Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:20:10 PM
712918 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  DARK SHADOWS (2012) update-no 3-D « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DARK SHADOWS (2012) update-no 3-D  (Read 5144 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: June 02, 2011, 05:14:24 AM »

http://www.slashfilm.com/tim-burton-skipping-3d-dark-shadows/

Good-I'd rather do without the gimmick.
I like many of Tim Burton's earlier films (ED WOOD,BATMAN,ADDAMS FAMILY)....and Johnny Depp is a good actor.
It's also going to be set in 1972!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:30:09 AM »

Hopefully this will lead to House Of Dark Shadows (1970) and Night Of Dark Shadows (1971) finally getting a DVD release.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:31:56 AM »

Hopefully this will lead to House Of Dark Shadows (1970) and Night Of Dark Shadows (1971) finally getting a DVD release.

I agree!!!!!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:08:14 AM »

I am very curious about this one.  When  I was a VERY young child, I was a TOTAL Dark Shadows freak.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »

Oh, yeah.  I saw HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS in the theater with my father when I was about 6 years old.  Scared the s**t out of me when Barnabas Collins turned into an old man.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »

Oh, yeah.  I saw HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS in the theater with my father when I was about 6 years old.  Scared the s**t out of me when Barnabas Collins turned into an old man.

fact is-none of these kids nowadays knows-or cares I reckon-except hardcore fan boys-about the old DARK SHADOWS tv shows or movies. I recall watching the soap-and reading about the movies in Famous Monsters mag....many give NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS hell cuz theres no Barnabus or vampires. It IS a great ghost/whitch movie!

I just hope Burton does what he did with Ed Wood-with love.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 07:07:54 PM »

I love the movie HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, have the VHS, and have long sought the DVD release... I'm not as fond of NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS but I definitely need to see it again.  I grew up watching the original TV show though I was too young for such ghastly goings-on - weekday afternoons!!  I have many fond memories... and in the '80s NBC out of New York actually reran the series - maybe 2-4 episodes each weeknight, NBC probably showed the entire series start to finish over many months - starting each at around 3AM!!!  My brother, sister and I being nightowls and old veterans of "DARK SHADOWS" were up and watching them.. this is close to 30 years ago... I think "DARK SHADOWS" followed "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" reruns.  
In any case, "DARK SHADOWS" the TV series is creaky and cheapo.  I have many episodes on VHS (or I did...) and I really enjoy them, especially the very first with BARNABAS.  And the heartbeat, the painting, the jewels... the hidden grave of the living dead, chained in a coffin for nearly 200 years...  TeddyR Great material to work with.   Smile
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:20:00 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 09:43:54 PM »

STAR TREK fans are called Trekkies-I reckon you can call me a Darkie...cuz Im a hardcore fan of the old DARK SHADOWS series and films!

I even had the Barnabus Collins model kit along with my Aurora monsters!!!

I glued the bat to his hand-like it was his pet our somthing-he had a cool cane too. My Ma-who I never saw or heard from since then (1970) sent it to me from NY to Michigan. My Ma and Dad broke up in the late 6o's. I saw her finally again in 1978.

I still got about 3 of these DARK SHADOWS novel series books!!

And Hallows- yer right-Its cheap and goofy-
I love it anyway-
they even had a werewolf!

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:22:36 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 10:41:04 PM »

Trivia time-Barnabus Collins old vampire mold make up came from John Chambers job he had just done for Dustin Hoffman -LITTLE BIG MAN-compare-same s**t. Barnabus was Dustin Hoffman with fangs. In the film HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS.
Really-I dont make this s**t up-I just report it.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 12:56:31 AM »

I took these pics yesterday.  They're builtup vintage models; the WEREWOLF box is empty, but the BARNABAS box has the complete unbuilt model inside...

