Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:10:53 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Best non-CGI movie effects « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Best non-CGI movie effects  (Read 13057 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 12:02:13 PM »

what's that famous scene from a very early (50s?) movie with an fx of an ocean parting. it's a long religious/history based film. seen a documentary about the director...can't remember names now..

The scene is Moses parting the Red Sea in The Ten Commandments (1956) directed by Cecil B. DeMille and starring Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, Anne Baxter, Edward G. Robinson and John Derek.

Yes Newt, thanks  Thumbup

Small | Large

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 02:00:26 PM »

I'm gonna' throw one in here for Toho Studios and nominate the 1960 non-Godzilla film "The Human Vapor" with veteran Toho titan Yoshio Tsuchiya.

In this film, Tsuchiya plays a man who, after undergoing a radical new treatment for cancer, finds himself capable of turning into a vaporous mist at will.

The FX were very good and it proved that Toho was more than able to create non-Big G science fiction and make it look just as entertaining. See this one if you can.  Thumbup
ChaosTheory

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 02:10:55 PM »

Classic transformation from American Werewolf in London
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9QPouW-XZ4

Ohh, good call.

the stop motion from Jason and the Argonauts was good.

Skeletons!  Everywhere skeletons!!!   TeddyR  Another Harryhausen effect I like a lot was the Medusa in CLASH OF THE TITANS.  Maybe not the most realistic thing ever, but it sure scared me.

A lot of the old German/East European surrealist movies had cool effects:  NOSFERATU, CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI, VAMPYR.  Lots of layering, matte painting and tilted angles. 

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Living_Dead_Girl
Bad Movie Lover

Excuse me. You need to go back to grad school.

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 04:57:14 AM »

Cannibal Holocaust was well known for being too convincing in their attempts for making it look like a real documentury gone wrong, or a Snuff film. The scene where the girl inpailed Anally and left on the shore off the river, looks too real to be fake. It is like Eli Roth said "Who I going to agree to have a pole shoved up their butt and have it come out off their mouth and just be there naked..."

He explained how. Unfortunatly all youtube clips show his movies so they may be too violent for this site... So I will just explain below.

Ruggero Deodato did end up having to tell the italian courts his secret to that imfamous inpailing scene. Half the pole was a stick with a bike seat on the top, the other half was balsa wood spray painted. to match the other half. And he stuck the stick with the bike seat on it in the ground she sat on the seat and had the balsa wood half in her mouth. The fake blood and guts hid the seat.

Then I did not just look into the mirror, I looked through the mirror...
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 09:33:10 PM »

Cannibal Holocaust was well known for being too convincing in their attempts for making it look like a real documentury gone wrong, or a Snuff film. The scene where the girl inpailed Anally and left on the shore off the river, looks too real to be fake. It is like Eli Roth said "Who I going to agree to have a pole shoved up their butt and have it come out off their mouth and just be there naked..."

He explained how. Unfortunatly all youtube clips show his movies so they may be too violent for this site... So I will just explain below.

Ruggero Deodato did end up having to tell the italian courts his secret to that imfamous inpailing scene. Half the pole was a stick with a bike seat on the top, the other half was balsa wood spray painted. to match the other half. And he stuck the stick with the bike seat on it in the ground she sat on the seat and had the balsa wood half in her mouth. The fake blood and guts hid the seat.

Now THAT'S an insidious effect! This guy must have learned from Tom Savini, LOL

Another director under fire was Lucio Fulci, for a scene in a movie (forgot the title) where there were two dogs laying on a floor with their stomachs cut open.  The FX man took the props to court to prove they were fake and not real dogs. Before that, Fulci and crew were looking at a lawsuit for animal cruelty, if I recall right.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 09:37:29 PM »

Gonna' throw another one in here. 

"Night Of The Zombies", aka "Hell Of The Living Dead" (yeah the one by Vincent Dawn with all the rippped off DOTD soundtrack)

There was a scene in the film where the commandoes were killing zombies in a small village, and there was a zombie who got his head blown all to hell against a blackboard by one of the SWAT guys.  That was one squib that went off right!
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 02:16:53 PM »

Just for sheer spectacle, this one....

Small | Large

Wonderful stop-motion by Willis O'Brien....

Small | Large

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Jim H

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 02:09:49 PM »

The creature costumes in Pan's Labyrinth.  Some of them have mild CG assists, but they're mostly real.

Darkness in Legend.

The Gillman costume from Creature From the Black Lagoon.  Seriously, it STILL looks good, and how many 50s sci-fi monsters can say that?

Outside of makeup/costume effects, I believe most of the Star Wars ship effects still look great.  Audrey from Little Shop of Horrors is terrific, as is the queen alien from Aliens. 

Oh, and all the cartoon interactions in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is the stuff film magic is made of. 
Pacman000
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 12:14:10 AM »

If we include Who Framed Roger Rabbit, we must also include Song of the South.

Song of the South made me think of another movie, didn't Gone with the Wind have some good FX?
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Best non-CGI movie effects « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.