Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:03:05 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Extremely stupid animated film that takes extreme artistic liberties « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Extremely stupid animated film that takes extreme artistic liberties  (Read 3089 times)
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« on: February 02, 2013, 10:52:47 PM »

Any of you familiar with the poem Date's Inferno?  Well I just watched on Netflix and animated interpretation of it and a very poor one at that.  The original poem tells of Dante's journey through the nine circles of Hell to reunite with his beloved Beatrice.  But the film shows his journey through Hell to SAVE Beatrice from Satan!!!  Talk about artistic license.

The film shows Dante as a knight in the Crusades.  But the poem didn't tell what Dante's occupation is, as far as I remember it.

Another thing, the film shows Dante fighting the demons of Hell and some shades.  Even relieving the suffering of certain shades like his mother.  But the poem didn't show Dante fighting anyone.  He doesn't have a sword or scythe with him and he doesn't wrestle demons.  He just tours Hell with Virgil's guidance.

It really seemed the makers of this film took artistic license to appeal to as many people as possible.  Well it failed to appeal to me.  It doesn't go on my top ten list of the worst films ever made.  But if any of you really want to risk venturing to see this film, all I can say is this:  Forget the original poem if you know it and Good luck in finding any enjoyment in it.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:08:23 AM »

Do some fact checking here. 

The cartoon Dante's Inferno (not Date's) is actually based on a videogame which was loosely inspired by the poem.  The poem itself is public domain, and the author is long dead, so there's nobody left to get bent out of shape about it not being accurate. 

Well it failed to appeal to me.
Does anything ever appeal to you? 
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:40:41 PM »

Small | Large

Correct in that the animated film is based on the video game and not the actual poem. (Funny enough, the film takes several liberties with its source material-at this point it was almost a re-imagining of a re-imagining.)  It was a game a lot of people wrote off because they thought it to be just a God of War clone-which I admit it totally is. But it was a good GOW clone. Much better then GOW 3 which was I played about the same time. Dante's Inferno had much better art direction and a protagonist I could actually sympathize with, as apposed to Kratos, whom at that point  I had lost any sympathy I might have once had for the character.

The film in question I thought was in poor quality.  I'm not a big fan of anime to begin with, but if Iwas this would not be a film I would use to introduce people to it. There where segments that just ugly, poorly done, and even a few scenes where the animation was reused (leading to some odd lip syncing moments).  I know the idea was that it was several different directors doing different segments-but this lead to some wildly different looks that was jarring, and in some cases kind of funny. Like when Dante is in one moment an almost fully armor clad knight and in the next is a bear skin wearing, long haired barbarian.

And yes, I have read the original poem, long before I ever played the game or saw the animated film.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »

The cartoon Dante's Inferno (not Date's) is actually based on a videogame which was loosely inspired by the poem.  The poem itself is public domain, and the author is long dead, so there's nobody left to get bent out of shape about it not being accurate. 

Well it failed to appeal to me.

Well done sir.   Cheers

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 12:29:16 PM »

Yes things appeal to me.  You apparently never read my post about Rosemary's Baby.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 07:19:47 PM »

Nice fact checking, dunderhead.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:42:23 PM »

Does any movie still closely to the work like rubber cement? If so, just how boring is it?

yeah no.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Extremely stupid animated film that takes extreme artistic liberties « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.