Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:54:25 PM
714363 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  One Marvel film I am thoroughly disgusted with. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: One Marvel film I am thoroughly disgusted with.  (Read 11220 times)
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 06:12:04 PM »

I actually liked Nick Fury.

Then you might like this.

Nick Fury (voiced by Chi McBride) will be a continuing character in the animated TV series "Ultimate Spider Man" on Disney XD in 2013.

Nick Fury (played by Samuel L. Jackson) will appear in the theatrical film "Captain America: the Winter Soldier" in 2014.

Nick Fury (played by Samuel L. Jackson) will appear in the theatrical film "Avengers 2" in 2015.

And Nick Fury (played by Samuel L. Jackson) will get his own theatrical film "Nick Fury." No release date given.

And then there was Joss Whedon's "S.H.I.E.L.D." for ABC in 2013. Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury is not scheduled to appear in it yet, but I can't imagine he won't make at least one guest appearance.
I'm not a fan of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.   It always came across as a pathetic grab for attention when the comics did it and I can't see the character as anything but Samuel L. Jackson walking around being Samuel L. Jackson. 
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 06:22:36 AM »

I still thought it was better than the first F4 movie.

I did too, although neither was what I'd call good.

Yeah, that's true, but then again that's also why I'm not vehemently against the supposedly upcoming reboot.  With the right folks involved, they could easily do the material some justice.

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 11:07:17 PM »

I sort of agree with you.  There are some changes while I didn't like, I at least understood.

From what I know about FF#48 (the original Galactus story line) both the Watcher and the Ultimate Nullifier are  really more plot elements then real characters. Remember, what works in one media doesn't always work in another. An all seeing alien showing up to tell the Fanataic Four about a dues-ex-machina all powerful weapon  might not have been doable in the movie. (Yes, I know they've done it in the cartoons).  In the years since, both the Watcher and the Nulifier have been explored,  (although the wiki page about it still seems somewhat vague to me) but to they probably wanted the action to focus on the Fanatic Four and the Surfur (who was supposed to get his own spin-off movie)

Another change they made, is one that is propably a misconception a lot of people have. The movie states that the Surfer's power comes from his board. This is incorrect. When I saw it in the movie, I went "WRONG!" The Surfer is bestowed with the power Cosmic from Galactus and the board is an extension of the Surfur's power-not the other way around. He's able to form one at will. There's a mini-series where the Surfer states the reason he creates a board is so his view of the universe isn't hampered as he travels through it.

As for Galactus. Some comics have stated that Galactus' appearance actually differs from planet to planet. Earthings may see him as a large humanoid, while another might see him as a large lizard, or a squid-like god of destruction (as in the Beat Ray Bill mini series). They also talk about him as being more of a force of nature-which is what I think they were going for...but I still didn't like seeing him turned into a cotton candy cloud with a molten carmel core. Heck, I might have actually preferred the fleet of living ship that he is in the Ultimate Marvel Universe. At least that would have been a more concrete concept.

There had to have been some sort of middle ground between the classic Galctus and the more alien eneity they wanted to portray him as.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
ChaosTheory

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 12:10:17 PM »

I'm not a fan of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.   It always came across as a pathetic grab for attention when the comics did it and I can't see the character as anything but Samuel L. Jackson walking around being Samuel L. Jackson. 

Heh, yeah.  I don't care about the character's race one way or the other, but I kept thinking about those Sam Jackson Beer sketches on CHAPPELLE'S SHOW whenever he was on screen.  Maybe Chappelle should've played Nick Fury.  TongueOut

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 02:15:20 PM »

I don't really mind Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, but I can understand why fans might. He's not really the sort of actor who can become anyone. The characters he plays become Samuel L. Jackson.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but if the character itself is important to you, it might not please you to see Jackson's on-screen persona take it over completely.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:29:03 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »

I don't really mind Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, but I can understand why fans might not. He's not really the sort of actor who can become anyone. The characters he plays become Samuel L. Jackson.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but if the character itself is important to you, it might not please you to see Jackson's on-screen persona take it over completely.
Little bit of info for the Non-comic fans. 

When Nick Fury first appeared in 1963, he was a white guy with brown hair. 

He'd eventually pick up some white streaks in his hair and an eyepatch, but he stayed a white guy with brown hair. 

In the Ultimates universe (it's an alternate reality) Nick Fury was first shown as a white guy with either dark brown or black hair.  He first appeared in 2001. 

Then suddenly out of nowhere a year later, they completed changed his personality, made him into a bald black guy with some very visible scars around his eye patch, and had him blatantly say that if they ever made a movie about him they should cast Samuel L. Jackson.  (At this point Samuel L. Jackson had no knowledge of this.)  No explanation was ever given for the change and he's been pimped out as being essentially Samuel L. Jackson ever since. 

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 07:31:09 PM »

I don't really mind Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, but I can understand why fans might not. He's not really the sort of actor who can become anyone. The characters he plays become Samuel L. Jackson.

Little bit of info for the Non-comic fans. 

When Nick Fury first appeared in 1963, he was a white guy with brown hair. 

He'd eventually pick up some white streaks in his hair and an eyepatch, but he stayed a white guy with brown hair. 

In the Ultimates universe (it's an alternate reality) Nick Fury was first shown as a white guy with either dark brown or black hair.  He first appeared in 2001. 

Then suddenly out of nowhere a year later, they completed changed his personality, made him into a bald black guy with some very visible scars around his eye patch, and had him blatantly say that if they ever made a movie about him they should cast Samuel L. Jackson.  (At this point Samuel L. Jackson had no knowledge of this.)  No explanation was ever given for the change and he's been pimped out as being essentially Samuel L. Jackson ever since. 

They modeled the Ultimate Nick Fury from Sam. Jackson, that's why he played as Nick Fury in The Avengers.

yeah no.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 10:13:05 PM »

Wasn't there a Dr. Strange film in the '70s that was poorly received?

I've only seen clips, but not sure if it was a film or tv show.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 01:09:20 AM »

They modeled the Ultimate Nick Fury from Sam. Jackson, that's why he played as Nick Fury in The Avengers.
Yes.  I relize that.  My point is they completley changed an already existing character into a copy of Samuel L. Jackson for no other reason than to say "Hey!  This guys is just like Samuel L. Jackson!" 

Imagine if all of a sudden they made a James Bond movie that starred Mr. T as James Bond and completely ignored the fact that he's British, suave, sophisticated, a ladies man and subtle in favor of Mr. T just acting like he normally acts while everybody else still calls him James Bond. 

That's my beef with it.  They writer didn't care about the character at all, they just wanted to attach a celebrity name to it. 
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 08:23:37 AM »

There's another upcoming film I am NOT looking forward to.  The 4th Transformers film by Michael Bay.  This film is slated for a summer 2014 release.  I am hearing rumors that Unicron will be in it.  I sure hope that is not true because I feel very strongly Unicron wll receive the same negligence as Galactus did.  Be talked about in the film but be very poorly represented on screen.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 09:28:33 AM »

Wasn't there a Dr. Strange film in the '70s that was poorly received?

I've only seen clips, but not sure if it was a film or tv show.

"Doctor Strange" was a TV movie (1978). Wikipedia sez it was intended as a possible series pilot, but the network didn't pick it up.

Useless trivia, the 1992 Charles Band flick "Doctor Mordrid" w/Jeffrey Combs was originally envisioned as a Doctor Strange movie, but Band's option w/Marvel to use the Strange character expired before he could begin production... so he just changed the character's name and tweaked the script to make an original story out of it.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  One Marvel film I am thoroughly disgusted with. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.