Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:18:52 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Real Life Death Star Proposal Rejected by White House « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Real Life Death Star Proposal Rejected by White House  (Read 5177 times)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« on: January 12, 2013, 11:28:52 AM »

yup...

http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/2013/01/12/real-life-death-star-proposal-fantastically-rejected-by-the-white-house/

That would've been incredibly awesome but it's way too expensive to make.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 12:07:37 PM »

(Sigh)
I knew I was going to feel insulted. Lookingup
The Bamster really will do anything to avoid talking about the economy.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 05:32:31 PM »

(Sigh)

We get it, you're a Republican!!!!

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 11:16:21 PM »

(Sigh)

Debting the US even more, for something of your teen/ 20 year old hood, only to be rejected.....seems legit.

yeah no.
LilCerberus

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 12:14:03 PM »

Debting the US even more, for something of your teen/ 20 year old hood, only to be rejected.....seems legit.

That a president would feel the need to address this, and that any journalist would find it newsworthy is just plain depressing.

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
LilCerberus

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 03:53:43 PM »

The headlines about the proposed Death Star had me thinking Obama was getting rid of some Reagan era anti-missile defense system we truly didn't need anymore.
But to read that a movie prop really was proposed, & Obama had to formally dismiss the idea was really insulting.

The story has been presented in a way that implies (we) the American people really are "THAT" stupid, and Obama really is that much smarter than us.

But for me, it came across as Obama standing before the nation & announcing, "Hey look, Ma! I had a chance to do something stupid, and "DID'NT" for a change! I deserve a cookie!"

disgrace

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 04:00:29 PM »

LilCerb: When the White House set up the petition site they made a policy promise stating that they would respond to any petition that got X number of votes. I don't think the fact that the American people proposed and organized a campaign to nominate a joke petition reflects on Obama one way or another. I thought the administration handled it as well as they could given the situation.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 08:42:55 PM »

Lilceb- you want to know what the world would see in this? The world would see that the United States is insecure, why else would they debt themselves into an ever-growing hole for something that really was a scare tactic?

yeah no.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 10:03:59 AM »

LilCerb: When the White House set up the petition site they made a policy promise stating that they would respond to any petition that got X number of votes. I don't think the fact that the American people proposed and organized a campaign to nominate a joke petition reflects on Obama one way or another. I thought the administration handled it as well as they could given the situation.

Fair enough.  So then, was the article written in a manner than slammed the stupidity of the proposal (and those that proposed it), or was it simply praising the administration for stopping that stupidity? 

How much taxpayer money was spent addressing the proposal and writing the "official" rejection in properly worded bureaucrat-ese?

The whole episode kinda shows the flaw of Obama's "any petition" policy....30,000 signees is NOTHING ( about 0.01% of the US population) to get via the Internet.  Yeah, that policy gives the illusion of an open administration, but in practice just lead to even more government waste.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 10:31:02 AM »

Fair enough.  So then, was the article written in a manner than slammed the stupidity of the proposal (and those that proposed it), or was it simply praising the administration for stopping that stupidity? 

How much taxpayer money was spent addressing the proposal and writing the "official" rejection in properly worded bureaucrat-ese?

The whole episode kinda shows the flaw of Obama's "any petition" policy....30,000 signees is NOTHING ( about 0.01% of the US population) to get via the Internet.  Yeah, that policy gives the illusion of an open administration, but in practice just lead to even more government waste.

Most articles were pure fluff pieces that took neither position. They treated it with the seriousness it deserved.

Yeah, it uses taxpayer money, but it's a drop in the bucket: hosting fees for the website and a few staffers. If you were looking for places to cut government waste you're not going to save millions by eliminating the petition office. And we need to find cuts that save billions, anyway.

But it is a flawed, and not just because people propose silly initiatives (there was another one suggesting Obama be impeached). The main problem I see is that it seems to perpetuate the common misconception that the President is a lawmaker. If people really wanted things done they should petition Congress. To a large extent, the program gives people a false sense of empowerment, the suggestion that they can participate directly in the governing process if their petition is approved. That just isn't so, the President doesn't have the power to do most of the things people are asking for, like "declare the Westboro Church a hate group."

The plus side is it gets people involved in politics, starts debates, and makes it easy to see what the hot button issues are. Given how relatively cheap the program is I think the positives slightly outweigh the negatives, but I wouldn't shed any tears if it went away.

One of the interesting serious ones that managed to get a high number of votes was "Require free access over the Internet to scientific journal articles arising from taxpayer-funded research." I'll be curious to see how they respond to that one.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Real Life Death Star Proposal Rejected by White House « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.