in my life, for the better. 

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 11:03:06 PM »

I was never really able to find a decent enough job, so I'm now on SSDI.

I got a lot of help from Emotions Anonymous. I had to train myself to stop thinking negative thoughts. Still hard at times.

One thing that's always helped, is stories about great people when they were not so great. For example, Harlan Sanders tried & failed numerous times in his life & was well into his 60s before KFC finally made it. And Edgar Rice Burroughs Tried & failed at everything under the sun, until sometime in his 40s, he went crazy & started talking to himself, then started writing down these conversations, which eventually became great novels like Tarzan & John Carter of Mars.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 07:46:32 AM »

I'm on anti-anxiety med's, which I guess are the same thing as anti-depressants.  I know what you mean about just wanting to sleep all the time though.  As far as money, when we were young we maxed out all our credit cards (as is the custom) and ended up moving out of our nice apartment and into the basement of a friend's house (for one-third the rent) until we got everything paid off.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 12:51:42 PM »

I have a great wife and a close family.  I went through a very tough period about 10 years ago.  I had taken a new job and one of my first assignments was extremely stressful.  I had trouble sleeping and ended up in the hospital one day with incredible pains in my stomach.  Things got better for awhile, but a few years later I went through another stressful period, lost a lot of sleep, and started stressing out every Sunday afternoon thinking about going to work on Monday morning.  I ended up quitting that job and going to another company for about 8 months.  I didn't like my new job, so in 2005 I went back to the company that had stressed me out so much.  For some reason, I have felt very little stress since returning to that job.  I think I caused most of the stress myself by setting unrealistic expectations and deadlines for myself.  My philosophy now is that there is only so much work I can do in a day.  If I don't finish it today, I'll finish it tomorrow.  The world will keep turning.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 01:58:24 PM »

Depression is the worst. Me, I'm supposed to be on meds, but can't afford it.

So, I can't deal. The maybe $40 or so I have after being paid buys enough alcohol to numb myself.

I don't recommend that though.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »

I have a cat and two fish.  I have to feed them. 

I'm not being glib; that really is my only motivation to move some days.  I don't know if meds would help me or not and I cannot begin to afford them (I'm a freelance writer which is kind of a prettied-up way of saying "unemployed" and the job market in my town is mostly crap if you don't have a nursing degree).  To be honest, it does help somewhat coming here; it makes for a nice support group.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 03:00:17 PM »

From my personal experience: Medication when it's really bad, talking to someone who will just listen and not make suggestions or judge you, going for walks, meditation/deep breathing (one session won't do it, but each one relieves a little stress), reminding myself of what I've got going for me (everyone's got something going for them; heck, you're brave enough to admit that you have depression, and you've got a circle of online friends who care and understand).

Hang in there; you can get through this. Depression doesn't last forever, and neither do circumstances.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 02:14:05 PM »

I'm in a nowhere job meant for a starter job that pays 25 cents above minimum wage,gives no benefits and could end at any time because there are way too many other convenience stores in our little town. I work right at full time but the pay,after bills,simply is not enough. I stay stressed,pretty depressed and feel trapped. So many people,mostly with much better paying jobs,tell me how lucky I am to have a job at all. Oddly enough that doesn't help. To deal with this I pray and lean on a wonderful husband,both of which are all that keeps me from running out into traffic at times. Unfortunately,Alan's back and legs are getting in too bad a shape to hold a job....if he could find one.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 02:18:05 PM »

I've never been clinically depressed, but when the poo has hit the fan in my life I found that just keeping going.  Get out, do stuff, even if its the LAST damn thing you want to do.  Its basically a  "fake it til you make it" approach, and it has worked for me.  Do not turn inward, tahst very important.

If religion is for you, definitely seek your spiritual cousel, and Indy;s idea of getting out ain teh fresh air and doing something interesting is a good one. 

You do have people, even if they are in a green box online.

Good luck.

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 02:44:13 PM »

Like Indy, and my wonderful wife, my faith in Christ sustains me, not just in thinking about the world to come, but in simple things I can appreciate, like getting a friendly lick on the hand from someone's dog when I come out to their car, or lying in bed in the morning, laughingly sharing a weird dream with Trace.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 07:37:39 PM »

I have not dealt with chronic depression, but have family and friends who do.  Depression is something that will wear you down over time, and it can cloud your thinking.  There are good things in your life, but the depression makes it hard to remember or appreciate them.  Finance is something that everybody worries about, I feel you there.

For stress relief I use either exercise (mostly) or one of my hobbies (such as the reviews).

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Really, really depressed « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.