Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:05:10 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  V/H/S (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: V/H/S (2012)  (Read 2837 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: December 11, 2012, 02:39:07 AM »

So, V/H/S is a anthology horror film with the central conceit being that all of the stories are "found footage" films, meaning first-person camcorder footage.

The trailer made me interested in watching this.

Also, looking at the people involved made me sort of excited to see it. Ti West, the guys behind The Signal.

Sadly, it doesn't really work. I was almost ready to pan it, but the last segment was pretty fun and exhilarating. The other shorts vary quite a lot in quality.

First warning sign, the movie does not even believe it's own central idea. The idea is that these guys find a pile of VHS tapes with horrible stories on them. However, almost every story involves video shot on digital (with digital glitches to boot). Why would anybody transfer digital film to VHS?

Alright, none of this is really meant to be taken seriously. Every segment is all about audience reaction and jump scares. However, and I hope anybody who ever plans to make a horror movie reads and understands this, do not populate your film with douchebags. Spending time with douchebags in real life is awful, and they are not better in film. Sure they get murdered with alacrity in horror films, but that doesn't give me back the time I had to spend with them. Maybe write a film with actual characters I care about. That way when they die it's like a mean-spirited sucker punch to the gut. That works. It's the reason Stephen King stood supreme in the horror genre for two decades.

It's not a completely awful film. It is kind of fun. The last segment, directed by something called Radio Silence, has a ball with the SFX, which are featured prominently in the trailer. I'm actually most disappointed with the Ti West segment, because he's a director I like. Absolutely nothing happens, except for a brief interlude with a well-worn urban legend. I watched his commentary, and the movie he thinks he made is just not there on screen.

Well, not really as bad as I make it out to be, especially for an anthology film. How can you boo a movie that features a segment titled "The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger"?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 06:40:50 AM »

I read online last week that there will be a limited number of VHS tapes (in big boxes, yet) made available once this goes out on home video.  TeddyR

www.totalfilm.com/news/horror-anthology-v-h-s-getting-a-limited-edition-vhs-release

Nice.  TeddyR
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 06:44:09 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pacman000
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 09:27:04 AM »

First warning sign, the movie does not even believe it's own central idea. The idea is that these guys find a pile of VHS tapes with horrible stories on them. However, almost every story involves video shot on digital (with digital glitches to boot). Why would anybody transfer digital film to VHS?

Actually, there are digital VHS's:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-VHS
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 04:47:18 AM »

From what I've seen it looks like this movie's idea had tons of cool potential, but was executed badly.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:14:15 AM »

I was disappointed with this one for the reasons you name: the connecting story did not work well, and the characters were all jerks.  I did rather like the first segment - where the guy with the video camera in his glasses goes out with his friend to pick up girls at a bar - but I forget what it was called.  The vignettes would have worked better with a better connecting story, and above all if the guys in the film had been remotely likable.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
66Crush
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »

I hated it all. Ever since BLAIR WITCH and PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, we have been hit with a ton of inferior films using the same formula. This is a convoluted mess with no real story development or satisfying resolution. I wish I had my money back from seeing this piece of crap.
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 06:46:23 PM »

I'm not the biggest fan of the found footage genre but I did actually like V/H/S and give it *** out of ****. It's got it's problems but the filmmakers largely succeeded on what they were trying to do and I thought that the found footage angle actually worked wonderfully for the most part. I'm looking forward to "The ABC's of Death" as it's being done by the people that were largely responsible for V/H/S and includes a ton of additional worldwide filmmakers.   

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 09:14:21 PM »

It was too herky-jerky and disconnected for me, and every single character was pretty much a jerk.  It definitely had some great moments, but there was just no one to sympathize with in the whole film.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Cult Movie Mania
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 05:25:44 PM »

Good information/opinions about V/H/S.  We did a horror/cult movie event in 2012 in Tampa, Florida called the Cult Movie Mania Screaming Cinema Series.  Thinking about doing another one for 2013, but I'm not sure if V/H/S quite makes the cut; I'm trying to find sure-thing cult crowd-pleasers.  Saw the trailer here on this forum for Cronenberg's "Cosmopolis", that's worth considering.

Your weird wide web HQ for the BEST Cult and Horror Movie coverage!
www.cultmoviemania.com
www.filthythemovie.com
dean

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 04:34:58 AM »

Good information/opinions about V/H/S.  We did a horror/cult movie event in 2012 in Tampa, Florida called the Cult Movie Mania Screaming Cinema Series.  Thinking about doing another one for 2013, but I'm not sure if V/H/S quite makes the cut; I'm trying to find sure-thing cult crowd-pleasers.  Saw the trailer here on this forum for Cronenberg's "Cosmopolis", that's worth considering.

Based on horror cult status I'd say V/H/S, as when it did the rounds here at one of the major film festivals people were talking about it whereas nobody really batted an eyelid about Cosmopolis.  That being said, Cosmopolis does look like the better film.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Cult Movie Mania
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 11:03:43 AM »

I've read some good reviews of V/H/S and it was highly-anticipated, but the comments that it didn't quite live up to expectations stuck with me.

Your weird wide web HQ for the BEST Cult and Horror Movie coverage!
www.cultmoviemania.com
www.filthythemovie.com
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  V/H/S (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.