Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:37:05 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Good directors, bad movies (or bad directors, good movies) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Good directors, bad movies (or bad directors, good movies)  (Read 4860 times)
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« on: February 17, 2013, 04:41:01 PM »

On occasion a good director makes a bad movie.  On occasion a bad director makes a good movie.

Some examples:
John Huston, who won Oscars for his classic movies like TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, directed a piece of s**t called PHOBIA (1980).  You would never know a great director was behind that movie.
Peter Bogdanovich directed classics like TARGETS, THE LAST PICTURE SHOW and PAPER MOON, then bombed with the musical turkey AT LONG LAST, LOVE.

Surely there are examples of the flip side where a bad director made a good movie, but I can't think of one right now.  Maybe you can help me.

Any other examples, people?

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:47:55 PM »

John Boorman made ZARDOZ and EXORCIST II in-between DELIVERANCE and EXCALIBUR. What a wild swing in quality!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ChaosTheory

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 04:56:07 PM »

Good director, bad movie:

John Carpenter, GHOSTS OF MARS
Rob Reiner, NORTH
Alfred Hitchcock, UNDER CAPRICORN
David Lynch, DUNE

Bad director, good movie:

Paul W.S. Anderson, EVENT HORIZON
Roland Emmerich, STARGATE
Steven Daldry, BILLY ELLIOT
Joel Schumacher, 8MM, THE LOST BOYS
John Singleton, BOYZ N THE HOOD

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 08:06:39 PM »

In which category could we put Kevin Smith? He's not a great director, but he's had good films: Clerks, Chasing Amy, DOGMA.

He isn't terrible, but did a couple clunkers too: Jersey Girl, Mallrats, that Bruce Willis cop movie that wasn't Die Hard.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
voltron

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:57:37 PM »

I'm not familiar with Argento's post-Tenebre output - I've heard he's got a few stinkers there, but I really did not like his Cat O' Nine Tails film. Definately sub par for him. Also, I wouldn't call Fulci a "bad" director, but Don't Torture A Duckling was a brilliant effort and blows away his more popular films which I think are a tad overrated IMHO.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 02:11:20 PM »

I'm not familiar with Argento's post-Tenebre output - I've heard he's got a few stinkers there, but I really did not like his Cat O' Nine Tails film.
Cat O Nine Tails is far from Argento's worst movie. Look for his 1998 version of Phantom of the Opera to see how low he would go. In fact most of the italian horror directors would start to produce lower quality stuff into the later 80's and early 90's.

I'm a big fan of most of David Cronenburg's stuff but his last film Cosmopolis was probably the worst movie I saw last year. I couldn't get through 10 minutes of A Dangerous Method either.

Tarantino made the unbearable Death Proof, thankfully he is back in top form with Django Unchained.

Now as for the bad directors...

Uwe Boll's Rampage, Stoic and Heart of America range from good to great.

Paul WS Anderson made the best video game movie of all time Mortal Kombat.

Kevin Smith has a lone interesting film on his filmography "Red State"

Joel Schumacher is dare I say it a bit underrated. Aside from the two previously mentioned films 8mm and the Lost boys he also has: Phone Booth (excellent pacing and direction in this thriller), Falling Down (Thoroughly ridiculous and yet undeniably entertaining), and Flatliner's. 

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 02:26:28 PM »

If we discount Argento's post Terror At The Opera work, which is mostly horrible, then I would single out Four Flies On Grey Velvet as being uncharacteristically poor considering the quality of the rest of his 70s stuff.

also I liked Cat 'O Nine Tails quite a lot...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 10:13:27 AM »

Bad director, GREAT movie:  Michael Cimino - THE DEERHUNTER

Good director, bad movie: Stuart Rosenberg - LET'S GET HARRY and THE AMITYVILLE HORROR

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 02:23:15 PM »

Interesting question.

Can a "bad" director make a "good" movie? Yes. Probably. If one makes enough movies, then one should strike paydirt at least once. The problem I have is how do I define "bad." There are alot of directors I "dislike," but that is more because I think they are "overrated" than "bad." But . . .

