Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:59:39 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  what % of your DVD collection is gathering dust? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: what % of your DVD collection is gathering dust?  (Read 16081 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: November 20, 2012, 08:04:01 PM »

I moved house recently and decided I needed to slim down my DVD collection due to space restrictions in new place. Going through all my DVDs I was actually surprised how many there were that I'd only watched once and really had no intention of ever watching again (half of which I'd forgotten I even owned), and also how many were films that I actually don't like, and was racking my brain to remember how or why I even ended up with them in my possession.

It was no problem at all to sell off at least 50% (maybe closer to 60%) of my collection with no regrets at all. But, the weird thing is when it came to downsizing my CD collection (which is about 3 times as large as my DVD one) I only managed to get rid of about 10% of them, and even some of those I had to convince myself I didn't need them.

So the question is-  how much of your current DVD collection could you lose with no real qualms?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:07:03 PM by zombie #1 » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:57:49 PM »

So the question is-  how much of your current DVD collection could you lose with no real qualms?

All of it.

I try not to be married to my possessions, especially those that are not "tools" of some kind. 

A DVD won't help me hunt for food or build a shelter.  At best it's barter material, but not really worth much as that.  DVD's are luxury items, and as such, they are not needed or won't be missed if gone.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:59:51 PM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:05:17 PM »

All of it.

I try not to be married to my possessions, especially those that are not "tools" of some kind. 

A DVD won't help me hunt for food or build a shelter.  At best it's barter material, but not really worth much as that.  DVD's are luxury items, and as such, they are not needed or won't be missed if gone.
good answer. I aspire to this kind of thinking, but I'm just too attatched to my creature comforts it seems...

-  technically you could build a shelter out of dvd cases  TeddyR

Pacman000
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:49:33 PM »

Most of my movies are on VHS...
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 12:24:56 AM »

I'd say around 70% of the dvd's I have just sit here. I did at one point have a larger collection, with some unopened, that I sold at the local used CD/DVD/Video Game Outlet.

I have watched most of these alot. Past year or so I've grown disinterested in them to a degree.

I want to change that.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 12:49:37 AM »

I could live without everything except my LOTR Extended Edition Box Set.

And, of course, SUCKER PUNCH!!!  TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 01:31:43 AM »

I pretty much have a little mini-section of movies I only own because they're rare, not because I ever want to watch them again (Terrorvision, Jaws of Satan, Aberration).

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 08:19:40 AM »

I could pretty much lose all of mine except the DVDs I've received as gifts, some precious VHS tapes like Baffled and To Heal A Nation and the box set of the chilling BBC series The Omega Factor which still makes me go  Buggedout Buggedout after nearly thirty years.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 08:25:06 AM »

I just did a search of Baffled and it seems it will be coming to DVD soon.  CheersBuggedout Buggedout My parents let me watch it because Leonard Nimoy was in it.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 09:07:17 AM »

I don't think I've got too many DVD's that I'd just get rid of, maybe 10% or so.  I like having a big collection because no matter how weird of a mood I'm in, there's usually something in there to fit it.   A movie might be the last thing in the world I'd want to watch tonight, but some night 4 months from now it might be just the perfect one.

But of course I've got some junk that must have looked good in the trailer and then turned out to be horrible.  Oddly enough I'm kind of drawn to those - on rare occasions.  Surely there must be some redeeming quality in that thing?  Well probably not but I'll give it another try anyway  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 09:41:45 AM »

But of course I've got some junk that must have looked good in the trailer and then turned out to be horrible.
Hate it when this happens! Probably why you can get DVDs full of Grindhouse trailers for films that don't even exist on DVD, they know only the trailer is worth watching

Just remembered that in my clean out I somehow had not one but 2 different horror films about the Loch Ness Monster, neither of which was set in Scotland lol

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 11:40:20 AM »

-  technically you could build a shelter out of dvd cases  TeddyR

If the collection is big enough.  These days, mine is so small as to maybe cover my lower legs.   Wink TeddyR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
ChaosTheory

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 11:48:32 AM »

Roughly 50%, I'd say.  I rarely buy anything new; I go for the "3 for $20" type sales at my local rental place (yeah, there are still a few in existence) and I'll usually watch them a couple times then resell them.  There's a few I own just to own and watch maybe once a year (like the Bourne movies, LOTR, Band of Brothers) but I wouldn't get rid of. 

The most "essential" ones are probably my MST3K and Newsradio collections   
 - and 300  Wink

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 01:13:12 PM »

Interesting question. Alan has our DVDs divided up into "his" and "mine". Of mine,I could probably lose a third and never really miss them. You know....you're glad when you first get them then some just sit there after one or two viewings.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »

I only buy DVDs when they're super cheap, so my collection is probably pretty piddly compared to most of y'all. Last I checked, I owned around 100 DVDs, tops... and of that 100, I could probably lose about half without feeling like I'm missing anything.

Most movies are a "one spin and done" thing for me. I generally prefer to watch movies I've never seen before rather than watching the same ones over and over again, so every time the wife and I have a garage sale (which is every other year or so) I can easily bid farewell to 20 or 30 DVDs at a time, easy. We're probably due for another purging this coming year, now that I think about it. 

I do make exceptions for certain favorites, though. For example, I want my 20th anniversary 2-DVD edition of "RoboCop" (in the totally cool metal case) and my "Star Crash" DVD buried with me when I die.  TeddyR

Now, music CDs, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. I'm a total mental case/borderline hoarder when it comes to my music. You can have my CDs when you pry'em from my cold dead fingers.  Twirling
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 01:36:48 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  what % of your DVD collection is gathering dust? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.