Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:48:19 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951)  (Read 3041 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: February 23, 2013, 09:45:22 AM »

I absolutely LOVE this movie, and have since first seeing it as a kid.  It's frightening and interesting.

I introduced it last night to my children, and my son LOVED it.  He was mesmerized throughout the entire running time.  When it was over, he asked me, "Do you know of any more movies like that one?"

Didn't think it had it's own thread here and thought it certainly deserves one.

I loved how visual this movie is...how much "plot" is told visually rather than with exposition.

Solid 5 out of 5 for me, as this is no contest one of my most favorite movies of all time.

Oh, and I've got a couple on the list to fulfill the boy's request... TeddyR
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:51:11 AM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:20:50 AM »

I saw it for the first time in high school.  My English teacher said it was the best sci-fi film of all time.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 04:46:11 PM »

Definitely one of the most compelling sci-fi stories of all time and definitely the best sci-fi film pre-1968 (although The Thing (1951), Metropolis (1927), Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Island of Lost Souls, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1932) also seem contenders). Is kind of fascinating in that in a way a seemingly benevolent alien comes to warn us about bringing our particular brand of destruction to the rest of the universe and yet in a way the aliens come across as somewhat authoriative - it's our way ... or else.

You got to love the musical score in this one...especially the omnious music that plays everytime Gort appears...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:17:11 AM »

Is kind of fascinating in that in a way a seemingly benevolent alien comes to warn us about bringing our particular brand of destruction to the rest of the universe and yet in a way the aliens come across as somewhat authoriative - it's our way ... or else.

I think part of Klaatu's point was that because his people had given robots like Gort complete authority in deciding how to suppress violence, there was absolutely nothing they could do to stop the robots from wiping out humanity if humans took to the stars with a warlike mindset. Once humans became interstellar travelers, the robots would carry out their mission.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 10:34:10 PM »

I'm watching the director's commentary now...top notch as well.  It's a dual commentary, a kind of interview, conducted with the director of THE DAY AFTER.

At 19:13 and they are talking about COLOSSUS THE FORBIN PROJECT.

Not the typical commentary...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.