M. Night Shyamalan
"Sixth Sense"

It is probably not totally fair to call his newest films "bad," and not in a "good" way, but I do think it is fair to say that there has been a decline in the quality of his movies since his "best" movie.

As for a "good" director making a really "bad" movie, that is probably harder for me to list. Not the "good," but the "bad."

John Ford
"Gideon of Scotland Yard"

He made alot of what we can call "mediocre" films in his career, but this is the only film of his that I have seen that others called "poor." Based on the character created by John Creasy, I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on the quality of it.

Sam Fuller
"Shock Corridor"

If you had most people in 1963, what was his "worst" film, most people would have said this. Almost everyone hated it. Audiences. Critics. But after some time had passed, and it was re-evaluated, it was decided that it was not so much "bad," but ahead of its time. A film that most audiences and critics, at that time it was released,  just could not understand.

Alfred Hitchcock
"Marnie"

For along time, it was thought that this was the "worst" movie that Hitchcock had ever made, but again after some time had passed and a re-evaluation, it was decided it was not so "bad" after all. I have seen it, and I agree. It may not be the "best" film he ever made, but I can't see that it is that "bad" neither.

George Pal
"Doc Savage: Man of Bronze"

The only film of his that he produced and/or directed that I have seen and disliked, but that does not mean I can call it a "bad" film. It has its moments. I thought he was the director on this, but he was only the producer. The director was . . .

Michael Anderson

Maybe not a "great" director like the others, but a journeyman who normally turned out a workable product. I can say that, looking at his output, he did have one "bad" movie in his career.

"Orca"

One of the few films that I have ever seen that was almost unwatchable.

Ken Russell
"Whore"

A controversial director whose every film seems to render a split decidison whether it is "good" or "bad," but the concensus among those who watch his films is this is the "worst" film he ever made.

Martin Scorsese
"The Aviator"

Again, the only film of his that I have ever disliked, but not so much "bad," as even Scorsese can not make a character--here Howard Hughes--a character I find dislikable likable.

Again, an interesting question, for which I doubt I have a "good" answer.
voltron

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »

Ken Russell
"Whore"
A controversial director whose every film seems to render a split decidison whether it is "good" or "bad," but the concensus among those who watch his films is this is the "worst" film he ever made.
I like Whore a lot. Didn't know it wasn't as well liked as his other films. Shame it hasn't gotten a dvd release yet.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
ChaosTheory

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »

I'm not familiar with Argento's post-Tenebre output - I've heard he's got a few stinkers there, but I really did not like his Cat O' Nine Tails film.
Cat O Nine Tails is far from Argento's worst movie. Look for his 1998 version of Phantom of the Opera to see how low he would go. In fact most of the italian horror directors would start to produce lower quality stuff into the later 80's and early 90's.

I'm a big fan of most of David Cronenburg's stuff but his last film Cosmopolis was probably the worst movie I saw last year. I couldn't get through 10 minutes of A Dangerous Method either.

Yeah, I would say of the ones I've seen, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is Argento's worst -- although I love PHENOMENA so I might not be the best judge there.

I like Cronenberg a lot too but SPIDER was the one I couldn't stand/get through. (Haven't attempted to see COSMOPOLIS.)

John McTiernan - I'm not sure whether he'd be listed under "good" or "bad" but he directed both the awesome DIE HARD and the horrendous ROLLERBALL remake.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 09:10:02 AM »

William Beaudine,who made such stinkers as THE APEMAN (1943),THE FEATHERED SERPENT (1948),BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA (1952),BILLY THE KID VS DRACULA and JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER (both 1966), made the near classic quasi-horror film SPARROWS (1926) with Mary Pickford! Heck,film historian William K. Everson even included it in his book Classics of the Horror Film!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 05:16:33 PM »

Francis Ford Coppola directed Jack.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 01:33:49 AM »

Ridley Scott made that opulent ordure of a film, "Prometheus."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 03:13:28 AM »

My friend and mentor Jans Rautenbach (his birthday is today) also made one of these stinkers in addition to making classic South African films like JANNIE TOTSIENS, KATRINA and DIE KANDIDAAT: he made the horror known as NO ONE CRIES FOREVER.  Buggedout Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Good directors, bad movies (or bad directors, good movies) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.