Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:23:03 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  2013 Oscar Nominations « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: 2013 Oscar Nominations  (Read 21406 times)
snowman
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 09:06:05 PM »

Haven't seen any of the movies nominated for the big awards so I can't really comment to much. I will make a couple of comments, the first regarding ARGO which I'm sure is a very good movie, but it got a very poor write-up here in Canada because it did such a poor job of explaining the part on how Canadian diplomats rescued the six U.S. diplomats from the Iranians. Having said that, the film is about how the six were moved out of the country by the CIA; a point I keep on making to my fellow Canadians.

The second is why the hell SKYFALL wasn't nominated for a major award? Not only because of the 50th anniversary of the Bond movies, but I found it to be not only the best of the Bond movies, but a slam-bang movie in its own right. Something not right there.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 03:05:35 AM »

Searching For Sugarman won a BAFTA over the weekend so it looks like it is on its' way to winning the naked golden man.  Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 06:38:39 AM »

Ive only seen 2 of the films mentioned-LINCOLN ( which I thought was excellent) and FLIGHT (ditto!)Denzel Washington-actor and Tommy Lee Jones-Best Supporting actor.
I thought FLIGHT should have been nominated for Best Picture. GREAT movie about taking responsibility for your actions-and in insightful look into how substance abuse can control your life...something I can personally identify with.
LINCOLN was masterful...in many ways-it showed what many think of as an icon-almost God-like-as a human being. And Tommy Lee Jones has never been better-except as Gary Gilmore-THAT was chilling!
Except wha happen to da vampires?  Wink

They should have a Worst Movie catagory...BATTLESHIP-agh!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 11:58:30 PM »

Final Score

Django Unchained-2
Brave-1
Paperman-1
Life of Pi-4
Anna Karenina-1
Les Miserables-3
Curfew-1
Inocente-1
Searching for Sugar Man-1
Amour-1
Zero Dark Thirty-1
Skyfall-2
Argo-3
Lincoln-2
Silver Linings Playbook-1

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 12:23:54 AM »

Final Score

Django Unchained-2
Brave-1
Paperman-1
Life of Pi-4
Anna Karenina-1
Les Miserables-3
Curfew-1
Inocente-1
Amour-1
Zero Dark Thirty-1
Skyfall-2
Argo-3
Lincoln-2

Tell you right now, I was hoping that Life of Pi would win the Best Picture.

yeah no.
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 01:04:53 AM »

Ok so pretty predictable choices down the line, now while I enjoyed Argo quite a bit I think hype won over quality this time (what a surprise). Gone Baby Gone was a superior film and that was Affleck's debut for gosh sake. I loved Tarantino and Waltz winning for Django as the film exceeded my great expectations and far surpassed their previous wins for Inglorious. I felt The Master deserved more than just nominations as I feel it is the kind of film that people will be discussing years down the line unlike Argo. Glad the academy didn't fall into the undeserved hype of ZDT. A part of me felt that Amour might pick up additional wins other than foreign, but it was still nice to see Haneke up on stage receiving a statue.

As for the broadcast itself, I thought Seth was generally ok doing the predictable lame jokes that the Academy would accept. Too many musical numbers overall. Adele sounded rather weak and was not able to sing as she does in the studio. Thought the Les Mis cast sounded terrific in their number with Crowe sounding very much out of place. Overall despite an undeserved best picture winner (Amour,  The Master, Django, Silver Linings, Killer Joe, Moonrise Kingdom, Compliance are all superior films than Argo) it was just fine.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 06:53:51 PM »

Final Score

Django Unchained-2
Brave-1
Paperman-1
Life of Pi-4
Anna Karenina-1
Les Miserables-3
Curfew-1
Inocente-1
Amour-1
Zero Dark Thirty-1
Skyfall-2
Argo-3
Lincoln-2

I didn't see the broadcast, as I no longer have a TV, but I still find the results interesting. 15 films honored. No film winning more than 4 Oscars. I don't think I've seen the results so wide open for some time.

There's a surprise in every broadcast. This ceremony the biggest surprise seems to be that "Brave" came out on top over "Wreck-It-Ralph." Though, they are both from the same company, as is "Paperman." Disney/Pixar. Myself not displeased with the result, having seen and enjoyed both films. And nice to see that the film critic for the local free weekly got it wrong, as he just absolutely hated "Brave," and would much have rather seen any animated film but "Brave" win.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 07:50:08 PM »

Final Score

Django Unchained-2
Brave-1
Paperman-1
Life of Pi-4
Anna Karenina-1
Les Miserables-3
Curfew-1
Inocente-1
Amour-1
Zero Dark Thirty-1
Skyfall-2
Argo-3
Lincoln-2

I didn't see the broadcast, as I no longer have a TV, but I still find the results interesting. 15 films honored. No film winning more than 4 Oscars. I don't think I've seen the results so wide open for some time.

There's a surprise in every broadcast. This ceremony the biggest surprise seems to be that "Brave" came out on top over "Wreck-It-Ralph." Though, they are both from the same company, as is "Paperman." Disney/Pixar. Myself not displeased with the result, having seen and enjoyed both films. And nice to see that the film critic for the local free weekly got it wrong, as he just absolutely hated "Brave," and would much have rather seen any animated film but "Brave" win.

Brave wasn't that good though, it was too predictable.

yeah no.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 08:39:07 PM »

Predictable or not? And I agree it was somewhat predictable, all that matters--or nearly all that matters--in Hollywood is that golden Oscar. And "Brave" took it, over what may have been better films, but it did take it, and the others didn't.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 01:11:22 PM »

I would've preferred it go to PARANORMAN, but I knew that wasn't likely....

And surprise surprise, Deakins loses AGAIN.  Suck a dick, Academy members.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 04:43:22 PM »

Before this year I didn't even know there could be tie in the Oscars.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 01:22:12 AM »

What is his non-win tally now, 10? Wow: such a brilliant cinematographer.  Thumbdown Not good, Academy Mumbers.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »

It's extremely rare, but yeah, it can happen.  It's happened before with the doc & short categories, and in  1968 Barbara Streisand and Katherine Hepburn tied for Best Actress.

What is his non-win tally now, 10? Wow: such a brilliant cinematographer.  Thumbdown Not good, Academy Mumbers.

Yep, 10 according to imdb.  Every year I know it's going to happen and every year I still get infuriated.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2013, 04:46:46 PM »

And the first tie was in 1932 for the Oscar for Best Actor between Fredric March in "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and Wallace Beery in "The Champ." As I heard, it was not really a tie as they each got a different number of votes, but the rules were at that time, if one came within a certain number of votes of each other, which they did, it was considered a tie.

On the other hand, the tie, the rules being changed, between Katherine Hepburn and Barbra Streisand in 1969 was a true tie. Both actresses receiving the same number of votes for the Oscar for Best Actress.
dean

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »

Saw Silver Linings Playbook the other day as part of my quest to watch all the academy nominated films.  Thus far I've seen Zero Dark Thirty, Django Unchained, Argo and that.  Out of the list I preferred Jessica Chastain for best actress.  As good and lovely as Jennifer Lawrence is, it just seems like the popular choice rather than the right choice [the same could be said about alot of the other winners really].

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  2013 Oscar Nominations « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.