Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:57:45 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  what % of your DVD collection is gathering dust? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: what % of your DVD collection is gathering dust?  (Read 16069 times)
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 04:58:01 PM »

I have thought about this recently as I have well over 500 movies on dvd at this point not including mill creek sets and blu ray. Fortunately I bought the majority of them recently at extreme low prices. I have gotten deals of craigslist where I got 40 plus top quality dvd's for 1$ each and I frequent game center where dvds are 5$ and buy one get the next half off so the price is incredibly low on average. Obviously I don't rewatch all of my dvd's and there are probably 100 plus that I haven't even seen yet.

I agree with Jack that although I might not feel like watching a title now that does not mean I will not feel like watching it months from now. The only thing's I instantly remove from my collections are bad comedies. Movies like Hangover 2 and Lets go to Prison I threw right in the garbage after watching them without even trying to sell them. Bad horror movies bring them on, bad action also good, but bad comedy has no place in my collection. Thankfully I have a good sense of what I will enjoy and nearly always get some enjoyment out of my blind buys (which are the majority).
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 08:13:22 AM »

Now, music CDs, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. I'm a total mental case/borderline hoarder when it comes to my music. You can have my CDs when you pry'em from my cold dead fingers.  Twirling

lol yeah I know what you mean... one factor I noticed is this: would I keep hold of a poor/mediocre CD that had a couple of great tracks? Yes. would I keep hold of a poor/mediocre movie that had a couple of great scenes? probably not... Hence it being more difficult to discard albums

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 11:32:16 PM »

All of them. I invested in a couple of Popcorn Hour A-110a, built a server and bought some ripping software. Life is good.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 06:18:32 AM »

I invested in a couple of Popcorn Hour A-110a, built a server and bought some ripping software. Life is good.
no idea what any of that means but fair enough, whatever makes you happy!  TeddyR

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
dean

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 07:38:52 AM »

Probably most of them, but then again I am a nutter for movies so its not a big deal.

I do need to go through and get rid of ones I know I don't need though and make room for more potential acquisitions.

I'd be interested in hearing about Burgo's collection though.  Last count I remember him mentioning was quite a lot of DVDs.  Maybe he is suffering under the weight of their enormity.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 08:42:09 AM »

I have over 1,100 movies.  About 1/3 of them are on VHS and 2/3 on DVD.  I have so many that I very rarely buy them anymore (maybe 3 or 4 a year, if that). Yes, most of them are collecting dust at any given moment, but nearly all of them are movies that I love and feel are worth watching more than once, and I like having so many to choose from whenever I am able to watch one.  If I were to go through them, I would probably end up getting rid of fewer than 25, so it wouldn't be worth the effort.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 11:35:19 AM »

I have well over 3,000 titles.  If I watched one per day, it would take me at least 9 or 10 years to watch them all.  So, I'd say most of them are gathering dust.  Not because I don't like them . . . I just don't have time to watch them all.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pacman000
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 06:16:02 PM »

I haven't watched most of the movies I own...

I need to work on that.  Wink
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 01:27:24 AM »

I invested in a couple of Popcorn Hour A-110a, built a server and bought some ripping software. Life is good.
no idea what any of that means but fair enough, whatever makes you happy!  TeddyR

Popcorn Hour = a device you connect to your entertainment system and your network. It allows one to stream video files from the server and watch them on your TV. I turn on my TV and I get a menu showing different folders containing movies, and I just browse to whichever I want, or I simply hit 'shuffle' and it picks for me. Multiple Popcorn Hours means all my movies are available at any TV I have. 

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 01:36:57 AM »

Popcorn Hour = a device you connect to your entertainment system and your network. It allows one to stream video files from the server and watch them on your TV. I turn on my TV and I get a menu showing different folders containing movies, and I just browse to whichever I want, or I simply hit 'shuffle' and it picks for me. Multiple Popcorn Hours means all my movies are available at any TV I have. 

Welcome back, Brother G: been a while.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 02:52:10 AM »

98%, but not entirely by choice. I'm in my last year of university, and since I'm an out-of-town student, I had to prioritize what I could bring with me so we wouldn't have to do two trips to move me out here. Absolute favorite movies came with me, and the rest are sitting at my parents' place. Thankfully, Netflix Canada is starting to suck less (I finally got to watch "They Live!" on it!)
major jay

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 06:32:42 AM »

I probably own around 300 dvds, and a bunch of old VHS tapes. They're mostly cult, exploitation, and cheesy bad stuff, and for the most part, I stay away from mainstream stuff that I can catch on TV from time to time.
I enjoy most of them, but there are some that I took a chance on and didn't care for. But hey, that's part of the fun of collecting. I also like DVRing obscure stuff that TCM and THIS TV show every now and then. Lester mentioned in another thread that THE TWONKY is on TCM this weekend. That's a definite watch and dvr recording for me.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:14:22 AM by major jay » Logged

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 08:13:42 AM »

98%, I don't have time to watch movies much any more with kids around.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 02:09:40 PM »

Of mine, especially if I count duplicate titles in compilations, I'd have to say at least 50%. Most of the movies I really want I haven't been able to find, or couldn't find at a price I would willingly pay ($75.00 for THE BLACK SCORPION-PLEASE!)

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 05:26:17 PM »

Of mine, especially if I count duplicate titles in compilations, I'd have to say at least 50%. Most of the movies I really want I haven't been able to find, or couldn't find at a price I would willingly pay ($75.00 for THE BLACK SCORPION-PLEASE!)

I have THE BLACK SCORPION.  I didn't pay anywhere near $75 for it and YOU CAN'T HAVE IT.  HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!!   TeddyR

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  what % of your DVD collection is gathering dust? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.