Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:00:44 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Red Dawn (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Red Dawn (2012)  (Read 6348 times)
Damien Valley
Dedicated Viewer

« on: November 26, 2012, 12:57:06 PM »

Did anyone see this?

Here is my review for it. Lets just say this.... :-/

http://www.coolmovieguy.com/2012/11/movie-review-red-dawn-2012.html

I also did a smaller review of the original.

http://www.coolmovieguy.com/2012/11/mini-movie-review-red-dawn-1984.html
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 07:21:28 PM »

I get a "not found" error message on both of those links.  Question

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Damien Valley
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 12:59:37 PM »

My bad.  My site got screwed up a few days ago.  Here are the real links.

Red Dawn (2012)
http://www.coolmovieguy.com/2012/11/movie-review-red-dawn-2012_28.html

Red Dawn (1984) Mini Review(less than 300 words)
http://www.coolmovieguy.com/2012/11/mini-movie-review-red-dawn-1984_28.html
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »

I haven't seen the remake, but I hear that there was allegedly a need to "re-do" the movie to make the Koreans the bad guys and not the Chinese (there again, look who we owe money to...)

Anyhow, the original film (for me anyway) will always be the better one, fo rno such need for politically correct content existed as it does today.

Also, director John Milius created a bleak, cold and very uncertain world where the Wolverines were never safe, and every waking moment could be their last, and they were always on the run in a world where nowhere was safe.

Looking back, I think that Milius created an alternate version of the war against the Soviets that was going on in Afghanistan at the time.  To that end, he wanted to show Americans what we could have been facing if the situation was ripe enough, and that we could be in the place of the Afghan people if the circumstances were right.

I think he got it right.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:32:27 PM »

I haven't seen the remake, but I hear that there was allegedly a need to "re-do" the movie to make the Koreans the bad guys and not the Chinese (there again, look who we owe money to...)

Yep, when the movie was shot back in 2009 the bad guys were Chinese. Seems the Chinese government made a stink about that and since China nowadays represents a fairly large chunk of international box office, the studio digitally altered the villains' vehicles, uniforms, etc. so that they would be North Korean instead.

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:53:34 AM »

Yep, when the movie was shot back in 2009 the bad guys were Chinese. Seems the Chinese government made a stink about that and since China nowadays represents a fairly large chunk of international box office, the studio digitally altered the villains' vehicles, uniforms, etc. so that they would be North Korean instead.

North Korean, Chinese, all the same to me...just a bunch of Asian communists with Russian rifles.  (sorry to offend some here but that's the truth.) 

China interfered in the Korean War in the 50's and sent their troops to reinforce the ROK, so while the movie may need PC alteration for todays' climate, historically the Chinese are guilty by association.  End of story.

BTW-Anyone ever seen this recent movie called "Tomorrow, When The War Began"? It's a weak Red Dawn ripoff that you should avoid with all haste.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »

North Korean, Chinese, all the same to me...just a bunch of Asian communists with Russian rifles.  (sorry to offend some here but that's the truth.) 

North Korea seems to be the only country that everyone "hates" nowadays so I guess it's "safer" for Hollywood to use them as bad guys.

...on the other hand, making that change was a pretty big wimp out. If the studio'd had any faith in the film in the first place, they would've said "Screw the Chinese and their box office" and left the movie as it was. 

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 05:11:08 PM »

North Korea seems to be the only country that everyone "hates" nowadays so I guess it's "safer" for Hollywood to use them as bad guys.

...on the other hand, making that change was a pretty big wimp out. If the studio'd had any faith in the film in the first place, they would've said "Screw the Chinese and their box office" and left the movie as it was. 

Yeah, w\regard to wimp outs, I can't wait to see what they stir up over the new movie "Zero Dark Thirty" about the Bin Laden raid.  We've been hearing a lotof the usual stuff from the usual suspects, so this should be good...

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Red Dawn (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.