Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:46:18 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Turkish Delight « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Turkish Delight  (Read 6392 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: December 13, 2012, 08:21:56 PM »

Anyone ever had this? It's good. It's very basic. It tastes kind of like a marshmallow crossed with a dot. like jelly ish but tastes like a marshmallow and it's covered in powdered sugar.
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 01:45:54 PM »

yep. I like it once in a while. maybe have it once a year

it's the rosewater ingredient that gives it its distinctive taste afaik...

the 'real' handmade stuff is the best. you can get a processed, chocolate covered version here too which is alright but not as good:

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »

I've had Turkish Taffy in the past, but not Turkish Delight.. BounceGiggle
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 02:13:27 PM »

I thin of it as a proto-Gummy Bear.  These are American,fruit based versions which are much more palatable than the rosewater originals.

http://www.libertyorchards.com/category/Aplets_and_Cotlets

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 03:17:26 PM »

I first learned of Turkish Delight from The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe.. not the original book but this awful animated version from 1979.
Small | Large

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 04:28:25 PM »

I first learned of Turkish Delight from The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe.. not the original book but this awful animated version from 1979.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnM-eO5txfk

That's where I first heard of it,too. Never lucked out and found any though.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 05:19:04 PM »

Actually, a Narnia reference on Young Ones was the first I'd heard of it.

re: rosewater. the Indian restaurant down the street has these amazing things which are like donut holes in a sea of hot rose water syrup.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 01:09:59 PM »

Slightly off the topic, but these sort of remind me of the orange and lemon jelly squares w\powdered sugar that I had when I was in Monroeville, PA back in 1993 for the 25th Anniversary of Night of The Living Dead. It's been almost 20 years and I never forgot the great taste of those things! We got them in a candy store that was in the Monroeville Mall, aka the "Zombie Mall" from the original Dawn of The Dead.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 04:05:40 PM »

I wonder if that mall is still there.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnM-eO5txfk

That's where I first heard of it too. I've only really had "real" turkish delight in the past year or so. Picked it up for a family movie night of The Chronicles of Narnia. One of the specialty candy brands at the supermarket. Looked handmade. I didn't care much for it, although I can't say for sure it was good turkish delight either.

A version I do like is a candy bar version with a chocolate coating that's been around for as long as I can remember. The centre is the consistency of a gumdrop, maybe a bit denser. Probably not very authentic, but I enjoy one every now and then. First tried it as a kid, after watching that animated movie.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 02:34:07 PM »

Its one of those childhood food I like to know exists, but don't wantto actually EAT! I have a vivid memory of being in my great Aunt's East London apartment in a bad neighborhood (Bethnel Green inthe 1980's) and there was a big box of chocolates. My cousin Nick picked out all the turkish Delights. I was amazed no one in my immediate family liked the stuff.

All my automatic ads on the webpages are for applets and cotlets now!  Hatred
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:36:48 PM by Ed, Ego and Superego » Logged

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 09:13:56 PM »

I wonder if that mall is still there.

Monroeville maill in Monreoville, PA? Yep it's still there last I heard. However when I went the skating rink wasn't there, instead it became a big food court, which is where I got the candies from. It was weird walking thru the "Zombie Mall" too.  Cool thing was I remember all the spots from the movie and that made it even cooler.
dean

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 03:06:14 AM »

Those ones covered in chocolate aren't authentic, though some are tasty.  Proper Turkish Delight is delicious and just melts in your mouth. [Am a fan, and luckily have a few restaurants within walking distance that have the 'good stuff'.]

Nom nom nom nom.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 09:13:46 AM »

I rather enjoy many treats in the general category of 'jellies', so I was almost shocked to find I actively dislike Turkish Delight.   Bluesad  Oh well: more for the rest of you!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 10:45:05 AM »

I rather enjoy many treats in the general category of 'jellies', so I was almost shocked to find I actively dislike Turkish Delight.   Bluesad  Oh well: more for the rest of you!

Same here. The actual Turkish Delight we tried was not a hit at our house, although gumdrops, wine gums and especially ju jubes are favourites. And I really like a Big Turk bar every now and then.

By the way, I've been wondering if the "joob joob" pronunciation of ju jube is a Canadian thing, something more widespread or just common in the area where I grew up. I know I hear it pronounced "joojoo bee" on American TV shows, which makes sense when you look at the spelling, but where I come from, we always called them "joob joobs."

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Turkish Delight « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.