Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:56:16 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Warriors (1979) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Warriors (1979)  (Read 11546 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 31, 2013, 11:55:25 PM »

I might call this the first, true 80s movie despite the niggling little fact that it was released in 1979.  It has the bright colors, loose plot, absurdly fast pace, and cartoonish feel to it that most people associate with movies like Commando, The Goonies, Indiana Jones, and the like.  Indeed, the positioning of this movie's release and the appearance of a few names like Frank Marshall in the credits indicate that The Warriors probably was the jumping-off point for that kind of movie.  However, The Warriors still has enough of that 70s harshness in it to keep it from being just a mindless romp.

The plot is paper-thin so this won't take much time.  The Warriors of the title are a small but extremely tough New York gang operating out of Coney Island.  They, and representatives of a few hundred other gangs, have been invited to the Bronx by Cyrus, leader of the most powerful gang in New York, the Riffs.  Cyrus wants all gangs to unite under his leadership and outright rule the entire city by force.  He seems to be swaying the crowd to his way of thinking when he is gunned down from behind by a weasely little twerp named Luther, leader of the Rogues.  One of the Warriors is the only witness to the shooting and Luther, stupid but cunning little bastard he is, is quick to lay the blame on the Warriors.  The Warriors' leader, Cleon, is quickly caught but the rest escape.  From then on, the movie is nothing but a series of chase and fight scenes as the Warriors try to get back to Coney Island, fighting their way through the cops and every other gang in the city.

This movie features a few familiar faces.  A startlingly young James Remar appears as Ajax, the Warriors' best fighter.  Unfortunately, he's not got the brains to match his brawn.  Mercedes Ruehl makes a cameo appearance.  David Patrick Kelly, who has been in a lot of movies but will forever be known as Sully from Commando, plays Luther.  And, of course, The Warriors was a star-making turn for Michael Beck.  Watching the movie, you can understand why.  You can also understand how his star sank just as fast as it rose.  All he really does here is stand around and look cool but, oh my, he does it so very well.  There are also plenty of other "Hey, it's that guy!" faces in the crowd.

By all accounts, The Warriors is an extremely satisfying watch.  Aside from some top-notch brawls, it has to its credit a few moments of true power.  Witness the scene in which the Warriors stand proud against the judgmental gaze of a quartet of preppy kids.  Given what they've been through on their way home, no one has the right to judge them.  If you haven't seen this one, give it a chance.  It has enough grit to please fans of 70s action and is goofy enough for fans of 80s cheese.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
dean

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:11:54 AM »

The directors cut is pretty annoying with the comic book scenes added, but I love this movie to death.  The soundtrack is especially fun, with a DJ giving people advice on where the Warriors are/what the score is and playing music to suit.

Rockstar made a PS2 game based on this movie which is actually a ton of fun, and delves into the different gangs alot more which was quite refreshing and one of the better video games based on a movies that I've played.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 01:14:05 AM »

Loved the movie.  I'm surprised it hasn't been remade.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 08:36:12 PM »

I remember seeing it first at the drive-in on a double feature with UP IN SMOKE, and then a few months later at an indoor theater on the same double feature!  It got a lot of publicity as being a very violent movie, so I was a bit disappointed when I saw how tame it was.  Despite the often crappy acting and the cartoonish gangs (most of which don't seem to be very tough), I still enjoy it and own the DVD.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 02:18:20 AM »

I remember seeing it first at the drive-in on a double feature with UP IN SMOKE, and then a few months later at an indoor theater on the same double feature!  It got a lot of publicity as being a very violent movie, so I was a bit disappointed when I saw how tame it was.  Despite the often crappy acting and the cartoonish gangs (most of which don't seem to be very tough), I still enjoy it and own the DVD.

it was the 70s, before steriods and gyms everywhere.  There wasn't 200 pound people, let alone that being the norm.  Toughness in that area was totally measured by how much someone could take as opposed to now where it all comes down to size.

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:13:11 PM »

My dad took me to see it sometime when it first came out around 1979. It was the old Washington Theatre in Washington, NJ. It was late spring heading towards summer, I was around 15, and it was really hot that year...even hotter were the reports that there had been some gang violence as a result of the multiple gangs seeing the move in the same theatre, and some attacks and a few deaths had been reported.   Aside from that, it was a very good movie and a fun look back at a time when things were really good overall, and with the 80's on the verge of arrival, the fun was only just beginning  Cheers
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 11:46:23 PM »

The Italian knock off is awesome too.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 12:26:01 AM »

This one sounds fun, and I love watching older fare like this with familiar faces early in their careers.

Off to the queue....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 01:23:16 AM »

I agree but don't encourage someone in Hollywood to remake a classic!  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
dean

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 02:00:02 AM »

I think Tony Scott was looking into a remake for a while [I heard this around the time Domino got a release].  For obvious reasons I think its not going ahead any more but may come to life again later.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 10:11:20 AM »

I agree but don't encourage someone in Hollywood to remake a classic!  Buggedout

Thats just it.  They remake everything why should we expect a good movie to not be remake.  There was no reason to remake total recall and yet they did.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 08:57:58 PM »

This one sounds fun, and I love watching older fare like this with familiar faces early in their careers.

Off to the queue....
You've never seen THE WARRIORS

Small | Large

Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 11:16:30 AM »

The fight with the Baseball Furies was fun. I like when Ajax (James Remar) tells his buddy that he's "tired of running from these fu**in' wimps" and turns around and basically lives up to his name as he cleans like a white tornado. That guy was a real badass. He go his later on though when he was caught.
Bushma

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »

The fight with the Baseball Furies was fun. I like when Ajax (James Remar) tells his buddy that he's "tired of running from these fu**in' wimps" and turns around and basically lives up to his name as he cleans like a white tornado. That guy was a real badass. He go his later on though when he was caught.

I think that is my favorite part of this movie!

"I'll shove that bat up your @ss and turn you into a popsicle!"

Small | Large

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 06:25:39 PM »

It may be a bit cartoonish in some ways but it's an awesome film, one I find very re-watchable.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Warriors (1979) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.