I didn't paint these, I just collected them. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 06:59:38 AM »

I'd never heard of Dark Shadows until they showed it on the Sci-Fi Channel about 10 - 15 years ago.  Since then I guess you could say I've become somewhat of a fan 

That's 760 episodes   TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 05:52:15 AM »

fact is-none of these kids nowadays knows-or cares I reckon-except hardcore fan boys-about the old DARK SHADOWS tv shows or movies. I recall watching the soap-and reading about the movies in Famous Monsters mag....many give NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS hell cuz theres no Barnabus or vampires. It IS a great ghost/whitch movie!

You know, I've long been familiar with the show, to a degree, and I've had House Of Dark Shadows on VHS for years, but for the longest time I'd never much been interested in it... until lately. My Dan Curtis tastes always ran more towards Kolchak than Collins, but I've recently become extremely smitten with the series after rewatching House Of Dark Shadows again recently for the first time in, gosh, years. In general, I've found my interests shifting somewhat. I've always loved horror/cult/exploitation/b-movie cinema, but for many years I leaned more towards the 1980's splatter horror-comedies, Troma stuff, cartoonish weirdness, extreme gore, off-the-wall surrealism, and the really out there and bizarre. I don't know if I've burnt out on it or what, but I've recently developed renewed passion for things I've long-liked but never really LOVED. Namely, pre-code horror comics, Hammer Horror, Universal Monsters, eurotrash horror, ghost stories, gothic horror, etc. Classic Monster Kid kind of stuff, much of it (though with an admittedly sleazy bent, courtesy of me being me). I'm inching away from the 80's and deeper into the 60's and 70's. Dark Shadows, I think, has come along with it, what with its emphasis on gothic trappings and brooding melodrama.

Of course, that's not to say I'm not still in love with the stuff I loved before. Savage Streets, for instance, will always be one of my all-time favorite movies. But whereas last year I'd be more likely to rattle off titles like Class Of Nuke 'Em High, Troll 2, and Blood Diner as what gets my motor revvin', right now I'd be more likely to express an interest in The Vampire Lovers, Witchfinder General, The Hunchback Of The Morgue (oh christ, I'm on SUCH a Naschy kick these days), The Devil'ss Nightmare, and Curse Of Frankenstein.

Anyway, I'm a young pup yes, but I've developed this zeal for Dark Shadows that probably would be more fitting for someone who's seen more than a handful of episodes on bootleg DVD, the aforementioned House Of Dark Shadows VHS, and a lot of secondhand info gleaned from reading reviews, retrospectives, and reference books. I'm working on plunging deeper into the world of Dark Shadows and seeing it it can retain my interest.

As far as the upcoming Tim Burton movie goes, I have high hopes... but my expectations are pessimistic. I'd like to see something along the lines of Ed Wood in terms of quality and (for Burton) groundedness, but I'm dreadingg something more along the lines of Charlie & The Chocolate Factory or Planet Of The Apes. Gah!

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 03:27:08 PM »

I took these pics yesterday.  They're builtup vintage models; the WEREWOLF box is empty, but the BARNABAS box has the complete unbuilt model inside...

I didn't paint these, I just collected them. 

Very cool collection!  I remember these kits, and the other kits that Aurora had when they "revamped" the Aurora Monsters.  Be that as was, I liked the earlier 60's era kits with the optional glow-in-the-dark parts, some of which I still have.

Oh yeah, House Of Dark Shadows was on AMC about 3 weeks ago. I DVR'ed it and enjoyed it all over again. It was clear from the atmosphere that Dan Curtis was a big fan of the Hammer classic horror movies, and while there was a definite distinction between Hammer and Curtis, the influence was undeniable. Good stuff!

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 01:10:49 PM »

Alan finally rented this film and I must say I did enjoy it. It had some comedy plus a decent dose of creepiness. I could have done without the sex scene with Barnabas and Angelique....it was somewhat silly and overdone. But,overall I'd give it a 3 1/2 out of 5.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  DARK SHADOWS (2012) update-no 3-D « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.